Would you rather be North Dakota State or UMASS? | The Boneyard

Would you rather be North Dakota State or UMASS?

Reaction Score
If our only options are independent or FCS i'm starting to think FCS might be a better fit as long as the school made it a goal to be a top tier FCS football program like North Dakota State.

Why?

North Dakota State has received a ton of positive press for their great football program the last 10 years and they were in fact tossed around even if jokingly so when the Big 12 was looking to expand. If the ACC ever did look to expand again why wouldn't our dominate FCS football team along with our great basketball programs (assuming we return to being an elite basketball school) be under consideration? As long as the state doesn't do something stupid like tear down the Rent we could quickly ramp back up to FBS level again if we got the call. (Especially with today's transfer portal)

Can we be North Dakota State East? We already have tremendous football facilities and a great stadium to sell to recruits. In theory we should be able to match or top the funding that ND State gives their program. So yes I think we could be a dominate FCS team.... and BTW the FCS 24 team playoff is actually a fun event.

If the alternative to this is an independent FBS team?

See UMASS. :( It's no fun being cannon fodder every week.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Where are you playing these FCS games??? If you say The Rent I will laugh!! We are bleeding money playing schools that good on a national level (some). There's no way they bleed even more money to play Maine or URI every year.

I guess if we drop down to FCS people will get that on campus stadium? All we need are a set of bleachers, a painted field and a scoreboard. Maybe EO Smith has some room or a field?

Reaction Score
Where are you playing these FCS games??? If you say The Rent I will laugh!! We are bleeding money playing schools that good on a national level (some). There's no way they bleed even more money to play Maine or URI every year.

I guess if we drop down to FCS people will get that on campus stadium? All we need are a set of bleachers, a painted field and a scoreboard. Maybe EO Smith has some room or a field?

Money would be saved on scholarships, and do you really think attendance would be that much different? We're averaging 10,000 fans now. It might be more fun playing a conference game against Maine with a good FCS team that is ranked and playoff bound than whatever the alternative would be as an independent.

Just brainstorming, I don't know what the answer is here, I think the real question is would we still be considered if the P5 expanded and I don't see why not, especially if all of our other sports were firing on all cylinders.

My first preference is still the MAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indy is the only possibility that allows the Rent to survive as anything other than ghost town. Program lives or dies on scheduling.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
There's not going to be another NDSU anytime soon. A better comparison would be a consistent, non-spectacular FCS playoff team.

Would you rather be New Hampshire or UMass?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I’d much rather contend in FCS than go Indy. Going Indy is an absolute joke and is far worse than dropping down
No it is not. Take it from alumni from the old Yankee Conference. Div 1 is better than AA. Regardless if AA/FCS teams can clean your clock. Now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom