OT: Woodstock 50 cancelled. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Woodstock 50 cancelled.

Reaction Score
Well, I have to admit it I was there in August of 69. Was 17 years old and actually bought tickets. 20 bucks for the three days. I remember some of the more interesting moments, but I am sure forgotten a lot. Contribute that to old age and having a great time. Actually got there a day early will 8 guys in one car. We saw things that a 17 year old normally does not get to experience, from that point of view it was a blast.

Reaction Score
Yep....got there on Saturday around noon by driving north on Route 9W, west over the hill and then south to within 3 miles of the site (I-84 was closed west of the bridge at Newburgh). Walked the rest of the way carrying 2 cases of beer with my buds. Stayed all afternoon and left around 12:00 am Sunday morning, hence missing the early morning rain. What an unbelievable day and education. After seeing scrawny ugly guys with the hippy babes bathing nude in the ponds along the road while we were walking, 3 of the 4 of us decided to become hippies that fall! It was truly an incredible 12-hour experience!
A guy I worked with asked if anyone wanted to go after work on Saturday. No one took him up on it, but at work Monday, he said he got about 20 miles away, found a local at a gas station who showed him how to get within a mile of the stage, so he got there for late Saturday night and Sunday morning. Also said it was an easy drive out too. Most major roads were closed for miles in every direction. Still not convinced he did it...

Reaction Score
Yep....got there on Saturday around noon by driving north on Route 9W, west over the hill and then south to within 3 miles of the site (I-84 was closed west of the bridge at Newburgh). Walked the rest of the way carrying 2 cases of beer with my buds. Stayed all afternoon and left around 12:00 am Sunday morning, hence missing the early morning rain. What an unbelievable day and education. After seeing scrawny ugly guys with the hippy babes bathing nude in the ponds along the road while we were walking, 3 of the 4 of us decided to become hippies that fall! It was truly an incredible 12-hour experience!
I heard there was a British band by the name of Hawkwind (quite good and under rated in fact) who played for free just outside Woodstock as sort of a protest of sorts. They were, hard to explain, like pink floyd by way more spacey and trippy.

Reaction Score
Lange said it's back ON - with new backers.

'94 w Spin Doctors. Schenlman really ripped some solos that day.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was at both Woodstock 94 and 99.

94 was one of the coolest memories of my life.

99 was an out of control disaster. I hated it. I left day-2. Exhausting heat, overcrowded, human feces everywhere. And the bros were out of control. It was like the exact opposite of 94 for me, which was rainy - but awesome.

They were going to charge $400+ a ticket for this, so.

Having been to Earth Day in Santa Cruz, CA in the late 90's, I was never even tempted to go to those or this. I expected the general smell and level of filth to be very high. The combination of BO, patchouli, weed, piss, poop and vomit just don't excite my olfactory senses. It's like going to the Middle Ages, intentionally.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lange said it's back ON - with new backers.

'94 w Spin Doctors. Schenlman really ripped some solos that day.

I guess I was resigned to the fact that humankind agreed on one thing. The Spin Doctors suck so far beyond belief that our lingual abilities were incapable to describe.

Welp - back to the drawing board.

Reaction Score
Yup, a few of us. From 60 miles out on L.I. Loaded the trunk up with Lowenbrau, told our parents we were going to visit colleges as we were heading into our senior year of H.S. Had our beer confiscated at the Canadian border. On way back I walked on the field where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little ran wild at the old crumbling Syracuse stadium. In Rochester, saw the only XXX rated movie to win the Best Picture Oscar, "Midnight Cowboy". On way back decided we might make it in, Saturday night/Sunday morning now, ditched our car how far away and God knows where, rode in some guy's van, who kept saying, "Oh Wow..." As we made our way to the site, saw the lights flashing in the distance, as it turned out The Who were on, about 5,6 AM. We were there! Saw naked girls swimming! Got down pretty close, only clear musical memory was The Jefferson Airplane and Grace Slick yelling "Good Morning People!" Sunday Morning, all pretty well wasted, beered out, tired, hungry, muddy...rained awhile I think, we decided to leave, I wanted to get to a TV to watch on WPIX-Channel 11 the Super Bowl Champs the Jets play, for the first time ever, the old guard Giants at the Yale Bowl(where we beat Yale in '73). Made it out somehow, I have a quote in the 1989 Woodstock 20th Anniversary Life Mag issue, "Driving 5MPH, on the roof of the car, in my Bermuda Shorts and Love Beads playing The Youngbloods "Get Together" on my portable 45 record player over and over and over and over..." (Doing my best to be cool...)We were pretty rancid, needed a shower and the TV, somehow we got out. Somehow we found a cheap motel somewhere that somehow had a room available, we go up to the office, the guy takes one look at us and shakes his head, we start back to the car..., defeated(?), No! I turned around and in a most pitiful voice whined...,
Woodstock Car Line.jpg
"But we go to Catholic School...!", I swear to God, I must have been so pathetic that the guy let us in. Ahhh, a shower and the Joe Willie Jets crushing the old guard Giants at the Yale Bowl.... Life was good. (Personal note-As a N.Y. Daily News All Star kid, we all were invited to be introduced on the field at Shea before the Jets-Raiders game on Sunday Nov. 30, and as the Jets center, John Schmitt, was a fellow High School alum, I got a personal intro to meet Joe Willie as they were warming up pregame, Joe was Very cool. So maybe my urge to watch the Jets-Giants back on August 17th at Woodstock, led to some Good Karma, after all..., it was 1969....)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, a few of us. From 60 miles out on L.I. Loaded the trunk up with Lowenbrau, told our parents we were going to visit colleges as we were heading into our senior year of H.S. Had our beer confiscated at the Canadian border. On way back I walked on the field where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little ran wild at the old crumbling Syracuse stadium. In Rochester, saw the only XXX rated movie to win the Best Picture Oscar, "Midnight Cowboy". On way back decided we might make it in, Saturday night/Sunday morning now, ditched our car how far away and God knows where, rode in some guy's van, who kept saying, "Oh Wow..." As we made our way to the site, saw the lights flashing in the distance, as it turned out The Who were on, about 5,6 AM. We were there! Saw naked girls swimming! Got down pretty close, only clear musical memory was The Jefferson Airplane and Grace Slick yelling "Good Morning People!" Sunday Morning, all pretty well wasted, beered out, tired, hungry, muddy...rained awhile I think, we decided to leave, I wanted to get to a TV to watch on WPIX-Channel 11 the Super Bowl Champs the Jets play, for the first time ever, the old guard Giants at the Yale Bowl(where we beat Yale in '73). Made it out somehow, I have a quote in the 1989 Woodstock 20th Anniversary Life Mag issue, "Driving 5MPH, on the roof of the car, in my Bermuda Shorts and Love Beads playing The Youngbloods "Get Together" on my portable 45 record player over and over and over and over..." (Doing my best to be cool...)We were pretty rancid, needed a shower and the TV, somehow we got out. Somehow we found a cheap motel somewhere that somehow had a room available, we go up to the office, the guy takes one look at us and shakes his head, we start back to the car..., defeated(?), No! I turned around and in a most pitiful voice whined..., View attachment 42839 "But we go to Catholic School...!", I swear to God, I must have been so pathetic that the guy let us in. Ahhh, a shower and the Joe Willie Jets crushing the old guard Giants at the Yale Bowl.... Life was good. (Personal note-As a N.Y. Daily News All Star kid, we all were invited to be introduced on the field at Shea before the Jets-Raiders game on Sunday Nov. 30, and as the Jets center, John Schmitt, was a fellow High School alum, I got a personal intro to meet Joe Willie as they were warming up pregame, Joe was Very cool. So maybe my urge to watch the Jets-Giants back on August 17th at Woodstock, led to some Good Karma, after all..., it was 1969....)

That might the coolest post this site has seen in a while....

Reaction Score
That might the coolest post this site has seen in a while....

It must be cool to hear a firsthand story from the last year the Jets were relevant.
Yup, a few of us. From 60 miles out on L.I. Loaded the trunk up with Lowenbrau, told our parents we were going to visit colleges as we were heading into our senior year of H.S. Had our beer confiscated at the Canadian border. On way back I walked on the field where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little ran wild at the old crumbling Syracuse stadium. In Rochester, saw the only XXX rated movie to win the Best Picture Oscar, "Midnight Cowboy". On way back decided we might make it in, Saturday night/Sunday morning now, ditched our car how far away and God knows where, rode in some guy's van, who kept saying, "Oh Wow..." As we made our way to the site, saw the lights flashing in the distance, as it turned out The Who were on, about 5,6 AM. We were there! Saw naked girls swimming! Got down pretty close, only clear musical memory was The Jefferson Airplane and Grace Slick yelling "Good Morning People!" Sunday Morning, all pretty well wasted, beered out, tired, hungry, muddy...rained awhile I think, we decided to leave, I wanted to get to a TV to watch on WPIX-Channel 11 the Super Bowl Champs the Jets play, for the first time ever, the old guard Giants at the Yale Bowl(where we beat Yale in '73). Made it out somehow, I have a quote in the 1989 Woodstock 20th Anniversary Life Mag issue, "Driving 5MPH, on the roof of the car, in my Bermuda Shorts and Love Beads playing The Youngbloods "Get Together" on my portable 45 record player over and over and over and over..." (Doing my best to be cool...)We were pretty rancid, needed a shower and the TV, somehow we got out. Somehow we found a cheap motel somewhere that somehow had a room available, we go up to the office, the guy takes one look at us and shakes his head, we start back to the car..., defeated(?), No! I turned around and in a most pitiful voice whined..., View attachment 42839 "But we go to Catholic School...!", I swear to God, I must have been so pathetic that the guy let us in. Ahhh, a shower and the Joe Willie Jets crushing the old guard Giants at the Yale Bowl.... Life was good. (Personal note-As a N.Y. Daily News All Star kid, we all were invited to be introduced on the field at Shea before the Jets-Raiders game on Sunday Nov. 30, and as the Jets center, John Schmitt, was a fellow High School alum, I got a personal intro to meet Joe Willie as they were warming up pregame, Joe was Very cool. So maybe my urge to watch the Jets-Giants back on August 17th at Woodstock, led to some Good Karma, after all..., it was 1969....)

Great story. And from someone who actually remembers the last time the Jets were relevant. ;-)

Reaction Score
I was not quite 10 in August '69 so what I knew of Woodstock I would have gleaned from Mad Magazine.

My older brother was 20 so theoretically he could have attended but he had more important things to take care of. He was a patient at Great Lakes Naval Hospital at the time. He would spend a good portion of '69 and '70 at Great Lakes. The first time he was able to come home was during the September following Woodstock. I will never forget my Mom running down the driveway when she saw him.

If you asked my brother about Woodstock he would probably tell you about a t-shirt he had made for himself. It read "Altamont. Three Days of Love and Peace." That shirt made a lot of people mad at the time. He didn't care. Emblematic of the great unbridgable chasm that opened between those who went and those who didn't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom