Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement | The Boneyard

Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
kp8te.gif

Reaction Score
(My uninformed speculation) - only way he does that is if Jim comes back for a couple years. I just can't see KO being that selfish, and leaving a program in a tough spot after his mentor built it and handed him the keys. I have trust in KO, and disregard this thread .

Reaction Score
(My uninformed speculation) - only way he does that is if Jim comes back for a couple years. I just can't see KO being that selfish, and leaving a program in a tough spot after his mentor built it and handed him the keys. I have trust in KO, and disregard this thread .
JC coming back is about as likely as me getting the Lakers job

Reaction Score
No knock on KO. Love him and want him here for a long time. But with that list of candidates, I don't see it. Lakers job maybe the best in NBA. Not necessarily today; but overall.

Reaction Score
Why is Bill Self's name never thrown into the discussion for NBA jobs? I'm not saying he's a home run hire but the guy has won a title and endless B12 championships and is currently AP coach of the year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't believe he would leave at this point. Many good reasons listed above. From a recruiting standpoint it gives him some more street cred. Didn't see Cal, K or Pitino's name up there. He has great respect.

Reaction Score
Don't see KO or Jay Wright as both really love coaching college basketball and have strong ties to their areas. If it were the 76'ers job for Wright he might take it.
Love the Jay Wright story. He was selling his house and when he got home after a long day his wife told him go out in the yard and pick up the dog poop. Wright said to his wife:" Do you think Jim Calhoun is home cleaning up dog poop?" His wife answered: "Jim Calhoun has 2 national championships."

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I don't see him leaving right now, but there are worse things than having your guy at the top of everyone's list for most sought-after coaches.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Just in time to make sure we lose out on all current recruiting battles...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Luke Walton should be etched in stone. He just publicly spurned the Knicks and Phil Jackson (more of a story that he spurned Phil Jackson). My guess is he saw this coming and wanted to keep his name in the hat for the Lakers. Luke Walton as the next head coach of the Lakers is about as much of a certainty as the sun rising in the east tomorrow morning.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Per Matt Moore, CBS: 11 candidates who would make sense as the Lakers' next head coach

8. Kevin Ollie: The Kevin Durant approach. Ollie is a long shot given his college gig at UConn, but he has been highly sought after in recent years and has a long-standing relationship with KD. It's a pretty big gamble with a fairly obvious one-sided pull in terms of
Durant's free agency, and if Durant does not join him in L.A., even if Ollie were the most credible choice, it'll be seen as a failed gambit.

Reaction Score
From Katz:

UConn coach Kevin Ollie said Monday that he has had no contact with the Lakers. He said he will always listen if called but it would take "something very special" to pull him away from UConn. He added his daughter is in high school and his son is at nearby Fordham and family is very important to him. Ollie was recruiting in Indianapolis over the weekend.

Reaction Score

4. Who should be the next coach of the Lakers?

Adande: Luke Walton would appease the fans. They loooooved him when he played for the Lakers and have been clamoring for him since the Warriors' hot start. UConn's Kevin Ollie would be an intriguing, fresh choice.

Elhassan: Walton is the hot name, and if he wants the job, he should get it. He's young, he has a good amount of coaching experience under his belt, he was a high-IQ player who won at the highest level and, of course, he has the vaunted Lakers bloodlines that the Busses seem to value so highly. If Walton doesn't leave the friendly confines of Golden State, I think Ollie would be a nice outside-the-box hire as a respected former player with championship coaching experience and the right temperament for today's NBA player.

Pelton: If the Lakers can get him, I think Walton is an ideal fit to try to recreate the Warriors' championship culture in L.A. Failing that, I would look closely at the college options (Ollie and Villanova's Jay Wright), former Suns coach Jeff Hornacek or a first-time head coach.

Reaction Score
Lakers job can't possibly entice KO, I love d.russell as a young player but whoever takes that job is a dead man walking(someone else will be brought on when they increase overall talent and get better). They just need a solid tank commander, their 2017 draft pick is 1-3 protected; they could be in a horrible position if too many games are won.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brad Stevens notwithstanding, the recent college to NBA hires of Donavan and especially Hoiberg (closest Ollie comp) don't look promising. Hoiberg arguably had a better roster than Thibs did in his last year but results were far worse. Donavan seems to be doing all the same things that Scott Brooks did. Brooks was the Durant lure hire and Washington quickly chose that route with I don't think even glancing in Ollie's direction. And the Lakers are likely at least one coach & 2-3 years away from the coach/team that is a contender. Lots of risk for that as the first job.
MN was the best coaching gig available due to their young talent and Thibs quickly grabbed that one. They will be very good for the next 5+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom