Would the U. and Uconn ever meet in FB ? (2022 schedule) | The Boneyard

Would the U. and Uconn ever meet in FB ? (2022 schedule)

Reaction Score
With all the blanks being filled in lately by DB, he still needs one 2022 opponent. Uconn FB futures list . I've mentioned the BYU 2022 opening and a possible date swap with their Liberty match-up from Oct 22 to Oct 29.... could open up things up to play Uconn ..in this post #134 . Haven't see any schools with 2022 openings besides BYU. But just noticed Miami still shows two from this article awhile back:

Miami football schedules more likely to add Group of 5, FCS ...

"The 2022 season is the most urgent in upcoming years for Miami to add at least two games. Miami currently has games scheduled on September 10 against Southern Miss and September 17 at Texas A&M scheduled in 2022. It seems likely Miami will schedule an FCS and Group of Five team in 2022 to fill out the schedule." .........and currently on FBS schedules - Miami (FL) Hurricanes

But looking at the almost 2 decades old lawsuit and bad blood, does anyone think DB and the new Admin. @ the U. could get past that stuff? I know Miami won't even do an even up home and home with UCF. Do you think they would do a 2 for 1 with Uconn. ? A one-off like they are doing with CCSU this year ?

Also a simple more local solution for 2022 is probably right up the road with a visit from Amherst. They claim they are full with 12 games in 2022 on the school website, and are playing USF on Oct 22, but noticed the Bulls makes no such claim of playing Umass.

UMass FB Future Season Schedules

So any thoughts about the U. ?

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
With all the blanks being filled in lately by DB, he still needs one 2022 opponent. Uconn FB futures list . I've mentioned the BYU 2022 opening and a possible date swap with their Liberty match-up from Oct 22 to Oct 29.... could open up things up to play Uconn ..in this post #134 . Haven't see any schools with 2022 openings besides BYU. But just noticed Miami still shows two from this article awhile back:

Miami football schedules more likely to add Group of 5, FCS ...

"The 2022 season is the most urgent in upcoming years for Miami to add at least two games. Miami currently has games scheduled on September 10 against Southern Miss and September 17 at Texas A&M scheduled in 2022. It seems likely Miami will schedule an FCS and Group of Five team in 2022 to fill out the schedule." .........and currently on FBS schedules - Miami (FL) Hurricanes

But looking at the almost 2 decades old lawsuit and bad blood, does anyone think DB and the new Admin. @ the U. could get past that stuff? I know Miami won't even do an even up home and home with UCF. Do you think they would do a 2 for 1 with Uconn. ? A one-off like they are doing with CCSU this year ?

Also a simple more local solution for 2022 is probably right up the road with visit from Amherst. They claim they are full with 12 games in 2022 on the school website, and are playing USF on Oct 22, but noticed the Bulls makes no such claim of playing Umass.

UMass FB Future Season Schedules

So any thoughts about the U. ?

I don't see it happening. Who knows if there is still any Shalala acolytes at the U and if there are, then definitively no. I also have no interest in the U.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well this is fun, but idk- seems like this kind of thing doesn’t happen. With Miami - anything here can happen including breaking up someone else’s series like we have done to make 2022 work.

Reaction Score
Why is UMASS no longer on the schedule after 2021? I figured that would be an annual rivalry game and an easy one to schedule for both schools. They should play every November when it's most difficult to find teams. What's the hold-up?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well this is fun, but idk- seems like this kind of thing doesn’t happen. With Miami - anything here can happen including breaking up someone else’s series like we have done to make 2022 work.
True, it seemed like BYU needing a game could've been the 2022 ,12th game fill in, combined with Edsall's BYU tweet. But if the Umass website is wrong, then Oct 22
( instead of at USF) or Nov 5th at Uconn, would be easier and also be the make-up for the 2020 Umass at Uconn game that was cancelled.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miami owes us a home game. We played them in the old Orange Bowl back in the early 2000s. It was not a money game, suppose to be part of a home and home -- they never kept up their end.

Reaction Score
Miami owes us a home game. We played them in the old Orange Bowl back in the early 2000s. It was not a money game, suppose to be part of a home and home -- they never kept up their end.

The 2002 game is listed as one of the 25 paid home games for Miami...since 1970.

scroll down...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Why is UMASS no longer on the schedule after 2021? I figured that would be an annual rivalry game and an easy one to schedule for both schools. They should play every November when it's most difficult to find teams. What's the hold-up?
I can only surmise that both UConn and UMass have an understanding that they will fill out their schedules and then use each other as one of the last plugs.

Reaction Score
The U, like Wake, Duke, etc., gets a lot of students from the northeast. They should absolutely consider scheduling H and Hs with us.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can only surmise that both UConn and UMass have an understanding that they will fill out their schedules and then use each other as one of the last plugs.
This makes sense but it just makes more sense to make this annual series. It's one of three New England school who play FBS football (I originally wrote only other and forgot about BC because they are forgettable). They are also Indy like us so their schedule can be made to work. Seems like a no-brainer to make this an annual game at the end of the season. Try to make there be some more interest than the minimal interest there might be currently. I know some here will think that UMass isn't interesting blah, blah but we are just as dull to other schools. I'd like to see us have a regional annual series. It's unlikely to happen with a P5 which means UMass is the only option.

Reaction Score
The U, like Wake, Duke, etc., gets a lot of students from the northeast. They should absolutely consider scheduling H and Hs with us.

Right now, Miami's future H&H's are scheduled with Texas A&M, Notre Dame (7 games), South Carolina, Florida, USF, and Florida A&M.

Wake's are: Army (5 games), Vanderbilt, ODU, UConn, Liberty, Ole Miss, Purdue, ECU, Notre Dame (4 games)

Fairly nice mixes..

Duke is less filled out past 2026 but has scheduled......UConn, Kansas, Northwestern, MTSU, Illinois, Liberty, Notre Dame (5 games)

Reaction Score
Along those lines noticed this interesting home and home for the U. Though the 2020 game @ Miami didn't happen because of Covid.

" Miami was originally scheduled to open its season Sept. 5 by hosting Temple. Temple, according to school officials, was in contact with Miami to see about the possibility of rescheduling the game. Temple has signed a home-and-home series with Miami, with the Hurricanes scheduled to play in Philadelphia on Sept. 23, 2023."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought that game was a one-off, as I thought part of our entrance requirements to join the Big East was to play (or at least offer to play) each of the expected members at their stadiums. Once the ACC expansion hit and UConn got to join a year early that condition wasn't completely fulfilled as some scheduled games became conference matchups.

Reaction Score
Along those lines noticed this interesting home and home for the U. Though the 2020 game @ Miami didn't happen because of Covid.

" Miami was originally scheduled to open its season Sept. 5 by hosting Temple. Temple, according to school officials, was in contact with Miami to see about the possibility of rescheduling the game. Temple has signed a home-and-home series with Miami, with the Hurricanes scheduled to play in Philadelphia on Sept. 23, 2023."

I could only find that one game @ Temple currently scheduled...but Miami has open slots as early as 2022...and 2023

Reaction Score
I found this in an article discussing Malzhan's (UCF) desire to schedule Miami...

If Miami was going to schedule Central Florida in the next few seasons, the Hurricanes have two openings on their non-conference schedule in 2022 and 2026-2028. Miami is likely leaving slots open to reschedule games against Temple and at Michigan State that were lost to the COVID-19 pandemic during the 2020 season.

Reaction Score
I could only find that one game @ Temple currently scheduled...but Miami has open slots as early as 2022...and 2023
Right as I said, the 1st game of their H & H was supposed to be in 2020 (but was dropped because of Covid).
True on 2022 opening for the U..... as a reschedule date, but Temple is full for 2022. Unless Temple wants to drop maybe their home game with Rutgers ( to Uconn for it's 12th ?) ...And in 2023 the U is already playing in Philly.

Reaction Score
Didn't Jeff Calhoun transfer to UM? Still remember him driving a Lexus SC300 around campus. Either way, UM doesn't need us, which is why we're scheduling FIU and FAU.

Reaction Score

It would be smart to do that. Just agree to play every year but not schedule it until there is only one common off week left available in OCT and November. If they had an agreement to do that they should announce it. Both schools should try to make the same agreement with Army if they are willing and scheduling would get much easier for all three schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still....really not the making of a rivalry....mutual opponents of last resort.

Just schedule annually....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It would be smart to do that. Just agree to play every year but not schedule it until there is only one common off week left available in OCT and November. If they had an agreement to do that they should announce it. Both schools should try to make the same agreement with Army if they are willing and scheduling would get much easier for all three schools.
I’m too lazy to find the quotes, but I believe AD David Benedict and the UMass AD have pretty much said we will be working together on football scheduling to assist each school to meet their goals.

It maybe the case that each school’s AD is the most knowledge about each other’s scheduling gaps over the next 8-10 years. I would think they have some pencil dates at this point tor several games.

Reaction Score
I’m too lazy to find the quotes, but I believe AD David Benedict and the UMass AD have pretty much said we will be working together on football scheduling to assist each school to meet their goals.
;) From a previous thread on UMass/UConn:

#FightMassachusetts @FightMA247 1h
With UMass AD Ryan Bamford and UConn AD David Benedict watching yesterday's game together and jointly speaking with reporters pre-game about the future of the series, one can safely assume that #TheUGame will be back on yearly basis once this current 4-game contract is up in 2021

Currently UMass' 2022 schedule is tentatively complete, but there is always the possibility for movement for a slate that far out Starting in 2023 however it looks good for the two teams to play every year, likely with odd years in Amherst and even years in East Hartford

#FightMassachusetts @FightMA24 1h
All that really remains is to get a trophy to play for, which is rumored to be in the works. As FBS Independents the teams would be trying to play this game in November regardless, but a concerted effort to play it during Rivalry Week (season's final week) is the smart move

Josh Walfish @JoshWalfishDHG 1h
I asked Bamford specifically about 2022 and he said "We always have flexibility."

Certainly, one of the few potential benefits of having to create a full 12-game schedule Example: Could see UMass' 10/22/2022 trip to USF get pushed out a few years and then a trip to UConn replaces it on 11/5/2022. Better bye week for UMass in that case and all of Nov is filled

Reaction Score

With UMass AD Ryan Bamford and UConn AD David Benedict watching yesterday's game together and jointly speaking with reporters pre-game about the future of the series, one can safely assume that #TheUGame will be back on yearly basis once this current 4-game contract is up in 2021

Currently UMass' 2022 schedule is tentatively complete, but there is always the possibility for movement for a slate that far out Starting in 2023 however it looks good for the two teams to play every year, likely with odd years in Amherst and even years in East Hartford

#FightMassachusetts @FightMA24 1h
All that really remains is to get a trophy to play for, which is rumored to be in the works. As FBS Independents the teams would be trying to play this game in November regardless, but a concerted effort to play it during Rivalry Week (season's final week) is the smart move

Josh Walfish @JoshWalfishDHG 1h
I asked Bamford specifically about 2022 and he said "We always have flexibility."

Certainly, one of the few potential benefits of having to create a full 12-game schedule Example: Could see UMass' 10/22/2022 trip to USF get pushed out a few years and then a trip to UConn replaces it on 11/5/2022. Better bye week for UMass in that case and all of Nov is filled

UMASS is a much needed home game for 2022 as that year's schedule is currently terribly difficult. Very hard to find the wins in 2022. I understand people want sexy home games but it would be foolish to add another P-6 opponent to 2022. Syracuse and BC at the Rent is sexy enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Good find, It's probably already agreed to, maybe just not announced by Uconn and changed by Umass, like I mentioned above: " But if the Umass website is wrong, (UMass FB Future Schedules) then Oct 22 ( instead of at USF) or Nov 5th at Uconn, would be easier and also be the make-up for the 2020 Umass at Uconn game that was cancelled. "

USF already announced they're aren't playing Umass in 2022:

Future USF Football Non-Conference Schedules

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom