OT: - World Cup 2022 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2022

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just curious ... will DT and or Sue be part of the USA team this fall? The 2024 Olympics seem a very long shot, but they were both starting for the Olympic team last summer and both starting for their WNBA teams right now. Have either actually said anything one way or the other. Reeves has certainly worked with them for years so I could see her wanting them around to help the transition, but USA seems to see the WC as a good training experience for new blood.

Sue had the second most minutes/game and easily led in assists last summer. DT with the 6th most while 3rd in assist.

I suspect some of it may be related to who is available with Fowles (age) and now Griner (prison) big question marks as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At some point, the USA will need to move away from Sue and Dee. Will it be 2022, 2024, or even 2026? Will the transition be for the WC or the Olympics? The former is probably the option. If they are healthy in September, though, we may see them. The outlook for successors was murky for a decade or more. I think it's clear now that Jewell is the heir apparent at SG. Is Skylar, soon to be 32, the successor at PG? Who will emerge in this WNBA season? When will Paige be a viable option? My guess is 2024.

I would think that Syl would retire before the WC, but if BG is not an option, I can see her playing in Sydney. If we have to play without BG and Syl, Cambage could be a be problem for us. That suggests Tina will be on the team, though she would have been anyway. Core players will be Stewie, A'ja, and EDD, if healthy. I think Phee is part of USA's plans, but not likely this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It has been an interesting run. USA has always brought in young players and they have cycled through guards without finding anyone who has really challenged them. They have just been so consistent game after game tournament after tournament.

Diggins and Loyd really haven't shown much - Gray had the best Olympics outside of Bird and DT. I think Plum could be an option as well. The USA team has always depended on their inside out game and finding that pass first mentality from scoring guards is tough.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
At some point, the USA will need to move away from Sue and Dee. Will it be 2022, 2024, or even 2026? Will the transition be for the WC or the Olympics? The former is probably the option. If they are healthy in September, though, we may see them. The outlook for successors was murky for a decade or more. I think it's clear now that Jewell is the heir apparent at SG. Is Skylar, soon to be 32, the successor at PG? Who will emerge in this WNBA season? When will Paige be a viable option? My guess is 2024.

I would think that Syl would retire before the WC, but if BG is not an option, I can see her playing in Sydney. If we have to play without BG and Syl, Cambage could be a be problem for us. That suggests Tina will be on the team, though she would have been anyway. Core players will be Stewie, A'ja, and EDD, if healthy. I think Phee is part of USA's plans, but not likely this year.
I thought Cambage is off the Opals team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It has been an interesting run. USA has always brought in young players and they have cycled through guards without finding anyone who has really challenged them. They have just been so consistent game after game tournament after tournament.

Diggins and Loyd really haven't shown much - Gray had the best Olympics outside of Bird and DT. I think Plum could be an option as well. The USA team has always depended on their inside out game and finding that pass first mentality from scoring guards is tough.
Just caught this before closing down the house. I'll push back a bit on your assessment of Loyd. In the prior World Cup and the Olympics, Dawn Staley used her as a kind of jack of all trades in the backcourt and very much relied on her to take on the other team's top guard on defense. She was the backcourt's best athlete and that's not a small thing. In short, Loyd was doing roles that Sue and DT don't do anymore.

Can Vandersloot renounce her Hungarian citizenship? She would've been an excellent bridge. That said, I can see Kelsey Plum helping at lead guard and Jackie Young working at the 3, allowing Stewie to go back to the 4.

Diggins didn't play all that much in the Olympics and clearly that was a coach's decision. That may have been her only window.

Now, there are two key truths for the upcoming World Cup:
  • There's not a lot of time for overall development, so I'm guessing the committee will go largely with whom it knows, plus some strong recommendations from Coach Reeve on players to bring in.
  • There's a new head coach. Now we know the HD is not on the committee that chooses the team, but she does get to play contenders for those roles and that has to lead to some degree of consideration.

All that said, I can see Bird and DT making one last go of it in this year's WC. However, it's then time to start to finding the next wave. Similar move to USA Womens National Soccer team. Have to start it incrementally. But have to do it.

Reaction Score

WOW - did you see the thread about initials etc?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom