WV settles with Big East - Gone next season | The Boneyard

WV settles with Big East - Gone next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are two things I'll miss about not playing WVa in the BE tournament. (We don't get to go any more now that we live across the country, but two things stood out.) First, watching a team pre[pared by their coach. I remember the year he came to the tournament prepared to lose in the first round and the team got all the way to (I believe it was) the finals. I believe one of their best players was out with an injury, and they were wonderful underdogs that year. The coach's honest assessment of their chances made the back story all the better.

Second, the WVa band, which, among Big East bands was, in my opinion, the absolute best. Amazing low-brass driven sound that was unlike anyone else's.

Reaction Score
Is that the team with that fires that darned MUSKET?

I won't miss that!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
laughable and sad that West Virginia is going to be in the BIG 12!

and TAMU to the SEC!!!!

Sad that football drives this crazy mess of realignment.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It's a huge loss for BE WCBB. I actually hope Carey now gets an offer he can't refuse and goes to Texas or TN.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, Speedo, but you brought a big grin to my face!:)
Can you imagine the "offer he can't refuse" scene from "The Godfather", but when Don Corleone opens his mouth, it sounds like somebody from Texas or Tennessee? Or, put Pat or Jody in that tux with the red rose, and play the scene? (this isn't a new affectation of mine: for years, I've enjoyed singing the "Tigger" song as Don Corleone!).

Mind you, if Pat looked me in the eye, and made me an "offer I can't refuse", I'd believe her, right down to my trembling toes!:eek:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I will miss Mike Carey. He is a very good coach and always has his team ready to play. Won't miss the Mountaineer mascot and his musket, however.....

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Oh, come now -- who can forget first time UConn players going to Morgantown and experiencing "the musket" for the first time. Hilarious! :)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Oh, come now -- who can forget first time UConn players going to Morgantown and experiencing "the musket" for the first time. Hilarious! :)

Touche! And now I have that silly song in my head - West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home..... as Kelly Faris would say, DANG!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Touche! And now I have that silly song in my head - West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home..... as Kelly Faris would say, DANG!
You probably did not really mean it's a silly song, right?

Anyway, most everyone knows it was one of John Denver's big hits, and yes, he did write it, but not by himself. Anyone happen to know who co-wrote it with him? Without researching it of course!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hate to see WVU leave the Big East.... and I hate to see all of this conference realignment. As a die-hard ACC fan, I do realize we started it all back in 2003..... and continued with it this past September.... so in a way I do feel a bit guilty. Of all of the moves... this one is definitely the worse in terms of "making sense". I sure cant wait for those WVU vs TTech basketball games on a wednesday night. Or the WVU vs Iowa State matchup in football :rolleyes:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Anyway, most everyone knows it was one of John Denver's big hits, and yes, he did write it, but not by himself. Anyone happen to know who co-wrote it with him? Without researching it of course!

Okay, it isn't silly - (andwith all due respects to that fine WV native, Renee Montgomery), it is a good song. But it is annoying to have stuck in your head on the drive home....and no, I don't know who co-wrote it.....please let us know.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

I'm quite sure it was Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert--the Starland Vocal Band. I saw them perform in the early 1970s in Washington, DC.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
As for songs, this is as good a place as any to note that during last night's game, the Oklahoma band was, of course, playing their state song, Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma." But it amused me to wonder if any of them knew where it was written. In the Taft Hotel in New Haven, CONNECTICUT, right next to the Shubert Theater (in 1943).

Reference

Reaction Score
Second, the WVa band, which, among Big East bands was, in my opinion, the absolute best. Amazing low-brass driven sound that was unlike anyone else's.

How long have you been away? Since DePaul joined the conference, IMHO, they are hands down the best pep band at the Big East Tournament every year. The only better band that I can ever remember hearing in Gampel or XL is Hampton University in the 2000 NCAAs. Now THAT is a pep band! Ask Swin Cash how much she liked the Hampton band!

Reaction Score

Er, Joe Montana? Well, you did say without researching.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How long have you been away? Since DePaul joined the conference, IMHO, they are hands down the best pep band at the Big East Tournament every year. The only better band that I can ever remember hearing in Gampel or XL is Hampton University in the 2000 NCAAs. Now THAT is a pep band! Ask Swin Cash how much she liked the Hampton band!

http://espn.go.com/espnw/womens-college-basketball/7506182/they-get-amped-hampton-hoops-americaHampton's Band

http://espn.go.com/espnw/womens-college-basketball/7506182/they-get-amped-hampton-hoops-america

Reaction Score

Hampton is good, but you really have to see and hear George Mason to believe them. My daughter went to a small Midwestern unoversity that got its big chance in the Frozen Four a few years ago. They couldn't even bring their band, so through happy circumstance GMU's pep band agreed to play for them at the tournament. The team lost, but they had the best band by far.

That aside, I've heard DePaul's band and liked them, but I don't think they can hold a candle to WVU's. Probably just a matter of taste.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WV is one team that I am glad to see coming into the Big 12. That should offer a challenging game for everyone involved.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
griner threatned to punch marinate if the deal wasn't reached soon. he folded under pressure.

Reaction Score
This lose helps UCONN with recruiting in TX, Tenn, FL.........WV BB teams will do well in their new conference......

Best wishes......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99