Wvu Taking Quite The Risk | The Boneyard

Wvu Taking Quite The Risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
WVU has seemed to go "all-in" on this. While it my be unlikely, it could lead to a very bad situation for them.

I don't know how likely it is to happen, but what if it plays out this way. WVU is invited to the B12 on the condition that they join in 2012. If they don't join in 2012, then they are not invited. What if the Big East wins the lawsuit(as most expect that they will), WVU loses its B12 invite, and is also locked out of the Big East. Has WVU burned enough bridges that the Big East would not take them back if the B12 falls through?

Could you imagine if WVU is left out of a BCS conference because of this 'all-in' risk that they seem to be taking here? The Big East wouldn't even have to kick them out 0f the conference....WVU has already withdrawn. WVU could be left either as an independent or stuck having to join CUSA. They would lose their road to the BCS, lose out on all quality bowl games, lose out on significant revenue with no TV contract, and have to schedule as an independent after having made enemies with many of the major schools in their geography. Or if not an independent...being stuck in CUSA (without Houston, UCF, SMU, etc) and have to be in the same conference as Marshall! They would be completely screwed!

Or if the Big East feels like being really spitefull....once WVU is stuck in no mans land...invite Marshall to the Big East to completely minimize WVU (I know that will never happen).

Whatever happens...WVU is taking a huge risk and it could turn out to be the worst move they have ever made. Not sure the temporary home in the B12 (we all know it will only last 6 years until Texlahoma splits) is worth this huge risk.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree that it is a big risk, and I have considered the potential outcome. WVU must have some assurance that the Big 12 will let them in no matter what, because the Big East would have no reason to let WVU back in the fold after this stunt.

Reaction Score
Of course, the B12 could invite Bosie, SMU, or UH for next year and then offer a trade for WVU. It's not like those schools will be playing BE football next year. By then, we could offer all the defectors an early exit (for 13 season) at a premium, say an extra 5MM (or the then current (13) exit fee of 10MM). Short of that they are looking at Tulsa, Southern Miss, New Mexico and other bottom feeders.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of course, the B12 could invite Bosie, SMU, or UH for next year and then offer a trade for WVU. It's not like those schools will be playing BE football next year. By then, we could offer all the defectors an early exit (for 13 season) at a premium, say an extra 5MM (or the then current (13) exit fee of 10MM). Short of that they are looking at Tulsa, Southern Miss, New Mexico and other bottom feeders.

Most likely, Missouri doesn't leave the Big 12 until WVU can join.

Reaction Score
I think if the date for WVU's departure was 2013 this would be a no issue. The SEC has already said they are comfortable with a 13 team schedule for a year, so Missouri could stay for 2013 and have a smooth replacement by WVU in 2014. The problem is the 27 month by-law encompassses 2014. Neither Missouri or the SEC are comfortable waiting 2 years to make the move. I agree that this will likely work out with WVU and Missouri staying put for 2013. Both making the move in 2014, with the BE gettig a few more million and an agreement to schedule home and home series with several B-12 teams.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
"I'm taking an awful risk, Vader..this had better work!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads