Women's College Baseball | The Boneyard

Women's College Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have enjoyed watching the WCWS (Softball) a lot. I also watch WCVB and will watch Women's Beach (Sand) and indoor Volleyball this Summer. I never watch Men's Pro any-sport, although I used to be a big fan of same. Of course, I'm a gigantic UConn WCBB fan and somewhat to a lesser extent other WCBB on TV.

Reaction Score
I'm really glad you started this thread. I watched the WCWS last night and found myself completely intrigued, somewhat (not completely) for the same reasons I like WCBB: proportionality. The game is played with precision, strategy, and discipline. I also like that the women's teams have reinvented what it is to be fans. They all come out together to cheer a great play or a home run by a teammate. None of this male-constructed "cool." Awesome energy and spirit. My wife kept saying "The Red Sox game has already started," but I kept watching and I plan to watch again tonight.

Credit to ESPN (not an easy thing to admit). Because of their need to program all the time, they actually featured this, whereas in an earlier pre-ESPN age, it's probably unthinkable that this would have been on national TV.

Reaction Score
MLB for me but I actually prefer to listen on the radio.

Reaction Score
I love sports. I am a huge basketball fan. I will watch what ever team is playing, men's, women's, pros or college. Football but just the pros. I may watch the big college football games. Baseball but just the pros. I also watch college softball. I may watch volleyball, men's women's, pros or college.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Still don't understand why women don't just play baseball???? :confused:

Reaction Score
Still don't understand why women don't just play baseball???? :confused:

So, women in basketball play with a smaller ball than the men. Women in softball play with a bigger ball than the men's baseball. It's like they're converging toward something.

Does this mean that somewhere between the softball and the women's basketball, there's an ideal ball size for females in sport? :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Watching (and being an assistant coach on a couple of teams) both of my granddaughters play youth softball (local parks & recs), AAU travelball & high school softball going on 12 years now, has made me a real fan of women's softball. I'd watch a softball game on TV before I would a MLB game. I'll still go to a MLB in person, and enjoy it. I like being at the park. I like the atmosphere. Nothing like being at the ball park on a cool summer evening, in the presence of other baseball fans.................especially if the home team is winning. :D

I like eating hotdogs and multiple bags of peanuts while watching the game, and washing them down with several cold ones. I go to both Dodgers and Angels games. Both stadiums are within a 45 minute drive. I like to listen to Vin Scully call the game on the radio as I'm watching. Scully has been doing Dodger games for 67 years. He began in 1950 with Red Barber.

I also like the WNBA (Go Sparks). I attend 8-12 Sparks games a year. I still like to follow all of the UConn alums that are playing at the next level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Time we challenged the distinction between softball and baseball.

Do you want to play football? Sure, which kind do you want to play: touch, flag, or tackle? My point is that they are all football, and both softball and hardball, for that matter wiffle ball, should be baseball. The rules are relatively the same, and they all have bases.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Credit to ESPN (not an easy thing to admit). Because of their need to program all the time, they actually featured this, whereas in an earlier pre-ESPN age, it's probably unthinkable that this would have been on national TV.
Long time credit, actually. WCWS has been on TV a very long time. Super Regionals (since they went to that format in the last decade) have been on almost since they started.

But the coverage of the Regionals (first round) has improved tremendously. This year, virtually all were on the net, with TV picking up a much larger selection and also having a "highlights" feed. Previous years featured one or two Regionals (of 16), although mostly entire.

By the way, have been twice and the WCWS is positively wonderful to attend, and, oh yes, OKC a great venue for it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Go Sooners!!
Go Auburn.

More accurately, go Clint Myers. Always admired him at ASU, still do.

And that's a lot to say, since I am a serious U of A softball fan. The only other coach at the school up north that I like is Charli Turner Thorne. No other use for ASU sports whatsoever.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As I've said before, I prefer watching women do just about anything than I do men. The WCWS has been a blast, especially last night. I have found myself however watching some of the NBA finals. I do love pro football to death. I also enjoy women's college hockey, but my real love after WCBB is women's MMA, as some at the BY may have noted.

Reaction Score
I'm a big softball fan now that I'm no longer coaching, my daughter has been playing basketball and softball since first grade and currently plays on her high school team..............club softball has a culture all it's own................very competitive, very political, quite similar to AAU basketball...............Women's College World Series is a great watch.....final game 7 pm tonight on ESPN!!!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Long time credit, actually. WCWS has been on TV a very long time. Super Regionals (since they went to that format in the last decade) have been on almost since they started.

But the coverage of the Regionals (first round) has improved tremendously. This year, virtually all were on the net, with TV picking up a much larger selection and also having a "highlights" feed. Previous years featured one or two Regionals (of 16), although mostly entire.

By the way, have been twice and the WCWS is positively wonderful to attend, and, oh yes, OKC a great venue for it.
yup... its been on TV for a while. I actually get a lot of softball info from the Tennessee message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom