WNBA SHOT CLOCK - thoughts | The Boneyard

WNBA SHOT CLOCK - thoughts

Reaction Score
What do ya'll think about the current WNBA shot clock?
My wife and I are watching another WNBA season unfold. It seems to us the 24 second shot clock is too short. Here's some of our thoughts on it;

1. It looks like they're playing with their hair on fire and out of control much of the time. Run and gun. Not enjoyable to us. Like takented kids at the park on saturday gettin their own. Yes, it's boring to us.

2. Currently, it allows less time and opportunity to actually run an offensive play which involes the "team". More coaching strategy would be involved, if there were just a little bit longer shot clock.

3. Currently, it encourages a one-person offense. Many times while being triple-teamed people go to the hoop, which seems like a bad decision, but evidently it might be necessary because of the lack of time? There is 18-15 seconds left after the ball gets past half court, so someone has to do something rather quickly we think we are observing.

4. Chances for injury may increase because of the hectic pace which results in less physical control.

5. Plainly, we would like to see it go to 30 seconds.

6. We are for fast play, but not chaotic play. Honestly, again, we are not finding it enjoyable to watch oftentimes during the game. We may not subscribe next year.

Just our quick thoughts...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting question - and I think another difference between men's and women's basketball - because of the difference in athleticism, women's basketball remains more of a team game that requires teamwork to create good open shots, and that takes more time to develop. But it is also I think partly the result of early season adjustments and the teamwork even with the 24 second clock should improve as the season continues.

I suspect it will not be changed and chances are much higher that the college game eventually goes to the 24 second clock than that the pros go to a longer clock.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I more often wish that the college shot clock was shorter than I do that the pro shot clock was longer. UConn and a few other teams make good use of the longer shot clock but for many college teams it's just an excuse to run bad, stagnant offense for 6 more seconds.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, as most are saying here, it's not gonna get longer. The college shot clock will probably get shorter. I'm fine with a shorter shot clock. I think it will help UCONN a lot.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree with you on most points, however I don't think 6 more or less seconds is as significant as the other aspects of great basketball such as ball movement, involving all players, and proper spacing. In Pennsylvania most HS basketball is played without a shot clock but the better teams are always the ones that master these things.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Does the WNBA use FIBA rules on offensive rebounds? In FIBA games, the clock is reset to 14 seconds on an offensive rebound, not the full 24 seconds.

Reaction Score
While I like WNBA basketball very much, many times I have said that I would prefer that they use a 30 second clock. A lot of bad shots are taken because of the shot clock. Players may not get an open shot, but they have to take it anyway. It looks ugly to me. I like the way UConn passes the ball until they get an open shot. That is part of the prettiness of the game. Somewhat surprisingly, Geno favors the 24 second shot clock for women's college basketball.

Moreover, I agree, Ukonnfan, with many of your other points and the essential gist of your post, but I also agree with many of the other posters that say it ain't happening, going to the 30 second clock. Too much emphasis on moving things faster. Short attention spans of modern human beings. A flaw we are unlikely to rectify in the near term.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Somewhat surprisingly, Geno favors the 24 second shot clock for women's college basketball.
Why would that surprise you??

Yea, as most are saying here, it's not gonna get longer. The college shot clock will probably get shorter. I'm fine with a shorter shot clock. I think it will help UConn a lot.
I'm sure Geno agrees.

Reaction Score
Why would that surprise you??

It surprises me that Geno would prefer the shorter shot clock because as others have implied, UConn is masterful at taking advantage of the 30 second shot clock, the way they pass until they get an open shot. He also likes the game to look good and in my opinion the game is not as pretty when they force up shots due to time constraints.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom