Womens basketball look to bounce-back | The Boneyard

Womens basketball look to bounce-back

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Women's Basketball: Coming off a Final Four loss, the Huskies look to bounce back
"Walker was a go-to player in Auriemma’s eight-person rotation last season and played beyond the expectations of a freshman ..." Occasionally - yes; consistently - No
"Coombs is a phenomenal guard that brings a lot of energy to the floor and will be a huge asset to this team in the upcoming season." Someone drank a pitch of the UCONN Kool-ade before and during writing this article. Was this ghost written by a Boneyarder? :D

Despite my sarcasm I think UCONN will find some combination of players to succeed.

Reaction Score
Women's Basketball: Coming off a Final Four loss, the Huskies look to bounce back
"Walker was a go-to player in Auriemma’s eight-person rotation last season and played beyond the expectations of a freshman ..." Occasionally - yes; consistently - No
"Coombs is a phenomenal guard that brings a lot of energy to the floor and will be a huge asset to this team in the upcoming season." Someone drank a pitch of the UCONN Kool-ade before and during writing this article. Was this ghost written by a Boneyarder? :D

Despite my sarcasm I think UCONN will find some combination of players to succeed.
Depends on how you define success.

Reaction Score
I define success as going undefeated during the regular season, going to the final four with a chance for a 12th National Championship. How many other teams can say that.

You must be disappointed a lot in real life if that is your definition of success.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You must be disappointed a lot in real life if that is your definition of success.
Not at all, I've had very little disappointments over my 65 years on this Earth. Considering that UConn women's basketball has gone to the final four for eleven consecutive years and has won it six times, what's there to be disappointed about. How many other WBB teams can say that. I may be happier if they had won, but not truly disappointed. Those young ladies gave it their all and that is all you can ask for.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Usually a team looking to "bounce back" had a poor previous season. Either this writer is not using the phrase as it's commonly used or she has impossibly high standards.

My realistic hope is that they come close to the success they had last season; pie in the sky hope is that they exceed it.

Reaction Score
I define success as going undefeated during the regular season, going to the final four with a chance for a 12th National Championship. How many other teams can say that.
I agree Sarg! I took exception to the wording; bouncing back! There are 360 (close number) Div 1 schools and 357 would have given their eye teeth (what the heck is that?) to have had Uconn/Geno's success last year.
Hot Dang- should Uconn schedule only one game every year? The NC? Seems it's not a success with out one.
I began watching Geno's teams because of their precision and the fun they seemed to have. They have had many many many more successful year s than "down" years

Reaction Score
Bad headline, is all. And it's the campus newspaper. You're surprised it's a homer's story?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the article overstates things regarding Megan and Mikayla. However, I think Megan will have a breakout year, and Mikayla has a lot of ability.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I think the article overstates things regarding Megan and Mikayla. However, I think Megan will have a breakout year, and Mikayla has a lot of ability.

Losing the two best defenders, AND ATHLETICISM of Gabby is a major challenge to replace !

Reaction Score
Mikayla and Megan have the potential to have breakout years this year. Megan is a talent. Mkayla showed flashes of being a heads up, extremely quick and fair to really good defensive guard.
Based on minimal PT last year maybe it was overstated but the potential is there.

Reaction Score
Bad headline, is all. And it's the campus newspaper. You're surprised it's a homer's story?
Homey story, true! My disconnect with it is minimal Last years team and Geno should be praised for what they accomplished with out a true strong center. Z did the best she could but she was not a true center, forward yes. Z's scoring ability was at times a savior and that deserves to be note.

Reaction Score

Do we even know Mukaylas health status? Is she cleared for activity and practice?

Reaction Score
Mikayla and Megan have the potential to have breakout years this year. Megan is a talent. Mkayla showed flashes of being a heads up, extremely quick and fair to really good defensive guard.
Based on minimal PT last year maybe it was overstated but the potential is there.
I watched every UConn game last season and never did I see flashes of greatness in Makayla. She drove to the hoop once or twice against nobody ( ie lousy teams in garbage minutes ), but usually just clanked outside shots on the rim. Then, her illness was announced and she disappeared. I wish her well and would love to share your optimism regarding her potential. But I think you are exaggerating her skills beyond any justification, based upon her freshman year at UCONN.

Reaction Score
I watched every UConn game last season and never did I see flashes of greatness in Makayla. She drove to the hoop once or twice against nobody ( ie lousy teams in garbage minutes ), but usually just clanked outside shots on the rim. Then, her illness was announced and she disappeared. I wish her well and would love to share your optimism regarding her potential. But I think you are exaggerating her skills beyond any justification, based upon her freshman year at UCONN.

I also was extremely let down by how Coombs played last season. I thought she was a much better player than she actually is. Her outside jump shot needs a ton of work and she did not show the ability to influence the game on the defensive end like she did in HS.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not at all, I've had very little disappointments over my 65 years on this Earth. Considering that UConn women's basketball has gone to the final four for eleven consecutive years and has won it six times, what's there to be disappointed about. How many other WBB teams can say that. I may be happier if they had won, but not truly disappointed. Those young ladies gave it their all and that is all you can ask for.

I don’t think that last line has been true either of the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
It is a little bit of a home run article for sure but I would expect that from the school newspaper.

The jury is still out for the rising sophomores but I wouldn't write them off. There are very few players who are college game ready from day one and it just so happens UConn has seen several over the years. That doesn't mean the others won't step up and make a sophomore leap.

As far as the expectations of fans, it's no secret UConn fans have very high expectations of this program given what it's accomplished. I said after the FF last year UConn has an argument for being the best team the last two years even if they didn't win. Two FF loses in OT as the only blemishes after a 4 peat is nothing to be upset about.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see UConn win the title this season. I expect the Huskies will be there at the end of the tournament.

Reaction Score
I think williams will be in the starting line up either opening night or if not shortly thereafter ala Kia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom