WVU Rejected by ACC & SEC | The Boneyard

WVU Rejected by ACC & SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
wow.. I thought the SEC would want them. Apparently the small fan base is the issue.

Reaction Score
Talk about locker room poster material! If West Virginia ever meets a team from the current ACC or the SEC - watch out!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the source is credible. No conference is going to tip their hands with so much uncertainty going on.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the source is credible. No conference is going to tip their hands with so much uncertainty going on.
I agree. That would be dumb, for both conferences.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why would WVU be a good fit for the ACC?
i'm not even sure UCONN is a good fit for the ACC. i mean let's face it - from a hoops perspective it's a home run. men's and women's hoops is huge. but what about our football program? small fan base, small stadium, semi-decent market, but does our market really include any of the NYC or Boston markets? i don't think so. honestly, if the ACC has to share revenue even further, what exactly does UCONN bring to the table? from the football perspective, why would UCONN be attractive for them?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
1) If UConn does join, it not only makes it the most powerful basketball conference, it also has Calhoun, Boeheim, Coach K, and Geno in the same conference.

2) It increases the profile of women's basketball exponentially.

3) From a football perspective, UConn is coming off of a BCS game less then a decade of making the jump to FBS (or is it FCS...I can never remember). There is a lot of potential there

But your points are noted. It is a not a home run for football by any stretch.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Why would WVU be a good fit for the ACC?
1) Football. WVU puts a quality and highly ranked team on the field every year and have flirted several times with a NC run. They're currently 3-0 and ranked #16.
2) MBB. Quality program and often ranked high. FF team in 2009-10 ended as #3 behind Duke & Butler.
3) Geography. Eastern time zone, mid-Atlantic area.
4) WBB. Mike Carey puts a quality product on the floor. Held a Top 10 ranking for a good deal of 2010-11.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
1) Football. WVU puts a quality and highly ranked team on the field every year and have flirted several times with a NC run. They're currently 3-0 and ranked #16.
2) MBB. Quality program and often ranked high. FF team in 2009-10 ended as #3 behind Duke & Butler.
3) Geography. Eastern time zone, mid-Atlantic area.
4) WBB. Mike Carey puts a quality product on the floor. Held a Top 10 ranking for a good deal of 2010-11.
Mike Carey would love to get into the ACC. He has done amazingly well with only the occasional very good recruit. I could see him recruiting much better in the southeast as an ACC member.

Reaction Score
i'm not even sure UCONN is a good fit for the ACC. i mean let's face it - from a hoops perspective it's a home run. men's and women's hoops is huge. but what about our football program? small fan base, small stadium, semi-decent market, but does our market really include any of the NYC or Boston markets? i don't think so. honestly, if the ACC has to share revenue even further, what exactly does UCONN bring to the table? from the football perspective, why would UCONN be attractive for them?

It isn't UConn per say that they like but rather the market. Advertisers love the NY/Boston demographics and adding UConn would increase the value of any ACC TV package. UConn may not have a top 25 football program right now but they have done a pretty good job building both of their BB programs into elite status. I would speculate that increasing the size of the stadium would be a precondition and that financing that expension would need political support. These things are much more complicated and varied than we can imagine and a lot of those have nothing to do with athletics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It isn't UConn per say that they like but rather the market. Advertisers love the NY/Boston demographics and adding UConn would increase the value of any ACC TV package. UConn may not have a top 25 football program right now but they have done a pretty good job building both of their BB programs into elite status. I would speculate that increasing the size of the stadium would be a precondition and that financing that expension would need political support. These things are much more complicated and varied than we can imagine and a lot of those have nothing to do with athletics.
totally agree but how much of the Boston/NYC market does UCONN really bring? i did read a poster who said UCONN was the #4 draw on SUNY or whatever that NY sports channel is. that's good news IMHO...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
UConn and Syracuse, coupled with Boston College, would bring the market. I think it is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
All you have to do is look at a map. The ACC, formerly dominated by NC schools (and a couple outliers like Maryland and Georgia Tech), first reached into Florida (Miami and FSU), then in two coups, reeled in BC, Pitt and Syracuse, and now seems on the verge of adding UConn and maybe Rutgers. TV coverage throughout all of New England, upstate NY, plus half of Pennsylvania, and all of New Jersey. And then Maryland, Virginia, NC, etc. I see no college football competition in that vast region except Penn State.

That's a helluva lot of TV sets.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I'm in the mood on a Saturday afternoon to watch a football game where I'm not rooting for a favorite school, I prefer to watch the SEC and then Big 12 (Okla, Texas). I don't think I would decide to watch an ACC game over an SEC team, Texas, or Oklahoma. I would probably watch a Big 10 game over an ACC game. Like the B10, I don't find the ACC game as wide open and exciting as the SEC, Texas & Oklahoma. Although I dislike the school, Univ of Southern Cal also plays an exciting style.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
US News and World Report rankings of ACC and potential ACC schools:

duke- 10
notre dame- 19
uva- 25
wake- 25
unc- 29
bc- 31
gtech- 36
miami- 36
texas- 45
md- 55
uconn- 58
pitt- 58
cuse- 62
clemson- 68
rutgers- 68
vtech- 71
fsu- 101
nc state- 101
wvu- 164

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1) If UConn does join, it not only makes it the most powerful basketball conference, it also has Calhoun, Boeheim, Coach K, and Geno in the same conference.

2) It increases the profile of women's basketball exponentially.

3) From a football perspective, UConn is coming off of a BCS game less then a decade of making the jump to FBS (or is it FCS...I can never remember). There is a lot of potential there

But your points are noted. It is a not a home run for football by any stretch.

UConn also has a quality baseball team that was one game shy of the CWS this year. Unfortunately it had to play the reigning champion, South Carolina, to get there.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
For the ACC, West Virginia was a great fit from a football perspective and a terrible fit from an academic one.

Reaction Score
For the ACC, West Virginia was a great fit from a football perspective and a terrible fit from an academic one.

You nailed it. This realignment is all about football as a revenue driver . It is important in which TV market you play in and how important the university is to that market area. This is about how much market share you can own and how valuable to the TV broadcast contract can you contribute. Sorry to say , as much as we love the ladies and their significance in the college landscape, their TV revenue is virtually negligable.
And because this has to be sold to the university presidents for approval, the academic standing becomes important for their buy in.

Reaction Score

Well, really, some of the same arguments can be made for about Georgia Tech. Yes, they are already in the ACC, but the similarities to the statements you make could apply to them as well. Their fan base is fairly small - Georgia is the "big dog" in the Atlanta market. When you go to Atlanta, you really see much more Georgia apparel being worn than Tech. Athletically, Tech doesn't rule the television sets in Atlanta. Bobby Dodd Stadium holds 55,000. Okay, bigger than the Rent, but not huge by any means. Duke's stadium seats about 34,000. Wake Forest's stadium is 31,000. The Rent, at 40,000 wouldn't be the smallest stadium if included in the ACC. I think UConn brings as much to the table from a fan base, stadium size, and television market as some of the current ACC members.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We folks in Big Ten territory would say those are cute stadiums. How long until the full size stadium is built?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We folks in Big Ten territory would say those are cute stadiums. How long until the full size stadium is built?

Heck The Rent is barely cracking standard for Texas High School Football stadiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom