WNIT results: UCF, Tulane advance | The Boneyard

WNIT results: UCF, Tulane advance

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Twenty of the 32 first-round games of the WNIT have been completed. Two of UConn's conference mates won their opening games at home:
  • UCF d. Stetson, 73-53. Aliyah Gregory scored 23 points and Zykira Lewis added 22. UCF will next play at Georgia Tech on Sunday.
  • Tulane d. UT-Arlington, 62-53. Kolby Morgan scored 20 points and Leslie Vorpahl chipped in 13. On Sunday Tulane will host in-state rival Grambling State, who upset Ole Miss by 3 points on Thursday. Tulane actually beat Grambling by 23 points way back in its season opener.
SMU, the third AAC team in the WNIT, will host Louisiana Tech on Friday for its first-round game.

Of the 20 games played so far, 17 were won by the home team. The three victorious visiting teams were Grambling State (at Ole Miss), Abilene Christian (at Oklahoma State), and Washington State (at BYU).

Ten of the 20 games pitted a power-5 conference team against a mid-major or small conference team. The p5 teams won 8 of these 10 games, but of course most of the p5 teams were also playing at home.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Twenty of the 32 first-round games of the WNIT have been completed. Two of UConn's conference mates won their opening games at home:
  • UCF d. Stetson, 73-53. Aliyah Gregory scored 23 points and Zykira Lewis added 22. UCF will next play at Georgia Tech on Sunday.
  • Tulane d. UT-Arlington, 62-53. Kolby Morgan scored 20 points and Leslie Vorphahl chipped in 13. On Sunday Tulane will host Grambling State, who upset Ole Miss by 3 points on Thursday.
SMU, the third AAC team in the WNIT, will host Louisiana Tech on Friday for its first-round game.

Of the 20 games played so far, 17 were won by the home team. The three victorious visiting teams were Grambling State (at Ole Miss), Abilene Christian (at Oklahoma State), and Washington State (at BYU).

Ten of the 20 games pitted a power-5 conference team against a mid-major or small conference team. The p5 teams won 8 of these 10 games, but of course most of the p5 teams were also playing at home.
I would love to know what happened at Ole Miss and OK State. Grambling State was 2 - 9 OOC, one of their losses was to Arizona, in fact. They did well in conference, but it is a very weak conference. Doubt Abilene Christian is a powerhouse, either.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I would love to know what happened at Ole Miss and OK State. Grambling State was 2 - 9 OOC, one of their losses was to Arizona, in fact. They did well in conference, but it is a very weak conference. Doubt Abilene Christian is a powerhouse, either.
Abilene Christian is in the final year of its 4-year transition from D-II to D-I — and is therefore still ineligible for the NCAA tournament — but has already established itself as a force in the Southland Conference. ACU won the regular-season conference title outright last year and shared it this year with the Central Arkansas Sugar Bears. (I never pass up an opportunity to say "Sugar Bears"!) ACU takes down Cowgirls for first D-I postseason win

In its OOC this year, Abilene Christian got blown out by Baylor and Texas A&M but lost by only 6 points to Missouri. I'm surprised but not shocked that they were able to beat Oklahoma State in Stillwater. ACU is led by 4 senior starters and will next play the winner of the SMU-Louisiana Tech game.

Grambling State over Ole Miss is a major shocker of historic proportions: "With the win, Grambling State (19-14) is the first women's basketball team in [SWAC] conference history to win a postseason tournament game" (Grambling upsets Ole Miss, advances to second round of WNIT). And when was the last time a team from the SWAC beat an SEC team? Or any power-5 team? I'd really like to know.

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Big win for Washington State. Oh, what could have been for them this season without what seemed to be one injury right after another.

Reaction Score
UCF and Tulane both play again on Sunday, Mar. 19.

upload_2017-3-17_7-50-33.png

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Big win for Washington State. Oh, what could have been for them this season without what seemed to be one injury right after another.
I watched the WSU v BYU game. WSU was down by 14 points in the game and had every reason to pack bags and go home. They didnt. A lot of effort from the remaining players to make the comeback. I think they play Wyoming next. If the game is at Wyoming, that is a tough place to play.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I watched the WSU v BYU game. WSU was down by 14 points in the game and had every reason to pack bags and go home. They didnt. A lot of effort from the remaining players to make the comeback. I think they play Wyoming next. If the game is at Wyoming, that is a tough place to play.
It will be in fact at Wyoming.

Where was the WSU-BYU game televised?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I didn't see the game, but I was following the score, and saw they were way down early. Nice comeback. I agree that Wyoming is tough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom