WNBA unveils W25, a list of top 25 players in its 25-year history | The Boneyard

WNBA unveils W25, a list of top 25 players in its 25-year history

Reaction Score
Ten current players, including five-time Olympians Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi, and three players who were three-time MVPs highlight the list of "The W25," which was unveiled Sunday by the WNBA as it celebrates its 25th anniversary season.

The WNBA began with 72 nominees chosen for factors such as on-court performance and ability, leadership, sportsmanship and community service. Votes from a panel of media and women's basketball pioneers/advocates decided the W25.

Seattle's Bird, in her 18th season, and Phoenix's Taurasi, in her 17th, have spent their entire WNBA careers with the teams that drafted them. Bird has four WNBA championships with the Storm and Taurasi three with the Mercury; both teams have clinched playoff spots this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Among current players, Sue is the oldest and Stewie is the youngest.

Reaction Score
So the W25 list comprises 23 of the top 32 players in Total Win Shares (until 2020 season) plus Ticha Penicheiro and Breanna Stewart.

The Win Shares stats indicate these two players deserve to be on the list.
  • Penny Taylor (16th WS/40 and 17th Total WS)
  • Rebekkah Brunson (24th WS/40 and 18th Total WS)
1630890538751.png

Reaction Score
I would say the list is pretty strong. Some cases could be made for a few others. IMHO, I would take Angel off and put in Taylor, perhaps replace Cash with Brunson. Sacrilegious for this board I'm sure and I always loved Cash but am tempted to say there are a few players who could make some of the same arguments in their favor.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'll say it for The BY although I've said it over and over to friends. It's a shame Cheryl Miller never played in The Association. She was, IMO top 5 all time easy.

Reaction Score
I would say the list is pretty strong. Some cases could be made for a few others. IMHO, I would take Angel off and put in Taylor, perhaps replace Cash with Brunson. Sacrilegious for this board I'm sure and I always loved Cash but am tempted to say there are a few players who could make some of the same arguments in their favor.
So ESPN did there own Top 25.

Interestingly they included Brunson (#24) and Taylor (#25). Those making way were Cash and Penicheiro.

1632272382256.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ESPN has updated the list to include rankings.

1. Diana
4. Maya
8. Sue
12. Stewie
18. Tina

Reaction Score
Stewie is in #12 and no Cash in the top 25 is not a good list.
I loved Cash as a player but I genuinely don't think she's one of the 25 best of the WNBA. She wouldn't be far behind but I don't think I would put her above Taylor or Brunson. Additionally, in the ESPN article they also compared the stats of Delisha Milton-Jones with Cash and Taylor in a blind test and Swin had the least impressive of the stats, although all were fairly close.

Cash is a great spokesperson for the game and has represented herself well in the league and beyond. Someone has to be left out of any list and she would not make my top 25 but would likely be in the top 30.
ESPN has updated the list to include rankings.

1. Diana
4. Maya
8. Sue
12. Stewie
18. Tina
I love, love Maya but I don't think I would put her as high as 4 given the fact she cut short her career, albeit voluntarily, and will possibly never play in the league again. Swoopes would be above Maya in my chart. I am good with Taurasi, Cooper, Catchings, Leslie and Swoopes being the top 5. Maya would make my top 10 in a reshuffled list but I wouldn't put her above Swoopes, Jackson, or Bird. Just my two cents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom