Wondering about Missouri | The Boneyard

Wondering about Missouri

Reaction Score
Curious- how good is Missouri? Any chance we might see them in the tournament?

Reaction Score
Good enough to just squeak past Tennessee yesterday in a game played at Missouri. Which is to say not all that good. :p

They're currently ranked 13, so it's always possible we could see them. As of this morning, Charlie Creme has them as a 3-seed in the Spokane region.

Reaction Score
From the west coast, I like this Missouri team. Outside of Mississippi State & South Carolina, I believe this is the team in the SEC that will progress the farthest in the NCAA Tournament. They have a toughness, grittiness, and play well in close games. They also have the kid who is a prolific scorer, and isn't afraid to take the big shot. Tennessee, Georgia, Texas A&M are respectable, but I don't see them as an equal to Missouri.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
They have the same chance as any of the other 63 teams selected for the tournament...imo.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Mizzou has some size, and they are very physical, but they lack the athleticism necessary to stay with UConn.
The present Mizzou team has never faced a team that puts as much defensive pressure on a team as UCONN does. Also, it would be the first time Mizzou faced UCONN. You know what that usually means.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Missouri is a good team that plays far better than their talent would indicate. (Posts on the Volnation board note that Missouri has only one player that was an ESPN Top 100 -- Cunningham, a #28 -- while Tenn has eight, including four or five Top 12 selections.)

Both offensively and defensively Missouri is coached to play very similarly to UConn, but we don't have the talent or athleticism. (The movement and shooting is solid, but the passing and cutting is not as crisp and the rebounding is not as physical.) But, like the Huskies, the Tigers are taught how to make decisions on the fly and they often take significant leads early while the opponent adjusts. (We were up 15 against Tenn yesterday before Nared decided she wouldn't wait for Holly to figure things out and successfully started to do her Diamond DeShields impersonation!)

They have a great coach in Pingeton... normally I'd be worried that she'd be hired away, but her Missouri roots are pretty deep so we Mizzou alumni have our fingers crossed. I started attending UConn games religiously in '89 and watched Geno build his program. Robin is following that blueprint to a tee. Her biggest issue now is recruiting. She's getting the Missouri kids, but needs to broaden her success. (Some might remember that Collier had Mizzou in her top five, and while no one in MO blames her for choosing UConn we can't help but wonder where the Tigers would be today if she had come to Columbia. Knocking on the Final Four door perhaps!) The crowd yesterday was over 11,000 -- an all-time record. (I can remember Geno having a post game celebration the first time UConn attendance broke 1,000!) Getting a #3 or #4 seed in the Tourney this year and playing two rounds in front of a home crowd would be a big step for the program, and it seems within reach.

Missouri plays better at home, the same as a lot of teams. We beat South Carolina and Tennessee at home, and came within a whisker of beating Mississippi State. Our defense is good enough to slow down the pace, we allow few fast break points, and when we're hitting our threes we can give almost anyone a good game. Almost.

We lost to LSU when Sophie couldn't play, and lost on the road to a very physical Georgia team when they shot well above their average.

Missouri's weaknesses have been patched up a bit this year. (Transfer Lauren Aldridge was a HUGE add!) But a good press still gives us big problems. And while our defensive game plans can usually allow us to take away one or two aspects of our opponents offense, we can't take 'em all away. (We stopped Tenn's/Holly's "feed the ball to Russell" and the LV's wound up shooting the threes better than they have all year.) But depending on our game plan against UConn, either Gabby or KLS would shred us.

So I doubt there's much to worry about, Husky fans. This year, anyway, LOL. Anything less than a sweet 16 for Mizzou will probably be considered a minor disappointment. (Matchups will be key!) Making the Final Eight would be a huge achievement. And the only way we'd face UConn is in a game to make the Final 8 or Final Four, so I'd be good with that.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Missouri is a good team that plays far better than their talent would indicate. (Posts on the Volnation board note that Missouri has only one player that was an ESPN Top 100 -- Cunningham, a #28 -- while Tenn has eight, including four or five Top 12 selections.)

Both offensively and defensively Missouri is coached to play very similarly to UConn, but we don't have the talent or athleticism. (The movement and shooting is solid, but the passing and cutting is not as crisp and the rebounding is not as physical.) But, like the Huskies, the Tigers are taught how to make decisions on the fly and they often take significant leads early while the opponent adjusts. (We were up 15 against Tenn yesterday before Nared decided she wouldn't wait for Holly to figure things out and successfully started to do her Diamond DeShields impersonation!)

They have a great coach in Pingeton... normally I'd be worried that she'd be hired away, but her Missouri roots are pretty deep so we Mizzou alumni have our fingers crossed. I started attending UConn games religiously in '89 and watched Geno build his program. Robin is following that blueprint to a tee. Her biggest issue now is recruiting. She's getting the Missouri kids, but needs to broaden her success. (Some might remember that Collier had Mizzou in her top five, and while no one in MO blames her for choosing UConn we can't help but wonder where the Tigers would be today if she had come to Columbia. Knocking on the Final Four door perhaps!) The crowd yesterday was over 11,000 -- an all-time record. (I can remember Geno having a post game celebration the first time UConn attendance broke 1,000!) Getting a #3 or #4 seed in the Tourney this year and playing two rounds in front of a home crowd would be a big step for the program, and it seems within reach.

Missouri plays better at home, the same as a lot of teams. We beat South Carolina and Tennessee at home, and came within a whisker of beating Mississippi State. Our defense is good enough to slow down the pace, we allow few fast break points, and when we're hitting our threes we can give almost anyone a good game. Almost.

We lost to LSU when Sophie couldn't play, and lost on the road to a very physical Georgia team when they shot well above their average.

Missouri's weaknesses have been patched up a bit this year. (Transfer Lauren Aldridge was a HUGE add!) But a good press still gives us big problems. And while our defensive game plans can usually allow us to take away one or two aspects of our opponents offense, we can't take 'em all away. (We stopped Tenn's/Holly's "feed the ball to Russell" and the LV's wound up shooting the threes better than they have all year.) But depending on our game plan against UConn, either Gabby or KLS would shred us.

So I doubt there's much to worry about, Husky fans. This year, anyway, LOL. Anything less than a sweet 16 for Mizzou will probably be considered a minor disappointment. (Matchups will be key!) Making the Final Eight would be a huge achievement. And the only way we'd face UConn is in a game to make the Final 8 or Final Four, so I'd be good with that.
I have enjoyed watching Missouri give some of the top SEC teams fits this year. And while some do not like Sophie Cunningham, I see her as a fearless competitor who takes no guff. Also like the Frericks kid. I think her older sister played for Auburn a few seasons back.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So what you're saying is that TN played down to the competition. Good thing that the Lady Vols don't do that all the time or........wait a minute. That's exactly what the Lady Vols do all the time... :oops:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Missouri is a good team that plays far better than their talent would indicate. (Posts on the Volnation board note that Missouri has only one player that was an ESPN Top 100 -- Cunningham, a #28 -- while Tenn has eight, including four or five Top 12 selections.):p

They have a great coach in Pingeton... normally I'd be worried that she'd be hired away, but her Missouri roots are pretty deep so we Mizzou alumni have our fingers crossed.... Her biggest issue now is recruiting.... The crowd yesterday was over 11,000 -- an all-time record. (I can remember Geno having a post game celebration the first time UConn attendance broke 1,000!) Getting a #3 or #4 seed in the Tourney this year and playing two rounds in front of a home crowd would be a big step for the program, and it seems within reach.:)

Making the Final Eight would be a huge achievement. And the only way we'd face UConn is in a game to make the Final 8 or Final Four, so I'd be good with that.
I parsed out some of your comments:
Awesome post on giving us an overview that I agree with.
First/Third highlighted sections-She's done a great job with the program but as you note, you need more talent to truly contend at the next level. Eventually, Tenn will rid itself of Holly or of Top 20 talent, and you won't have to worry about them.
Second highlight-Your #1 priority needs to up Robin's salary. She is one of the lowest paid coaches in that conference, yet, I would argue is the second best coach in there (Vic as #1). If Tenn were smart, they would make a run at Robin who would be a real threat at Tenn for a national title. The shadow of Pat casts too dark that the Administration would dare look outside it's roots so you should be safe.
4th highlight, after MSU, SC, I do think Mizzou could have good run and your post play is pretty good for a bunch of no-names (no slight intended) so yes, you could make the Elite Eight!
Please keep posting, your view is insightful.:cool:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So what you're saying is that TN played down to the competition. Good thing that the Lady Vols don't do that all the time or...wait a minute. That's exactly what the Lady Vols do all the time... :oops:
Actually, I thought Tenn played a very good game yesterday. I know you didn't mean to slight Mizzou, but Mizzou is a good team and is warranted in the top 16. IF they put on a good run in the SEC tourney, they could move up to a #3 seed. So I don't know that Tenn played down to the competition per se' yesterday, though I do agree they are not well coached, show no discipline and will be in real trouble next year without Nared/Russell...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Most definitely!!! I think they are one of the best 64 teams in the country right now. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, I thought Tenn played a very good game yesterday. I know you didn't mean to slight Mizzou, but Mizzou is a good team and is warranted in the top 16. IF they put on a good run in the SEC tourney, they could move up to a #3 seed. So I don't know that Tenn played down to the competition per se' yesterday, though I do agree they are not well coached, show no discipline and will be in real trouble next year without Nared/Russell...
Yes I agree, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a cheap shot at the Lady Vols. I'm sure that I'll feel bad about it later on....:rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Mizzou will be in the tournament. How far they go will depend on who they draw, and whether or not they can get hot, and play at a very high level those two weeks. I can't wait for the NCAA brackets to be revealed. That's always a great time of the year. I enjoy watching the women's selection show and listen to all of the "experts" give their take on the brackets, the match-ups, who got screwed, :eek: and who didn't. Who has the hardest path to the FF, and who has the easiest.

What games (usually during the 2nd weekend) will be key games to watch (i.e., Baylor & Miss St. THAT is a game I want to see!!! Neither one of them are planning on leaving the dance early). What teams to watch as a potential "dark horse". Then I get to fill out my bracket that's shot to hell after the 3rd round as always. I think there are 4-5 teams that have a legitimate chance ( if they can get hot, and the basketball Gods smile on them, like they did for South Carolina last year) to win the championship this year, but only 5. The rest of them are dreaming. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes I agree, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a cheap shot at the Lady Vols. I'm sure that I'll feel bad about it later on....:rolleyes:

The Lady Vols picked the worst time of the season to slip on that banana peel. Right now, they're heading in the wrong direction. They've fallen, and they can't get up. They've got poor Margo going out of her mind!! :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom