Wtby Rep-Am Cancelling my subscription/follow | The Boneyard

Wtby Rep-Am Cancelling my subscription/follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well Lee Lewis finally did it.

I'm cancelling my print subscription. I've cut off my twitter follows. The newspaper can go ahead and die.

Today's College Football commentary - kickoff week:

"Be upbeat on the Huskies"

Sounds great right? Catches your attention wants to make you read?

Here's the opening.

By Lee Lewis Republican-American
It is all too common (and frankly, too easy) to poke fun at the UConn football program. Or worse, to disregard it totally.

'When we see public campaigns to sell discounted tickets to the season opener, or take note of the chronically late-arriving and early-leaving Rentschler Field crowds, the conclusions we draw are not positive.

People just don't care about the team. People in the Northeast don't understand what it's like to be a college football fan. People humor the school by pretending to care, while not so secretly counting the days until basketball begins.'

Doesn't get any better than that, actually encourages people to leave sports events early "to beat traffic on i-84"

After all that garbage, he predicts an 8-4 season. May as well have just said - ignore UConn football, Lee - it's what your paper does.

The article is the biggest piece of garbage on uconn football to date from that rag. The paper can die. Sports are what keep a newspaper alive right now, just like TV.

The greater waterbury area, and naugatuck valley is one of the most dedicated youth football communities in the entire state. We're talking about 100,000+ people in the city alone, plus the entire communities up and down the valley, that are served by this paper.

Disgusting.

Cancelled.

Sports page will be in the litter box as soon as I get up.

I hope you're reading Lee.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I concur.

As a longtime Waterbury resident, the Rep-Am has been dead to me for over a decade: petty, myopic and close-minded, and it goes far beyond the sports page.

I refuse to touch/open/read that rag ever again...

Reaction Score
Seems to be an attempt at reverse psychology to me. Ryan Griffin IS the headline in the sports section.

http://www.rep-am.com/sports/

If it were an out of the blue one time thing - sure. Not the case. FYI: the article on Griffin is decent. Daigneault wrote it. Only problem with the article is that Griffin isn't listed as the #1 TE for opening day, on the depth chart that's been available for at least 48 hours now - and nary a mention

I'm sure that's going to be addressed by the media at today's pre-game presser. I wonder if that paper has anybody in Storrs today.

Daigneault's been trying in the past year or so, and if I'm not mistaken, has had more than one foot in mouth episodes of trying to break some football news....but at least it appears that he's startign to get that it's important. He put togehter a nice capsule on the entire fall schedule with a breakdown of the story lines in each game.

But Lewis ruins anything positive Daigneault did.

Waterbury and the communities from Bridgeport all the way to Torrington, are some of the most dedicated youth football communities in the state, and there are a lot of people that follow football.

It would serve the Courant, the Norwalk paper, the New Haven papers good, to tap into those communities somehow, b/c the waterbury paper is a fail.

No more money of mine going to the clocktower.

Reaction Score
The Rep-Am is the worst newspaper in the state. If someone hands me a free copy I don't even bother reading it.

Reaction Score
Ed D was there... I think these guys are trying real hard to balance old skool reporting (read that as in print in tomorrow's paper) with the rapid dissimination of info through social media (twitter, facebook, newspaper blogs).

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault
#UConn LB Sio Moore said he is trying to "not jump out of my skin too early." He's a bit antsy to start playing.

If you think Scott McCummings won't be used at QB, I feel sorry for you. Good try, PP.

PP coy on using multiple QBs: "We'll see how the game goes. Right now the plan is for Chandler to start."

PP is dry but sometimes give you gems. "This is a show-me game. It really is. You have to line up and show you can do it."

PP at PK Chad Christen replacing Dave Teggart: "He's had a good camp. ... He has to prove that he can do it."

PP says QB Chandler Whitmer's decision making is getting better. "He has to understand he has a team around him."

PP said excitement of the first game never changes. Nice after 40 years that he feels that way.

PP said Angelo Pruitt gave Julian Campenni a run to start at DT. Will be young pups playing for injured Shamar Stephen.

Pasqualoni said Delahunt over Griffin at TE on depth chart means nothing. "I don't know who will start, to tell you the truth," he said.

#UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni likes the potetnial of a rivalry with UMass, which is transitioning to FBS status.

UMass coach Charley Molnar knows #UConn. He was Brian Kelly's offensive coordinator at Cincinnati. Before Pasqualoni arrived at UConn.

Gorgeous day, but sitting inside Burton Family Football Complex for first #UConn football media availability of the season.

Reaction Score
Surprised it took you this long to cancel. I cancelled my Courant subscription some years ago because of their continuous precious editorials on a variety of subjects. They continue today with their fatuous drivel. I never read the Waterbury paper but I know Lee Lewis' type. I did think most of his ilk had retired or died but there seem to be a few around still.

Reaction Score
Just wondering what his angle is. Personal bias or just a guy who likes to stir things up from a perch he doesn't deserve to sit on.

Reaction Score
Surprised it took you this long to cancel. I cancelled my Courant subscription some years ago because of their continuous precious editorials on a variety of subjects. They continue today with their fatuous drivel. I never read the Waterbury paper but I know Lee Lewis' type. I did think most of his ilk had retired or died but there seem to be a few around still.

The grocery flyers and coupon books come in the paper on Thrusdays and Sundays, otherwise I would have done it long ago, but opening up the paper this morning, was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, I'll have to get the flyers for her elsewhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Isn't it worse that Ed can't even get to the NCSU game without making a factual error.

Reaction Score
The Rep-Am is the worst newspaper in the state. If someone hands me a free copy I don't even bother reading it.

You obviously have never read the Meriden Record Journal.

The only reason I keep it is that I do the crossword while dropping a deuce.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I wonder how many people read a gem like that from Lewis and say "I got to have this paper"? What is the point of a lazy article like that one that only pisses off fans? It's not like there is some journalistic objective to a column like that. Why bother?

Reaction Score
'When we....take note of the chronically late-arriving and early-leaving Rentschler Field crowds, the conclusions we draw are not positive. People just don't care about the team. People in the Northeast don't understand what it's like to be a college football fan"

Sounds like you're shooting the messenger. He's not saying anything in the comments above that I don't agree with. Until we get our fannies in our seats by kickoff, and are focused on the game more than the beer in the parking lot, we'll be fighting an uphill battle for the respect we all seek for the program.
Rather than cancel your subscription in disgust (which is your right), how about getting disgusted enough to encourage all your buddies to get in their seats for the Husky entrance and some of the pre-game, so that when the cameras come on at kickoff, we don't look like a fan base that doesn't measure up to the perceptions of a big time college program.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you're shooting the messenger. He's not saying anything in the comments above that I don't agree with. Until we get our fannies in our seats by kickoff, and are focused on the game more than the beer in the parking lot, we'll be fighting an uphill battle for the respect we all seek for the program.
Rather than cancel your subscription in disgust (which is your right), how about getting disgusted enough to encourage all your buddies to get in their seats for the Husky entrance and some of the pre-game, so that when the cameras come on at kickoff, we don't look like a fan base that doesn't measure up to the perceptions of a big time college program.

If you are even a casual a sports fan in the the readership area, would you even consider buying tickets to a game after reading that?

Reaction Score

Open up the timing of tailgating, so for a noon game you can set up after and stay till 6pm. That way get to enjoy victory, don't worry so much about driving out in such a rush.

Reaction Score
I think the Waterbury R-A is the best paper in the state., followed by the J-I. The Hartford Courant is the IMHO worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom