WNBA Season Openers 05/24 | The Boneyard

WNBA Season Openers 05/24

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Opening this thread for any commentary on Opening Night games

Well, Liberty vs Indiana (YES / NBA TV) 8PM

Dallas vs Atlanta 7:30 League Pass

I am a Liberty Fan but am expecting heartbreak. I have no confidence in Katie Smith as coach. :(

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Heartbreaking loss at the buzzer. McGowan (she is strong) with an alleyoop with 0.0 seconds left Indiana wins 81-80 wasting Tina Charles 32pt 12 rb effort. Going to be a very long year. Kia was sharp early but fell into the morass which is the Liberty. :(:mad:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Opening this thread for any commentary on Opening Night games

Well, Liberty vs Indiana (YES / NBA TV) 8PM

Dallas vs Atlanta 7:30 League Pass

I am a Liberty Fan but am expecting heartbreak. I have no confidence in Katie Smith as coach. :(

well you got it :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Humble apologies, I’m not sure how I missed this thread before starting another on the same subject.

Reaction Score
Heartbreaking loss at the buzzer. McGowan (she is strong) with an alleyoop with 0.0 seconds left Indiana wins 81-80 wasting Tina Charles 32pt 12 rb effort. Going to be a very long year. Kia was sharp early but fell into the morass which is the Liberty. :(:mad:
Nice play but to call this an alleyoop ... really?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Query: why was TM guarded by Rebecca Allen? Katie Smith makes Pokey look like a HOFer.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Don't forget, Lou vs. Phee, tonight at 8PM ET on CBSSN

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I liked how all the starters in the Sky/Lynx game greeted each opposing player before the tipoff. Maybe this is the norm in the WNBA but I believe that this is the first tipoff that I have ever seen.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is dominating in her debut game. 24 points midway through the 4th. Warnings of bigger and stronger players in the W are not going to be heard when facing the Sky. Deshields and GW cannot guard her.

Shepard also is looking pretty good on the offensive glass and with some assists. Not so good on the scoring though.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Lexie Brown played more minutes tonight than she did the entire season last year :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think Lexie Brown played more minutes tonight than she did the entire season last year :rolleyes:
She did pretty good in them too:p
I know you're poking fun at Connecticut fans lol, but she did do good. The minutes are going to do nothing but help her

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I liked how all the starters in the Sky/Lynx game greeted each opposing player before the tipoff. Maybe this is the norm in the WNBA but I believe that this is the first tipoff that I have ever seen.

I think it's standard procedure to come over and give a quick fist-bump or something to the opposing players after being introduced.

Napheesa is dominating in her debut game. 24 points midway through the 4th. Warnings of bigger and stronger players in the W are not going to be heard when facing the Sky. Deshields and GW cannot guard her.

Shepard also is looking pretty good on the offensive glass and with some assists. Not so good on the scoring though.

Lots of folks are going to have career nights vs. Chicago this year, it seems. I'm not sure who "GW" refers to but no one on Chicago could guard anyone.

Shepard missed some bunnies but they don't need her to score. If she keeps getting boards and dropping dimes and she'll get plenty of PT off the bench.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
No Cambage for the Aces tonight. Swords starts. For LA, Vadeeva starts alongside Nneka in the frontcourt.

Both teams look really good. I think both of these teams are contenders. Especially when LV gets Cambage and LA gets Candace.

Dearica Hamby looks much better than I've ever seen her before. Interestingly, LV is using Tamera Young at point guard some. I've now seen her legitimately play 1-4 in the WNBA.

Gray and Nneka have been the standouts for LA. Riquana Williams hit a banked 3 at the buzzer but she was a split-second late in getting off the shot.

Reaction Score
I think it's standard procedure to come over and give a quick fist-bump or something to the opposing players after being introduced.

Lots of folks are going to have career nights vs. Chicago this year, it seems. I'm not sure who "GW" refers to but no one on Chicago could guard anyone.

Shepard missed some bunnies but they don't need her to score. If she keeps getting boards and dropping dimes and she'll get plenty of PT off the bench.
Gabby Williams

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No Cambage for the Aces tonight. Swords starts. For LA, Vadeeva starts alongside Nneka in the frontcourt.

Both teams look really good. I think both of these teams are contenders. Especially when LV gets Cambage and LA gets Candace.

Dearica Hamby looks much better than I've ever seen her before. Interestingly, LV is using Tamera Young at point guard some. I've now seen her legitimately play 1-4 in the WNBA.

Gray and Nneka have been the standouts for LA. Riquana Williams hit a banked 3 at the buzzer but she was a split-second late in getting off the shot.

The Aces are stacked at every position except center. They come in waves. Jackie Young now getting into the fun with 4-4 shooting on her drives into the post area. And Sydney Colson is playing intense defense and on and on. And Lambeer knows what he is doing. Took the heart of the Liberty with him.

Only Sparks players doing a good job are Nneka and Vadeeva but in foul trouble.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Great start to the season for the Aces, totally controlled this game even without Cambage.
Wilson had 21 and 11, McBride had 20 and 7, Hamby was outstanding off the bench with 12 pts, 14 rbs, 3 blks.

As if the Sparks weren't already unlikable enough, they add Whiner Supreme Mabrey and then dip into the Double Standard Jar by holding on to Riquna Williams.

How has there not been more of an outcry about this? Can you imagine if an NBA player were facing the same type of allegations? SMH

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Why Chicago took KLS over Collier is mindboggling to me. Chicago has 3 very good wings in Deshields/Quigley/Williams and Collier would've given them a better scoring option at the 4.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Great start to the season for the Aces, totally controlled this game even without Cambage.
Wilson had 21 and 11, McBride had 20 and 7, Hamby was outstanding off the bench with 12 pts, 14 rbs, 3 blks.

As if the Sparks weren't already unlikable enough, they add Whiner Supreme Mabrey and then dip into the Double Standard Jar by holding on to Riquna Williams.

How has there not been more of an outcry about this? Can you imagine if an NBA player were facing the same type of allegations? SMH

Mabrey looked good shooting tonight. I cant believe they resigned Williams though...seems awfully risky when she is just streaky bench player who commands a veteran salary.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Mabrey looked good shooting tonight. I cant believe they resigned Williams though...seems awfully risky when she is just streaky bench player who commands a veteran salary.
Yeah she hit a couple of long-range bombs, one with Plum right in her face. I thought Kalani Brown also looked pretty good.

Gotta wonder how Fisher is gonna balance playing time and roles among Nneka, Chiney, Parker, Vadeeva and Brown.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yeah she hit a couple of long-range bombs, one with Plum right in her face. I thought Kalani Brown also looked pretty good.

Gotta wonder how Fisher is gonna balance playing time and roles among Nneka, Chiney, Parker, Vadeeva and Brown.

I dont get it....I'm not at all convinced Fisher will do a good job in LA. The current roster makeup is questionable at best since they could really use an explosive wing and they're so overloaded inside with F/C players. Brown was by far the best option on the table at 7 so they probably felt she was too good to pass up, and then Chiney fell into their lap. In reality, LA would benefit more from KLS and Chicago benefits more from having Brown inside.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be the Boneyard if there weren't overreactions after one game. That's my observation after the season openers. That and Shekinna Stricklen didn't skip any meals during the off-season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom