Women's soccer preseason poll

Discussion in 'UConn Baseball and Olympic Sports' started by dbmill, Aug 7, 2018.

1. dbmill

dbmill

The AAC women's soccer preseason poll is out. UConn is picked to finish 6th, and received no first place votes.

2018 Preseason Coaches’ Poll
    Place School Points (1st Place Votes)
    1. UCF 76 (6)
    2. USF 73 (3)
    3. Memphis 68 (1)
    4. Cincinnati 54
    5. SMU 53
    6. UConn 39
    7. Houston 34
    8. ECU 24
    9. Tulsa 18
    10. Temple 11

UConn senior Vivien Beil was named to the preseason all conference team.

UCF Tabbed American Favorite in Preseason Coaches’ Poll

2. dbmill

dbmill

UConn women's soccer had their first exhibition game tonight. Very annoying that I could not find either a video feed through All Access or Gametracker covering the game on the website. Both those items have been very useful in the past in following UConn Olympic sports. Hope these things will be back for the regular season. No roster sheet at the game as well, which was annoying as I had neglected to print out a roster in advance of the game.

UConn did beat Sacred Heart tonight 4-1 in a game that lasted about 65 minutes. At least for this exhibition game, UConn dominated a team that they should dominate, it was something that didn't happen much last season. Lightning (but no rain) delayed the game by about 45 minutes at the beginning, and then more lightning caused the game to be called early.

A few regulars from last year, including Vivien Beil and Kess Elmore, did not play. I don't know if it was due to injury or what.

The most noticeable change in team play was on offense. In the last years of Lenny Tsantiris run as coach, the UConn offense relied very heavily on the long ball, hoping a forward would run up on the ball and beat the defender for a goal strike. This style of play drove me crazy, since it often just lead to giving up the ball to the other side. While this Husky team tonight would lob the occasional ball downfield, it seemed that they were much more content to connect on shorter passes to advance the ball. To me this is a very welcome change.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Mr. Conehead likes this.
  3. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

Agree on the strategy, though it was more along the lines of relying in a single player's skill and/or speed to them convert the long-ball opportunities and over the last decade or so, UConn does not have that level of a player anymore due in part to the expansion of college women's soccer across the country. The new possession focus, which relies less on a single player and more on a team approach, should help.

Nevertheless, I'm still trying to adjust to the fact that I am old enough that my former classmate is the head coach...

4. dbmill

dbmill

I haven't seen a post by @Mr. Conehead for quite some time. Glad to see you back, at least for the time being.

5. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

Thanks. Had to take some time off as I was just too busy with life in general. Bu, I have some forced downtime, so may was well catch-up on a few things, such as the Boneyard, my waste-line, and my kids before they become teens and veer talk to me again (no necessarily in that order).

6. dbmill

dbmill

The UConn Blog posted a story on UConn's exhibition game on Tuesday against Sacred Heart. Among other things, it answered my question on why some players did not appear in the game:

>>The Huskies attack suffered a hit before the season even began. The team’s top two scorers from a year ago, Vivien Beil and Kess Elmore, both suffered knee injuries in the offseason and will likely miss the entire season. On top of that, sophomore forwards Yamilee Eveillard and Zoe Steck were both held out of the game due to a conditioning issue.<<

Beil, of course, was the only UConn player named to the AAC preseason all conference team. On a team short on big time talented players last season, these look to be big losses for the first season of head coach Margaret Rodriguez.

UConn Women’s Soccer Notebook: Huskies Dominant in First Exhibition Game

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. dbmill

dbmill

Life in college soccer is so much easier for a team when they have a consistent go to goal scorer. UConn women’s soccer lacked this type of player for a number of years until Rachel Hill arrived on campus to play four years of soccer for the team. Last season, with both Hill and Stephanie Ribeiro having graduated, the UConn women’s soccer team was once again back in the same boat of wondering where the goal scoring was going to come from. Partly as a result, UConn did not make the NCAA tournament.

Sophomore Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky (DK for short) is making a preseason bid to become the go to goal scorer. Last year, Danyko-Kulchycky played in 13 games and got two starts, but in the end got limited playing time, a bit over 200 minutes on the season. I saw a number of games, and she did not leave much of an impression on me This year in the preseason at least, DK has suddenly emerged and definitely left an impression, scoring 5 goals in two exhibition games. That sounds like the possible makings of a consistent goal scorer to me, even if the games were against Sacred Heart and New Hampshire. With UConn’s two leading goal scorers from last season possibly out for the season, the Huskies could definitely use the goal production. UConn’s regular season starts on Friday, August 17 at Northeastern, and continues with the home opener against Syracuse on Monday, August 20. We’ll see if Danyko-Kulchycky can continue to put the ball in the net as the regular season commences and the competition toughens up.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    Mr. Conehead likes this.
  8. gtcam

gtcam Diehard since '65

Margaret T Rod will be a good coach for the Huskies. She has seen what has and hasn't worked under Lenny and she is definitely her own person which is a good thing. She has recruited the area of NY from where she and Jen cut their teeth and brought in some nice players. They have shown during the 1st 2 preseason matches that they can score

9. dbmill

dbmill

10. dbmill

dbmill