Wow - that was some crap there | The Boneyard

Wow - that was some crap there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's bad enough that we're mired in this league, but it's just mind-numbing that we're playing down to it every night.

I have no idea what Kevin Ollie says in his pregame pep talks, but I wish he'd let Hobbs handle it because these kids come out of their face every night. They can't score, they turn the ball over like they're drunk and they're a threat to go sub-50% at the line on any given night.

How do you go 8-18 from the free throw line? How do you let Tulsa run the game off the clock without fouling? How do you send Tulsa to the line 30 times? How does a UConn team get manhandled by the likes of Tulsa?

9-6 and heading to Stanford...what could go wrong there?

Reaction Score
It's bad enough that we're mired in this league, but it's just mind-numbing that we're playing down to it every night.

I have no idea what Kevin Ollie says in his pregame pep talks, but I wish he'd let Hobbs handle it because these kids come out of their face every night. They can't score, they turn the ball over like they're drunk and they're a threat to go sub-50% at the line on any given night.

How do you go 8-18 from the free throw line? How do you let Tulsa run the game off the clock without fouling? How do you send Tulsa to the line 30 times? How does a UConn team get manhandled by the likes of Tulsa?

Depends on which team shows up. This one is bi-polar.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Ollie has been basically a non factor the last few games. Just sleepwalking out there. Or sleep sitting maybe.

Reaction Score

We know we are capable of playing with pretty much any team in the country minus Kentucky, that's what makes it so frustrating. They were unprepared in every aspect of the game, it was like they didn't even know Tulsa is a terrible outside shooting team. We are the worst inbounding team in the country from what I've seen, fundamentals seem to be getting worse. We have the talent to hang with any team but when you play that horribly and when your top 4 scorers don't show up you can lose to anyone. Ollie didn't have them prepared and he wasn't engaged in that game, the players tend to feed off of his energy and he was an energy vampire tonight. They better figure it out quickly or this season will be lost.

C

Chief00

Need Omar's shooting to start the court spacing better. Agree the Pre-game routine needs to be changed. Poor foul shooting is a sign their minds are not in the game. Also not fouling a 45% foul shooter with 2 minutes left given the spread at the time is really bad.

Reaction Score
based on their performance in games like tonight, I question whether this team knows the difference between a fast break and breakfast
so many puzzling behaviors on this squad, seriously developmentally arrested when it comes to the fundamentals of the game
one hopes it can only get better over upcoming games...it has to, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
Need Omar's shooting to start the court spacing better. Agree the Pre-game routine needs to be changed. Poor foul shooting is a sign their minds are not in the game. Also not fouling a 45% foul shooter with 2 minutes left given the spread at the time is really bad.
did you see omar tonight bruh? check the stat line minutes played. wouldn't be suprised if we win in palo alto

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ollie and Boat MIA tonight, not sure why

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Earthquake?

Reaction Score
this whole idea of giving or not giving ollie a 'pass' is bizarre. you want someone else in here doing his job? its on the players. we need more playmaking from them simple

Reaction Score
I'm trying to decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Agree someone has to help him. I turned that hot mess off with 10'minutes left and followed on my phone. I was about to have a heart attack watching it any longer. This game is one of the worst displays of uconn bball I have seen in my 35 plus years of watching them. Not due to the effort but how they played. Just not fundamentally sound on offense or defense. I can't remember a game like this before with decent talent. Maybe the 09-10 team at the end of the season when they had given up.

Reaction Score
willie99 said:
Ollie and Boat MIA tonight, not sure why

Boat didn't give us one hustle play in 40 minutes. Very unlike him. I figure his thigh caught up to him a bit, since he was flat as a pancake and just never got it going. He seemed to spend the whole second half deferring , and there was nobody to defer to. His jumper was off, but he also stopped attacking after the and one early in the second half and on a day like today, we needed a little bit of gunslinger Boat. I'm going to assume he felt like he had nothing in his legs because otherwise it was an odd performance.

If anything good came out of the day it was maybe that DHam came out his midseason funk when there was nothing to lose. I know he's had his struggles lately, but he can't go into hiding and be afraid to make a play. He had 16, and it would have been 18 if either Purvis didn't throw the ball behind him or if these refs didn't love the sound if their whistles - I've seen worse travels go uncalled (not blaming the refs at all - they blew a lot of bloody whistles both ways). Plus he gave us 12 boards. If we are going to peak late in the year, he has to be ready to be a playmaker. That's a lot to ask of him - ideally you'd like your freshmen to be able to defer, but we don't have enough places to get points without him looking to create.

Samuel also have us a good effort, minus a couple awkward finish attempts. Brimah was good late when he stopped being afraid of his 4th foul - he can't find the happy medium between a too aggressive fouler and a too passive red carpet. But positives were few and far between. Guys who had taken steps forward took steps backward (Omar, Lubin, Facey). And instead of our O catching up to our D, our D got as bad as our O.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just came out flat and without any sense of urgency the entire game.

Something needs to change and it has to happen quickly.

Very disappointing game, nothing else to add

Reaction Score
I'm not going to make excuses for ko, but it must be tough to game plan when your dealing with personal issues.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to make excuses for ko, but it must be tough to game plan when your dealing with personal issues.

KO gets no pass there people deal with divorce every day and perform their jobs. Just a weird team, they practice FTs a lot yet can't shoot them in games. The halfcourt D is very good and excellent at times but They don't pressure effectively. They need to turn teams over and get more easy buckets. I don't have a clue what they work on from the offensive perspective in practice.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Some of your reactions after games is as bipolar as the team you are complaining about. This team just isn't very good...not sure why some of you get your hopes up when we beat a Cinci team that straight up can't score. We have 1 scorer on this team not 4 like last year....DHam is at least a year away. This team is going to play hard some nights and not so hard other nights...but to be perplexed or confused as to why this is happening means you just don't understand college kids, sometimes they just don't care....i.e Kentucky going to double OT. Lastly, we aren't exactly a dominate regular season team.... we are more Eli Manning(who I hate) than Peyton, we peak when it counts.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
KO gets no pass there people deal with divorce every day and perform their jobs. Just a weird team, they practice FTs a lot yet can't shoot them in games. The halfcourt D is very good and excellent at times but They don't pressure effectively. They need to turn teams over and get more easy buckets. I don't have a clue what they work on from the offensive perspective in practice.

Didn't know everyone handles things the same way. Thank you for that excellent assessment.

Reaction Score
If i were a betting man i would say the refs had a side bet between the three of them to see who could call the most fouls. I normally don't poo poo the reffing, but in this game i have to. I initially thought 'this has got to be their first game reffing', and for sure i hope we don't see this trio again this year, i thought they were pathetic. My other thought is that from what i saw, neither team had any continuity to play anywhere near a Division I game. UUUUUUGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLYYYYY.

Reaction Score
Is it too late for boat to redshirt? I feel bad for him using up his last year of eligibility with this young team. One more year experience for everyone plus a legitimate second ball handler in adams and I think boat leaves uconn the way he deserves...

Sadly it's not looking like a happy ending for him

Edit: that first question is rhetorical

Reaction Score
How can your starting backcourt go 2-8 from the free-throw line...pretty pathetic.

How many games this year are we going to score 4pts in the first 10 minutes....getting old guys, need a new strategy.

Reaction Score
Definitely thought Ollie was sitting on the bench in the 2nd half when we could have made a run despite playing so awfully.

We definitely made them look good, giving up buckets that were there, letting the ball slip out of bounds, but am I the only one that was turned insane by the officiating? They called a couple odd ones our way, but through the first half, they had called maybe 1 chippy on them, and at least 5 on us. They called us for 3 moving picks maybe more, while Tulsa was setting moving picks every single play, and only finally got called on one when the picker had the nerve to bump the defender, and then re-bump him again, and only after the second did they call it.

Reaction Score
Is it too late for boat to redshirt? I feel bad for him using up his last year of eligibility with this young team. One more year experience for everyone plus a legitimate second ball handler in adams and I think boat leaves uconn the way he deserves...

Sadly it's not looking like a happy ending for him

Edit: that first question is rhetorical
Boat was a no show tonight and has two losses that he could've changed the course of by hitting free throws with 10 seconds or less. Having to deal with Purvis and DHam's constant mistakes is no picnic, but let's not act like he's without blame for some of these losses and is pulling a Kemba here, he hasn't been that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom