WNBA Season | The Boneyard

WNBA Season

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what the league decides to do once the decision is made when or if to have a season. The schedule is already out but it factored in a month break due to the Olympics. The finals probably would have been in mid October. Will they prepare an entirely new schedule without a month off?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what the league decides to do once the decision is made when or if to have a season. The schedule is already out but it factored in a month break due to the Olympics. The finals probably would have been in mid October. Will they prepare an entirely new schedule without a month off?

In NYC, people are dying left and right. No chance in h*** the season is played. And even if you remove the crowds from the equation, of all the sports, I can't think of any sport more dangerous to play in these conditions than Basketball.

I could imagine some sports could be played like baseball (with some clever rule modifications) or tennis ot even football /hockey with uniform modifications ??? but not basketball unless it is a game of horse or 3pt contests.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In NYC, people are dying left and right. No chance in h*** the season is played. And even if you remove the crowds from the equation, of all the sports, I can't think of any sport more dangerous to play in these conditions than Basketball.

I could imagine some sports could be played like baseball (with some clever rule modifications) or tennis ot even football /hockey with uniform modifications ??? but not basketball unless it is a game of horse or 3pt contests.
If and when the NBA resumes you are looking at NBA finishing the season in September best case. This is going to conflict with WNBA teams who share the stadium. I don't see a WNBA season quite honestly. Megan might as well come back to school. Even if we get through the current crisis many experts are predicting a uptick in cases in the fall time frame.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A revised schedule is almost a certainty in light of what is "guaranteed" to be a late start to the season. They can now use those 30 days previously set aside for the Olympics. Like the LA Sparks that share an arena with other sports franchises (Lakers/Clippers/Kings), arena availability for some teams will be a factor.

Do they try and play a full 36 game season (increased from 34 included in the new CBA this year), or a modified schedule including a reduced playoff field? Lots of their players are under contract to teams overseas whose season may begin before a revised WNBA season would end.

That would be a problem if 1-2 of your best players had to leave before the season ended. Imagine if EDD and Emma Meesseman both had to leave the Mystics two weeks BEFORE the end of the season because of contractual obligations overseas. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also believe that the WNBA season is going to be canceled for this year. If it is, can Megan return for her senior year?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If the season is played at all — and that is a very big 'if' at this point — it will have a very late start and, obviously, no month off. (The months off are going to be April, May, June ... .)

I also believe that the WNBA season is going to be canceled for this year. If it is, can Megan return for her senior year?
She will have already been drafted, so I doubt it. (I also doubt she would return even if she could.)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

According to the rules now in force...no
But who knows what exceptions and adjustments will be made, especially (as I anticipate) if the season is cancelled.

And Megan (under that situ) may very well consider what is her best option under those circumstances...which might very well be suiting up as a Husky and getting her degree.

Plebe

Reaction Score
According to the rules now in force...no
But who knows what exceptions and adjustments will be made, especially (as I anticipate) if the season is cancelled.

And Megan (under that situ) may very well consider what is her best option under those circumstances...which might very well be suiting up as a Husky and getting her degree.
We're sailing through uncharted waters, so many things are possible, with varying degrees of likelihood.

Just reading in between the lines, Megan seems ready to move on. Even if there's no W this summer, there might be overseas play between now and April 2021.

Reaction Score
I don't think you will see basketball games anywhere for a long time. "overseas play?" Where did you have in mind? Antartica , maybe.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We're sailing through uncharted waters, so many things are possible, with varying degrees of likelihood.

Just reading in between the lines, Megan seems ready to move on. Even if there's no W this summer, there might be overseas play between now and April 2021.
No, Plebe, no. There would have to be a vaccine developed in the next month for that to be a possibility, imo. I'm with Longtime fan. I believe the problems overseas will continue past this Summer. But, one never knows what actually will happen.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No, Plebe, no. There would have to be a vaccine developed in the next month for that to be a possibility, imo. I'm with Longtime fan. I believe the problems overseas will continue past this Summer. But, one never knows what actually will happen.
Well then, as it pertains to the question I was responding to, in that scenario there would be no 2020-21 NCAA season and Megan Walker would not be donning a UConn uniform again anyway.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Right now (March 28), I don’t see the resumption of NBA league play. Possibly in another 60-90 days. I think if there is any way the owners can recoup some of the money they are losing daily, they will. At least they will try. If they are able to resume play, it’s a good bet that the WNBA will follow their lead and attempt to salvage as much of their season as possible.

With the confirmed number of cases growing daily along with the number of deaths, I don’t see the resumption of play before August. The curve has to flatten before that can happen.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Supposedly, the worst is yet to come. I would be very surprised if there will be a 2020 season in any sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom