Would UCONN accept a BB only invite from the Big 12 | The Boneyard

Would UCONN accept a BB only invite from the Big 12

Reaction Score
I'm a Big 12 fan and respect your basketball program quite a bit, but I can't say I have followed UCONN football that much. The Big 12 would like a network, wanted expansion but the networks don't seem to be willing to pay for it and unfortunately it doesn't seem like adding G5 schools would cover their tv revenues for football.

So if the Big 12 offered UCONN among 4-6 schools a basketball only membership with a scheduling agreement for 2/3 games a year against a Big 12 football school, and then a cut of the conference network( based on the ability of that school to get cable companies or streaming subscriptions in a future delivery model). Unfortunately, the AAC only pays 1-2M for football tv revenue, so if in turn for any bball only member schools signing the rights to their football games to the network the league matched that type of a payout for football and then received T1 basketball revenue like the Big East got around 5M a year. If the bball only schools had 3 Big 12 games, played each other bball only member for football, that fills 6-8 games of the schedule and they could be an independent in football. It would give the conference network the bball only schools basketball and football content on the network to see if they could do a good job selling the conference network in their state/region.

If bball only schools could get 5M for bball plus 2M for football + %share of the network it would seem you come out ahead revenue wise. Also, if schools demonstrated they could do a good job selling network maybe in the future they would be added as full members. I think basketball has a good value for conferenece networks and maybe in the future with more streaming it would enhance the value of basketball increasing the T1 revenues also which would help these schools.

Teams like UCONN, Memphis, Cincy, Temple(?), BYU, New Mexico, UNLV, Houston(not a great bball school but playing Houston in football makes sense for the league) could be considered. SDSU & FSU might be a little too far west but who knows.

The Big 12 is a very good basketball conference and some of the teams mentioned above draw great for basketball so it wouldn't hurt the leagues basketball product overall. Its hypothetical but what do UCONN fans think of this arrangement if inclusion in a current P5 league for full membership is not available?

Reaction Score
If UCONN was interested is there a viable team in the area to help both Universities sell a potential conference network? Temple seems the closest but I'm not sure of their ability to even carry their city even though they have had a good product in the past.

Reaction Score
I would hope our admins would say yes. And no, not temple.

Reaction Score
I imagine the answer would be yes, but I'm not even sure why UConn would need any other school to sell a network. Not necessary. That network would be on in the entire Connecticut market and a slice of New York City as well.

Reaction Score
If we were somehow able to park Football in the AAC we would go to the Big East for other sports, not the Big XII.

This scenario is never going to happen, though.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The Big 12 already nixed expansion, so I don't see any way they're going to reopen it even on a limited basis. The only way they might reopen it would probably require some unusual or unexpected changes to the financial structure presently in existence, like some network going bankrupt before any of the existing contracts expire.

Reaction Score
If we were somehow able to park Football in the AAC we would go to the Big East for other sports, not the Big XII.

This scenario is never going to happen, though.
We would go where the money is. If the Big 12 offered more money, we would take it.

Reaction Score
Imagine the excitement if UCONN got a football invite too and played Kansas on a yearly basis?

Reaction Score
Yes in a heartbeat. I’m interested in anything that gets UConn in a P5 for basketball and even the Big East. The fan base is dwindling away in the aac.

The fan base is dwindling because we've sucked for the last four years and haven't had a truly consistent product since '09.

Maybe it's just me, but save for Kansas the Big 12 doesn't have much more cache than the AAC. From a basketball perspective, this would just be a half-step up from where we are now. And I'm not talking about quality of team, I'm talking about geographical alignment and potential rivalries. They wouldn't exist there any more than they do here.

Obviously the cash and potential football tie-ins change things, but as far as this rejuvenating the fan base I don't see it.

Reaction Score
No. All sports or nothing. We are a P5 university more than a lot of existing P5 universities.

Reaction Score
News flash, no P-5 is interested in our football program. All of our other sports would add value to a P5 conference except foooosball.

Reaction Score
The fan base is dwindling because we've sucked for the last four years and haven't had a truly consistent product since '09.

Maybe it's just me, but save for Kansas the Big 12 doesn't have much more cache than the AAC. From a basketball perspective, this would just be a half-step up from where we are now. And I'm not talking about quality of team, I'm talking about geographical alignment and potential rivalries. They wouldn't exist there any more than they do here.

Obviously the cash and potential football tie-ins change things, but as far as this rejuvenating the fan base I don't see it.

I think it would help since Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas provide some cache. The fans will show up for OSU, Baylor, Iowa St and WVU too. KState, TTech and TCU are more of a stretch but still better than ECU, UCF, Tulsa etc.

Regardless, if you think the Big East would offer a more interesting basketball schedule in the eyes of our fanbase than the B12, that is reason to give the Big East a hard look. The B12 is a good conference.

Reaction Score
I think you're wrong, and I refuse to short-sale Uconn athletics.

You have to put yourself in a big 12 fans shoes. How many big12 fans are going to care about Uconn football playing in theit league??

Uconn at least has a history of playing Oklahoma, and Texas in college hoops, so that would draw interest from Big12 fans.

Reaction Score
Yes in a heartbeat. I’m interested in anything that gets UConn in a P5 for basketball and even the Big East. The fan base is dwindling away in the aac.
The fan base is dwindling because they have sucked a bit recently . Fan turnout wasn’t an issue when they won the championship while in the AAC in 2014

Realize now that someone else already made this point but I have the same opinion

Reaction Score
I dont care if we go into the pac 12. Just out of the AAC. But, this wont happen. Only shot really is ACC, then if we cant get in just go to NBE. Well be fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom