OT: - Woodbury/Southbury Area | The Boneyard

OT: Woodbury/Southbury Area

Reaction Score
lifelong CT guy.....grew up in Valley, lived in FF county for 10 years, New Haven the last 6. Wife and I just bought a new house in sticks. Know area, but not on local level. Any recommendations? Deli, Pizza, Takeout, where to buy good beer, etc.

Open to any and all feedback.

Reaction Score
Grew up in southbury. Leo's is the best spot for breakfast in town. Heritage deli and Mikees place are the two best Delis with the best sandwiches. There's a brewery right next to the oxford airport called blackhog which has some pretty solid craft beers. As far as pizza I personally take the drive back down to the valley for Roselands

Reaction Score
lifelong CT guy.....grew up in Valley, lived in FF county for 10 years, New Haven the last 6. Wife and I just bought a new house in sticks. Know area, but not on local level. Any recommendations? Deli, Pizza, Takeout, where to buy good beer, etc.

Pat

Patty's Pantry is right off I-84 in Southbury. They have great breakfast and lunch sandwiches to go.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

NEXT!!!

I loved living in NW CT. Too distant and too long ago to give you advice. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Reaction Score
Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. One of my old colleagues is a partner in Brewey. That helps. Just use to as access to everything given most recent locations. All these suggestions are very helpful.

Reaction Score
Wife grew up in Southbury and favorite restaurant is Julio’s woodfire pizza. I’ve been many times and it’s great.

Reaction Score

Southbury and Woodbury are not even close Soutbury is significantly more developed than Woodbury . They have a McDonalds Woodbury has really kept it rural small town feel
Woodbury has some good restaurants for a rural town
The steak and Sushi place that moved into Carmen Antony’s
Is pretty good.
I eaten at the brewery it was good. Since I don’t drink I can’t comment on the beer
Plus the French bakery is to die for.
Absolutely the best Blueberry Pie ever made.
It’s a short Drive to Peppi’s in Danbury for Pizza. But when I’ve already come 2500 miles for Pizza it’s a small distance .But for a quick fix AL’s or San Remo’s will do.
Woodbury Deli for an inexpensive egg sandwich is great. Coffee is okay
Alla ‘s Bagels are not bad either
No chain stores allowed in Woodbury
Love Leo’s in Southbury
A Leo’s
EFD491FE-4622-4B8A-9168-35A8286F16F8.jpeg
Belgian waffle

Reaction Score
I can second Denmo's, they're really good.
Third for Denmos. In the summer, you can even get good whole belly fried clams there. There are not many places for those around. Good burgers and ice cream too.

The french bakery in Woodbury has some really nice breads and pastries.

Yvonne's in Southford is good for breakfast. I have a friend who lives right around the corner and is great at finding value spots, and he swears by it. I've been a couple of times and had good experiences.

The Charcoal Chef in Woodbury (up Rt 6 past Nonnewaug) is an institution. It was mentioned for best burgers I think in that thread. It's a place the old-time locals (my parents) rate highly. Simple, but well prepared food.

It's controversial I know, but I like Good News Cafe quite a bit. Many find it overrated. I've never had a bad meal there.

Take the ride across Rt. 47 to Washington for the GW Tavern and a little further over to Rt. 202 for The White Horse in New Preston on Rt. 202. Good, upscale pub grub at both.

The Painted Pony up the road in Bethlehem has solid 'Murican (with a side of Italian) food. Nothing exquisite, but tasty and filling. (Caveat - It has been a few years since I've been. It was a regular stop when visiting my parents in Morris.)

Enjoy living in God's Country!

Reaction Score
Grew up in southbury. Leo's is the best spot for breakfast in town. Heritage deli and Mikees place are the two best Delis with the best sandwiches. There's a brewery right next to the oxford airport called blackhog which has some pretty solid craft beers. As far as pizza I personally take the drive back down to the valley for Roselands

Ha! I grew up in Southbury too. Pomperaug class of '98. Haven't been back in about 15 years though.

Leo's, Julio's, Good News, John's are all good. There's a brewpub/pizza joint in Middlebury thats probably the best place to get a pint.

Great area to raise kids, but not much else.

There's a liquor store in the plaza by exit 14 that has a good beer selection.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I lived in Woodbury for 4 years, I love that area. DiPalma’s in Southbury is good NY style pizza. Carlito’s of Woodbury makes good pizza, grinders and Italian food. I know the owners well, it’s good food at a good value and a comfortable environment, especially in the bar area. Also, Junipers in Middlebury is very good. They get an older crowd but the food is consistently excellent. Congrats on your new home.

Reaction Score
You have to try Domenic's & Vinnie's Pizza in Middlebury. It is my favorite. It's a sweat shop of high school kids slinging pies but trust me it's amazing.

Reaction Score
I’m a Southbury resident. Miranda’s is the best place for pizza/Italian in town. Little place next to a corn field right off exit 14 on 84.

Leo’s is the best for breakfast, although there is a Chips there too. Good pancakes.

Mikee’s Place is excellent for sub’s. Their menu is a lot like Jersey Mike’s.

There are many places for pizza in Southbury, but Miranda’s is the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom