WTNH: UConn is finding out just how competitive Dan Hurley practices are... | The Boneyard

WTNH: UConn is finding out just how competitive Dan Hurley practices are...

Reaction Score
Leaderboards are great. I use them myself. Perfect for getting a team to compete because it immediately shows whos slacking.

And you can tailor criteria. Hurleys points are, im sure, coming from first to the floor plays, leadership moments, communication, etc.

Reaction Score
One thing I’ve noticed so far about this offseason, Hurley and his players have engaged the media far more the KO ever did.

That is at the head coach's discretion. The media had access to practices under KO until Borges tweeted something out by accident and from then on, practices were closed for the remainder of KO's time as coach. Borges talks about this in his book recapping the 2014 Championship run.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
That is at the head coach's discretion. The media had access to practices under KO until Borges tweeted something out by accident and from then on, practices were closed for the remainder of KO's time as coach. Borges talks about this in his book recapping the 2014 Championship run.

This approach to the media did not help KO in the long run... instead I think it isolated him even more.

Reaction Score
More guys went to the floor on that one loose ball than all of last year combined.

Last 2 years is more like it. I remember seeing a couple half hearted attempts in which players went to their knees before the “dive” but not many full out participants. So good to see that will change and everyone will be on board regarding that kind of effort.

Reaction Score
KO's "fake it til you make it" approach to coaching didn't lend itself to media availability.

This “fake it til you make it” sounds like a KOism so deep down inside you miss him already.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Do we really have to bring up KO in every thread? Whether or not you have an irrational hatred of the man or irrationally think he did a good job and got a raw deal, I think it's time in threads about the 18-19 Huskies to just let it go.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Do we really have to bring up KO in every thread? Whether or not you have an irrational hatred of the man or irrationally think he did a good job and got a raw deal, I think it's time in threads about the 18-19 Huskies to just let it go.

Well, you are going to get it all year long, hatred or not. Comparison to prior years is completely natural when talking about the team. Their will be plenty of comparison to JC as well, but with a new coach, the comparative statements to recent teams will be magnified 10-fold.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Well, you are going to get it all year long, hatred or not. Comparison to prior years is completely natural when talking about the team. Their will be plenty of comparison to JC as well, but with a new coach, the comparative statements to recent teams will be magnified 10-fold.

I can live with comparisons to the team, and even specific comparisons between Hurley and Ollie's coaching styles. I'm just sick of not being able to go 4 or 5 posts in any on-topic thread on the board without somebody having to trash the guy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s not cool to go on the floor during a basketball game. Even if you’re diving for a ball, some one will claim that they “made you fall.”

Reaction Score

When the entire newsworthiness of the article is based on an implied comparison in the title, it seems likely it will be broached.

Reaction Score

Yes. Please check your Boneyard Best Practices, in particular section 6.2.

Reaction Score

Nah. It's the gratuitous shots at the guy, not any "comparisons." But it's also the same handful of people every time so you can tune them out because, frankly, they didn't bring all that much to the table before he got canned.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nah. It's the gratuitous shots at the guy, not any "comparisons." But it's also the same handful of people every time so you can tune them out because, frankly, they didn't bring all that much to the table before he got canned.

Tbf I'd hardly call the first KO post a gratuitous shot at the guy. Closer to an astute observation.

One thing I’ve noticed so far about this offseason, Hurley and his players have engaged the media far more the KO ever did.

Last edited:

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Well to be quite frank, I feel like you guys are just getting too emotional when talking about him just because he’s an alumni. Personally, I couldn’t care less that he’s an alumni, he has made UConn a complete joke the last few years and that’s all that matters to me. WINNING.
This might be controversial but keep in mind I don’t have a connection to the University besides being a big fan. I’d like to go there one day, but not right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom