Working in Stamford/Taking the Train?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by SonsOfNutmeg, Oct 28, 2016.

1. SonsOfNutmeg

SonsOfNutmeg #TheComeback #UConnNation

Hi guys. Anyone on here commute to Stamford for work? I live in the New Haven area and am currently interviewing for some jobs down there. If I land one I'd be doing the commute at least 4 days a week. Its a whole new thing for me, since my current job I drive like 15 mins to. Anyone have any tips on the commute. Train vs. Driving I-95? How is Stamford to work in? Thanks!

2. John

John "Come with me if you want to live." - Cameron

you're looking at two hours out of your life daily - train is a little under an hour to get down there, car is a little over an hour.

SonsOfNutmeg likes this.
  3. SonsOfNutmeg

SonsOfNutmeg #TheComeback #UConnNation

Thanks John. Yeah, I'm considering it for the $ and job growth potential. We'll see.

John likes this.
  4. Letsgohuskies11

Letsgohuskies11

Commute to stamford and back everyday? By car???? Head bang, i couldnt find the self inflicted gun shot emoji. 95 is the worst. Your going to be fighting at least an hour+ traffic every night going home.. I would move closer if u get a job in stamford or take train.

John likes this.
  5. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

It's extremely frustrating. I live in FAirfield, 20 minutes away. The drive in takes about an hour, unless I leave my house before 7:00. The drive home, at 7:00 at night, takes about 35 minutes (it takes 30 minutes if there was ever no traffic).

But, obviously, there are more business opportunities in STamford.

6. Letsgohuskies11

Letsgohuskies11

It only takes 35 minutes to drive between stamford back to fairfield at night? I would have expected like an hour+

7. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

During rush hour. I don't leave practically ever before 7:00.

8. Letsgohuskies11

Letsgohuskies11

I thought rush hour on 95 lasted 24 hours

uconnell likes this.
  9. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

LOL. Some days it does.

10. Mike75

Mike75

Somewhat depends on where you work. Downtown, then the train is your best option. Long Ridge or High Ridge, the train is less compelling as the shuttle rides back and forth can add another 10 to 15 min to the commute. But you're looking at an hour plus each way on a good day. I used to do Stratford to Stamford and the train made it bearable. But I was also less than a five minute walk from the train station. YMMV.
    And make sure to check out the parking situation at whatever station you will be leaving from. Some have multiyear waitlists for permits, meaning you have to get there early each day before all the daily spots are taken.

11. uconnell

uconnell

I worked in Stamford, near the Greenwich line,in the mid 50's the drive from Norwalk was all on Rt1. Time depended on how many Red lights I hit. I-95 was in the process of being built.