Would you rather have Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker and Christyn Williams or Paige Bueckers, Evina Westbrook and Christyn Williams? | The Boneyard

Would you rather have Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker and Christyn Williams or Paige Bueckers, Evina Westbrook and Christyn Williams?

Reaction Score
As the countdown continues to the start of the 2020-21 women's college basketball season on Nov. 25, ESPN.com's panel of experts is making its predictions for all of the nation's top conferences.

Women's college basketball 2020-21 Big East predictions -- UConn returns, resumes role as top dog

Among the topics explored:

Would you rather have Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker and Christyn Williams or Paige Bueckers, Evina Westbrook and Christyn Williams?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As the countdown continues to the start of the 2020-21 women's college basketball season on Nov. 25, ESPN.com's panel of experts is making its predictions for all of the nation's top conferences.

Women's college basketball 2020-21 Big East predictions -- UConn returns, resumes role as top dog

A lot of the comparisons were based on whether we really see a big jump to Christyn's game from Sophomore to junior and most feel Paige and a healthy Evina have a bit of that magical "edge".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To me, the question is a simple one. Do you want the KNOWN with Crystal, Megan and Christyn, or the UNKNOWN with Paige, Evina and Christyn. I'll try the unknown. That one would be more fun and interesting, they might pleasantly surprise you. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I’ll take the latter for $200 Alex, hoping it’s a daily double championship! :rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Speaking of unknowns and somewhat OT (not completely).

Does everyone agree that Crystal played better...much better and more consistently than during her senior year at UConn?

She seemed fitter and less effected by the rigorous schedule than in college. The physicality of the pro game seemed not to bother her at all.

Her achievements were seemingly not even expected by her team...But
Minny's paucity of guards meant she was tossed into the pond straightaway and thrived.

Cheryl's genius? ....Isn't the same thing happening with Pheesa?
Other theories?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Does everyone agree that Crystal played better...much better and more consistently than during her senior year at UConn?

She seemed fitter and less effected by the rigorous schedule than in college. The physicality of the pro game seemed not to bother her at all.

Minny's paucity of guards meant she was tossed into the pond straightaway and thrived.

Other theories?
Crystal played somewhat above my expectations. I wasn’t shocked, though.

Napheesa, right about at my expectations. The only thing that surprised me about her rookie year was how far she slipped in the draft.

I agree with the idea that they both landed in the right place with the right coach. I’m glad they both slipped in the draft.

Reaction Score
Such an interesting article. First off, the whole "Without UConn, there was room for programs such as Seton Hall under Tony Bozzella and St. John's under Joe Tartamella to compete for conference championships" piece had me cracking up! When were those two programs ever in the conversation for a conference title? Secondly, who would I rather have? Going into the first game of the year, I would have to go with CD, MW, and CW. I really do not know what Paige, Evina, and CW will bring to the table. I know what CD and MW brought. CW was always a question mark. U you know she has the skills just gotta put it out there on a nightly basis.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Such an interesting article. First off, the whole "Without UConn, there was room for programs such as Seton Hall under Tony Bozzella and St. John's under Joe Tartamella to compete for conference championships" piece had me cracking up! When were those two programs ever in the conversation for a conference title?

Looks like DePaul has won the conference virtually every year since the inception of the new Big East. I'm sure that will be changing very soon...

Reaction Score

Other theories?

What happened with Pheesa? I don't understand your point. She was a beast her senior year. Collier averaged 20.8 ppg, with 10.8 rebounds while shooting 61% from the floor and had a near 2-1 assist to turnover ratio while being the lead player on a Final Four team. I don't get your point. Collier was a beast as a senior. I'd put her around 14th or 15th or 16th greatest Husky ever. I'd probably put her 14 or 15. That's super, isn't it?

I thought at UCONN for Danger anytime she went to the floor I'd fear she'd get hurt. I always looked at her wrist band. Fear of her wrist. But I didn't seem to see it or it wasn't as pronounced.

As far as "was she better?" I don't know. I tend to say about the same relatively speaking. At Minny they wanted her to shoot. She has been a good shooter. And she showed in her sr year - when they played the elite teams that she could shoot and score. A big problem was that there was no one else on UCONN that was able to score well vs the 3 elite teams other than a little bit of AMak I think. SO her scoring got overlooked.

In the 3 big games vs Baylor, Oregon, and SC she averaged 20 ppg, with an efg% of 61.1%. And at UCONN her sr year they were woefully small - as a result that's her defensive weakness was exposed. At least with Minny they have better defensive teammates that can play better help defense.

Reaction Score
If you are talking a Senior Dangerfield, Junior Walker, and Sophomore Williams, I would take them, but if you wait until next year I would ABSOLUTELY take a Sophomore Bueckers, RS Senior Westbrook, and Senior Williams.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if Megan regrets her decision to leave. She could’ve been the Number 1 pick in the draft and got so much media attention instead being a player on a bench that struggled all year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Crystal played somewhat above my expectations. I wasn’t shocked, though.

Napheesa, right about at my expectations. The only thing that surprised me about her rookie year was how far she slipped in the draft.

I agree with the idea that they both landed in the right place with the right coach. I’m glad they both slipped in the draft.

Geno said it’s not when you go, but where you go. In Napheesa and Crystal’s case, it appears he was right, as both have flourished and had immediate success in Minnesota.

Reaction Score

No disrespect for how great Crystal played last year and the improvement in Megan. But if I had to choose, I would rather have Paige, Evina and Christyn. I am so excited to see them play. It is going to be a great run and a great year!

Reaction Score
I think Crystal's rookie success was obviously team fit, but also the result of filling a scoring role. I think she could have scored the ball a lot more at UCONN, but within Geno's system, she was trying to set up teammates and initiate sets. Just looking at the "big" games last year, Crystal was the only player consistently able to score and create her shot.

Back to the question, I think Paige has the ability to create for others more than Crystal. And Evina has the ability to create her own offense more than Meg. So I take this years trio, because I think there are more creative players on the floor, which should help with the stagnant offensive issues.

Reaction Score
I'll predict that in 2 years the biggest debate in BY history will be "Taurasi/Bird or Bueckers/Fudd".

That's what we UConn fans have to look forward to. :cool:

Reaction Score
Williams, Westbrook and Paige. Better team play. IMO Walker hurt them last year. No show in the big games. Christyn will play this year like she did against Notre Dame her Frosh year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom