WNBA Team Groupings | The Boneyard

WNBA Team Groupings

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There appear to be 3 or possibly 4 groupings of the 12 teams in the WNBA this season.

Elite teams

Minnesota, which has had the best record every year or almost every year since Maya arrived, is clearly an elite team. They have the best record at 12-1 and have 4 U.S. Olympians on the roster. Though they are the oldest team in the league, they are the most consistent.

Los Angeles, the defending champs, are also an elite team. They have the MVP and a prior 2-time MVP, plus other solid pieces and one of the best coaches. They had a few losses early, but are 12-3 now and play Minnesota this week in an important and informative game.

Washington appears to be in limbo. Are they an elite team, a near-elite team, or a middle of the pack team? Certainly, EDD was a key addition, and Kristi Tolliver is a proven pro. I think they lack a post presence, even with Meeseman, but they may be the third best team. Their current record just short of the halfway mark suggest that. I saw them against Seattle, and they looked VERY good, but the Storm doesn't have a big inside game.

There are several teams that are middle of the pack. All have weaknesses and can't put together sustained winning streaks. Phoenix has 2 world-class players, but a bunch of no-names as well. They are 8-7, which puts them in the middle. They are still adjusting to missing Taylor, Dupree, and Bonner.

Connecticut looks like a team on the rise. Both Thomases are playing very well, and Jones looks like a star in the making. Can they beat good teams on the road?

New York was an elite team last year, but is 7-7 currently. Tina has played well, but they need consistent support from Piph, Sugar, et al. Kiah has played much less since Kia Vaughn returned.

Dallas is 8-9 and is hanging in there despite the absence of Courtney Paris and Aerial Powers. Skylar is playing good ball, as is Glory. Gray is the most effective rookie so far. Maybe she was the gem of the UNC Cinco de Mayo recruiting class.

Seattle is 7-8 and inconsistent. Jewell had a very hot start, but has been so-so most of the past 6-8 games. Stew is coming on, and Sue leads the league in assists. When the starters are on the floor and they play at home, the Storm look very good. They have great ball movement and a high shooting percentage, but they lack rebounding. They have not gotten much out of Swords.

Indiana is 7-8 and misses Catch. January is back, which should help. Their offense is balanced, with Dupree the leading scorer. Sometimes they look like a good team to me; other games, they look like a poor team.

Atlanta is 6-7 after a hot start. Obviously, they miss Angel. Tiff has had a good year and leads the team in scoring. Clarendon is 2nd in the league in assists. Holmes and Williams are nice players.

Chicago is one of the bottom dwellers. Despite their losing EDD, I thought they would fare better than they have. Cappie is 3rd in assists, and Quigley is 12th in scoring. Sloot, Young, and Stef are good players. Are they better than their record suggests?

San Antonio is not very good. They still lack inside play. Mo and KMac carry the team, and Izzy has become a good player. How many other solid pros are on their squad? Is Vickie a capable coach, or is the talent pool shallow? I look for them to have a better second half, but they should still finish last. Getting to 8 wins on the season would be a big accomplishment.

I've watched some teams more than others, so I'm a bit sketchy on some teams, Chicago and Indiana, in particular. Who do you think will emerge from the large pack in the middle? Who will sink into the cellar? Who will win the championship? Anyone other than Minnesotta or L.A.?

Reaction Score
Where did Jonquel Jones come from? What galaxy did she arrive from? Wasn't a big winner team-wise in college. Didn't do much last year. But this year she's established herself as one of the most powerful power players in the league. One of the biggest pro surprises that didn't arrive from overseas (assuming she isn't an extraterrestrial herself!).

Reaction Score
A surprise to me is why Seattle, with world-beater Breanna Stewart, the best point guard in history in Sue Bird, and a true star guard in Loyd aren't clobbering the league.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A surprise to me is why Seattle, with world-beater Breanna Stewart, the best point guard in history in Sue Bird, and a true star guard in Loyd aren't clobbering the league.
Seattle's bench is not good. If both Stewie and Sue are on the bench, ball movement and execution drop off badly. Last year, the Storm was the worst rebounding team in the league. They could really use Kiah Stokes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Where did Jonquel Jones come from? What galaxy did she arrive from? Wasn't a big winner team-wise in college. Didn't do much last year. But this year she's established herself as one of the most powerful power players in the league. One of the biggest pro surprises that didn't arrive from overseas (assuming she isn't an extraterrestrial herself!).
Jonquel has an interesting story. She's from the Bahamas and is a late bloomer. She played at powerhouse Riverdale Baptist in high school and was a McDonald's All-American. HoopGurlz rated her #17 in the 2012 class. She surprisingly chose Clemson, but transferred to GW to be closer to home after her first year. She averaged 10 rebounds at Clemson as a freshman and increased her averages over the next theee years. As a senior at GW, she led the nation at 14.6 rpg. Because of her college choices, she was under the radar a bit, but there was no doubt in my mind that she could be an elite rebounder.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

As you probably know she comes from that galaxy of beautiful islands called the Bahamas. Might have been under some radars because she grew up in the Bahamas and played college ball at a mid-major (GWU), but remember she was projected to be drafted in in the early first round (I had her 4th or 5th and hoped CT would take her or Powers with the 4th pick). The talk then was about her unusual handle, mobility, rebounding and outside shooting skills at 6'6" - a valuable skill set. She was a point guard until she hit a massive growth spurt entering high school. I remember Lobo being pretty high on her during the draft. Although her skills were evident, I think she was considered "raw" and in need of development. Her build is also pretty slim for a WNBA post player. She went 6th to LA (good teams can afford development time) and the Sun decided to trade their very talented point-guard-of-the-future (Chelsea Gray) for her... and the rest is her brief history.

Her numbers last year were deceptive because she was not getting a lot of minutes. Her "per 40 minute" output was really good, among the best in the league, but she made a lot of errors in the offense and on D, and Curt Miller, like Geno, has low tolerance for mental errors. With Chiney out, Coach Miller stated in the preseason that one silver lining might be that JJ would be forced to play big minutes and be allowed to play through her errors. At one event he said "as JJ goes, so go the Sun". In the off season in Korea, JJ was MVP and DPOY in her league and gained a ton of confidence. They also do two-a-day practices over there all through the season including weight lifting sessions every day. She came back stronger, but a little lighter and in need of some recovery time and dietary adjustments to promote a little healthy weight gain.

The only surprise about this year's breakout is how quickly it came together and I think there is more improvement to come. JJ is a terrific "kid" and is serious about her game and what her basketball success means for her financial security, and as a role model to the people back home - she's motivated. Give some credit also to the Thomas "sisters" having their own breakout years. They are 4th and 5th in the league in assists and guess where a bunch of those passes end up. Credit also to the Sun coaches who are getting JJ in positions within the offense to do her work.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You look at the two league leaders and they are so balanced - good guards and good post games. Everyone else struggles to put it all together - when they get balance they can get on a little run but they seldom are able to sustain it. And very few teams are able to win on the road - MN at 7-0, LA at 5-3, and Phoenix at 4-2 are the only ones to consistently do so, CT at 5-4 is the only other team above .500.

The league road record makes simple review of standings a little misleading as well - CT at 9 road games and Phoenix at 6 shows the imbalance that exists in scheduling until the end of the year - teams that have a string of home games to close out are the ones likely to surprise. I believe that really helped Seattle last season in their push for a playoff spot.

Reaction Score
Seattle's bench is not good. If both Stewie and Sue are on the bench, ball movement and execution drop off badly. Last year, the Storm was the worst rebounding team in the league. They could really use Kiah Stokes.
Neither Alysha Clark or Crystal Langhorne do an adequate job rebounding. If Stewie doesn't get the rebound the other team usually does. Until those 2 are replaced with new players, Seattle will continue to struggle. Stewie has to score, rebound, protect the rim, and many times bring the ball upcourt. This would have been a good place for Dolson, would have helped Stewie a lot.

Reaction Score
It's coaching, I think. Carolyn Swords was brought in to help that team with rebounding and strength in the interior. For whatever reason, Swords is doing nothing. She was a good player for NY and I think NY is missing her, but that coach in Seattle gets nothing from her. The only reason they are doing as well as they are is because of Stewart, Bird, and Loyd, because they are incredibly talented. Ms. Boucek, you have the top three point scorer in the history of women's college basketball there and you can't figure out a way to make her a regular contributor. The coach is the problem as I see it.

Reaction Score
The top four teams will soon be Minnie, LA, Coach T.'s team, and CT. Phoenix is not rising, they're falling. It might very well be Minnie and LA in the championship. But those four I expect to be there at the end.

psconn

Reaction Score
The top four teams will soon be Minnie, LA, Coach T.'s team, and CT. Phoenix is not rising, they're falling. It might very well be Minnie and LA in the championship. But those four I expect to be there at the end.

Don't forget the Merc just aquired Monique Currie from the SAS. She was playing well for SAS and will help the Merc.

Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones said she became mentally tough from playing overseas this past year. She said it really challenged her and pushed her limits and she came back a different player.

Reaction Score

Seattle is better than their record. What is surprising is counting this year so far if Seattle finishes .500 or below Sue Bird will have only been on one winning team in the past 7 years

Reaction Score

Jewel Loyd hasn't has her best season so far. Her shots aren't falling. And the few games that I saw, she has put up some questionable shots and made some careless passes.

psconn

Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones said she became mentally tough from playing overseas this past year. She said it really challenged her and pushed her limits and she came back a different player.

A small quibble with your statement... I can't find any reference to Jonquel or anyone else saying she "came back a different player". If you can cite this, please post a link. I'd like to read it in context because I think the opposite is true.

Coming into this season off her success in S.Korea, Jonquel was more confident, a bit stronger, leaner (too lean according to the Sun strength and conditioning coach), more experienced - all that, but in no way a different player. Jonquel's game and approach to it haven't changed, but like all 2nd year players she's getting better at it, and adjusting to the size, speed and grind of the league. Getting more opportunities due to Chiney's absence from the low post definitely helps. Jonquel is a motivated, hard working, coachable, and talented player. The increase in playing time without Chiney put some pressure and responsibility on her to perform. Because of who she is (and always was) she is stepping up. Her "per 40" stats this season are on track with her "per forty" numbers last season-

2016 - 19.4 P, 10.3 R, 3.2 B
2017 - 21.8 P, 16.8 R, 2.3 B

Nothing "different" in Jonquel between 2016 and 2017... just a developing major talent in the W working hard to make the most of her opportunities.

Last chance today... vote at WNBA.com or via Facebook and Twitter by posting the following text:
Jonquel Jones #WNBAVOTE

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jewel Loyd hasn't has her best season so far. Her shots aren't falling. And the few games that I saw, she has put up some questionable shots and made some careless passes.
Jewell was really hot for the first 6 games or so, especially when Sue and Stewie were out. Jewell has cooled considerably since. Like other very athletic players, Jewell can get a shot up whenever she wants, but see the thread on shot selection. Geno's view on defense is to make players take the shots you want, not the ones they want.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom