OT: - WNBA Trade - Odyssey Sims to Sparks | The Boneyard

OT: WNBA Trade - Odyssey Sims to Sparks

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I dont really follow the W, but Sims for the #4 pick in this coming (fairly weak) draft??

She had a down season last year (shot 35.3% overall and 28.0% from 3) but still surprised that they would deal her given that there's no guarantee they can get anything better in the draft. Unless, of course, she asked to be traded.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was hoping for an Alexis Jones-Chelsea Gray reunion in LA...... but now that is off the table.... I hope that she lands in Dallas. Her father would be able to come to all of the home games if that happened.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
AP Source: Wings trade Odyssey Sims to Sparks for No. 4 pick

Sparks get their Toliver replacement. Wings get the #4 pick.

Wow, Thanks Orangutan. I didn't see this coming. I knew they were going to replace Tolliver, but I thought they'd do it through the draft. I guess they didn't feel there was anyone in this class that could come in and help them RIGHT AWAY. Sims is serviceable. She can come in and run the team from the PG position today. I think a change of scenery will do her a world of good.

I liked Sims when she was at Baylor. I remember her when she was a freshman. She was thrust into the starting pg spot because the starting pg quit the team just before the season started, and Mulkey did not have anyone else. She came into her own that year. Dallas now has 3 first round draft picks in the upcoming player draft in April. They can't screw this up. They should be competitive from day one this year.

I agree with Wbbfan1, I never thought the Sims/Diggins marriage would ever work. BOTH of them are point guards, and there was only 1 basketball on the court. They are both use to having the ball in their hands, and running the offense. She'll do well in L.A. She'll have a better team around her here. I'm a Sparks fan, and I welcome her to L.A., and the team. Go Sparks. :)

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So they traded a #2 pick for a #4 pick.

Probably use one or more of their 3 first round picks as trade bait themselves.

A #2 pick from a much stronger draft class. Chiney was the #1 pick, and after Sims came Kayla McBride, Alyssa Thomas, Natasha Howard, and Stefanie Dolson. I dare say that the #4 pick from that year might well go #1 in this year's draft.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Hmmmmm....

Not sure about this one. Riquina Williams and Odyssey Sims in the backcourt. Parker and Nneka may never see the ball. I kid...Parker wont have that.

Many LA fans felt that they needed a better PG than Toliver so this may be a solution to that.

It will be an intriguing Draft. Im anxious to see which of the Redshirt Juniors come out early.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hmmmmm....

Not sure about this one. Riquina Williams and Odyssey Sims in the backcourt. Parker and Nneka may never see the ball. I kid...Parker wont have that.

Many LA fans felt that they needed a better PG than Toliver so this may be a solution to that.

It will be an intriguing Draft. Im anxious to see which of the Redshirt Juniors come out early.

*ahem*

espnw_g_gray_576.jpg

Reaction Score
A #2 pick from a much stronger draft class. Chiney was the #1 pick, and after Sims came Kayla McBride, Alyssa Thomas, Natasha Howard, and Stefanie Dolson. I dare say that the #4 pick from that year might well go #1 in this year's draft.
Agree. Dallas drafted poorly for their needs when they took Sims. Then they trade Sims for a lesser player at the #4 pick. Maybe they get lucky and get someone like Coates, who can help the team. Maybe not.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is a good move for Sims. She will have more visibility. Remember, when Sims played with Griner she shared the ball, she was not the primary option. She will rack up assists like never before Nneka and Parker are going to love playing with Sims and O and O will probably be on the next Olympic team. This is Odyssey's chance to prove that she can be a pass-first PG. it's her ticket to the Olympics.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was hoping for an Alexis Jones-Chelsea Gray reunion in LA. but now that is off the table.---. I hope that she lands in Dallas. Her father would be able to come to all of the home games if that happened.

I'm hoping that Jones lands in Phoenix somehow.

Reaction Score
A blunder trade by Dallas imo unless as stated above she asked for it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hmmmmm.---.

I think Diamond will be gone. I think part of her problem with college ball is boredom and she is ready to be challenged at the next level. If she lands in the right situation she will be a great pro.

I know, nobody likes DD here, but her talent in undeniable.

Reaction Score
I think Diamond will be gone. I think part of her problem with college ball is boredom and she is ready to be challenged at the next level. If she lands in the right situation she will be a great pro.

I know, nobody likes DD here, but her talent in undeniable.

There is no reason on here for any UCONN fan to give her that much credit. I don't think you should as a Baylor fan either. You have enjoyed a certain excellence over the years. "Boredom" from a teams like yours and ours is "criminal." And as you speak of talent-- that statement invites mega-amount of players to the same party to varying degrees. For example some kids "have the talent" to be a spot bench player in pro ball" under the right situations etc. I just think you may have your anti-fan-UCONN hat on. It doesn't come on often but it does tip towards us sometimes.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There is no reason on here for any UCONN fan to give her that much credit. I don't think you should as a Baylor fan either. You have enjoyed a certain excellence over the years. "Boredom" from a teams like yours and ours is "criminal." And as you speak of talent-- that statement invites mega-amount of players to the same party to varying degrees. For example some kids "have the talent" to be a spot bench player in pro ball" under the right situations etc. I just think you may have your anti-fan-UCONN hat on. It doesn't come on often but it does tip towards us sometimes.

Seems like you are extra sensitive if you think that me saying good things about DD is being anti-UCONN. That is just silly talk.

I think DD has skills that will cause WNBA teams to want to take a chance on her. When she turns it on it is a thing of beauty and hopefully she will turn it on nightly as a pro. I take nothing away from any UCONN player...or Baylor player.

Reaction Score
Several people have made the good point that Dallas should have got more for Sims. I agree. She is an all-star. But I disagree with those who contend that the upcoming draft is a weak one. Perhaps that is because Saniya is the only UConn player coming out and she will probably be a second rounder. But Lindsey Allen, Alaina Coates, Kelsey Plum, Nina Davis, Brionna Jones, and several others should make teams and help those teams for years to come.

Reaction Score
Lindsey Allen, Alaina Coates, Kelsey Plum, Nina Davis, Brionna Jones, and several others should make teams and help those teams for years to come.

I think the point is not that the draft is weak overall, it is that there doesn't appear to be a STAR coming out. The players above are all VERY good, but IMO not one of them would have stood a chance to be a top pick last year.

Still the subject is the Sims trade, and how they will replace her. There is a LOT of dead weight on the Wings' roster, so any of the above players will find a place to fit in. Diggins has never been a true team player, so if the goal is to build around her, filling a roster with solid support players is a good plan.

Reaction Score
I think the point is not that the draft is weak overall, it is that there doesn't appear to be a STAR coming out. The players above are all VERY good, but IMO not one of them would have stood a chance to be a top pick last year.

Still the subject is the Sims trade, and how they will replace her. There is a LOT of dead weight on the Wings' roster, so any of the above players will find a place to fit in. Diggins has never been a true team player, so if the goal is to build around her, filling a roster with solid support players is a good plan.
I basically agree with you, except how many in the history of the sport would have been picked higher than Breanna? Obviously, last year's draft was very strong, especially if you had the first pick. But you are right, there is no Breanna, Maya, Tina, or Diana coming out this year. No one of that caliber.

Reaction Score
Seems like you are extra sensitive if you think that me saying good things about DD is being anti-UCONN. That is just silly talk.

I think DD has skills that will cause WNBA teams to want to take a chance on her. When she turns it on it is a thing of beauty and hopefully she will turn it on nightly as a pro. I take nothing away from any UCONN player...or Baylor player.

It is silly what you said. I see no other motivation in your post - in which you brought up "I know, nobody likes DD here, . . ."

Your motivation imo for your comment in your post was clear. For you to add in this remark "I know, nobody likes DD here, . . ."

sort of puts you in that YOU are "soooooo above it all."

And to get you back on point to MY reply to yours is that MANY have the talent to be WNBA players even if is just to make a roster without playing. SO your intial point of her being bored means what? Many players that don't try hard are either bored or lazy in some manner, right?

It's not being sensitive. The points of talented players being "bored" and not playing hard is horrific for our teams, is it not? What next overexaggerate my sue of the word "horrific?" How about "unaacpetable?"

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom