WNBA salaries. | The Boneyard

WNBA salaries.

Reaction Score
Harsh....but true.

"Unfortunately Wilson’s thoughts reflect a growing trend of sports commentary looking at the plight of the “underpaid” WNBA player. Lisa Borders, president of the WNBA, has even directly pointed to sexism as a driving reason for the discrepancies between the earnings of male and female players.

Of course the real issue has nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with the fact that the WNBA simply isn’t very popular with Americans."

WNBA Players Should Stop Complaining. If Anything, They're Overpaid

"But as its 20th season gets underway, the W.N.B.A.’s modest attendance and television viewership (just below 200,000 on ESPN’s networks last season) illuminate a stubborn imbalance between men’s and women’s professional leagues, adding to the expanding debate about the place of women’s sports in society.

Half of the W.N.B.A.’s 12 teams lose money, and they benefit from revenue generated by the N.B.A.’s national television and sponsorship deals."

After Two Decades, W.N.B.A. Still Struggling for Relevance

I value and appreciate WNBA and women's college basketball. I also recognize salaries will not increase until there is a substantial increase in audience. This point is emphasized using economic analysis by John Phelan

"From the point of view of the team owners, the measure of output that matters is the revenue the players generate. And when LeBron James steps onto the court, it generates far more revenue for the Heat, Cavaliers, or Lakers than it does for the Lynx when Maya Moore does so. They may exert the same physical effort, but far more money is handed over by consumers to the NBA than the WNBA in return for all this.

"I do not know if the difference in demand for men’s and women’s basketball is because of a difference in the quality of the product or because of sexism on the part of consumers. But in a sense, it doesn’t matter. Whichever it is, the answer is not for WNBA teams simply to start paying their players as much as the NBA does theirs. They can’t. The money isn’t there."

This is the reason that LeBron earns more than Moore and all NBA players make more than all WNBA players.....the audience is much, much, much larger and generates vastly more revenue and profit compared to the relatively small revenue and loss generated by the WNBA.

Why WNBA Stars Make (Way) Less Than NBA Backups—and Why That's Okay | John Phelan

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There is really no disagreeing with your overarching point, but I would still like to see players earn more. Unfortunately, I don't know where that money could be generated from. NBA style salaries are a whole different animal, I suppose I'm happy for NBA team ownership that they make so much that they can afford to give their players millions and millions. I personally think the salaries are absurd, regardless if they are deserved relative to the market.

Reaction Score
Harsh....but true.

"Unfortunately Wilson’s thoughts reflect a growing trend of sports commentary looking at the plight of the “underpaid” WNBA player. Lisa Borders, president of the WNBA, has even directly pointed to sexism as a driving reason for the discrepancies between the earnings of male and female players.
I suspect that statements like this make her and the league look ridiculous to the point of turning off people who might have eventually given the league a watch. In fact, if I were not a long time fan and didn't love watching Women's basketball so much, I might even be tempted to quit watching in reaction to her statement. To me, it sounds like someone making excuses for herself and others that have failed to make the game more popular. I think it can be done, but not by individuals who fail to comprehend reality. They need to get people that have fresh idea's, and not politicians who like to pass the buck.

Reaction Score
Impossible to increase salaries in the entertainment business in the face of declining audience.

Average per-game attendance decreased in 2018 and has declined since 2010

1*LJG4QTIb8LItT-bnZjRjZw.png

Fan turnout decreased by about 1000 fans per game in 2018, reaching its lowest level in the last 9 years.

At the All-Star Game, Borders defended the WNBA’s financial health, asserting that “all the numbers are pointing in the right direction.” However, attendance seems to be an exception to that rule. Since 2010, when the WNBA shrunk to its current 12 teams, total attendance has hovered between 1.3 and 1.65 million fans per season, peaking in 2011. In 2018, average per-game attendance was 6,721 fans, down 13% from 2017.

Nine teams saw their average attendance decrease in 2018

Seattle, Phoenix, and Dallas all increased their average attendance from 2017 to 2018. Dallas led the way with nearly 1,000 more fans per game. The other nine teams all saw their attendance decrease. The New York Liberty had the largest decrease by far, losing about 7,000 fans per game in 2018. For comparison, in each of the previous five seasons (2013 through 2017), at least half of WNBA teams increased their average attendance from the year prior.

1*tZDhYXT9eIOxALHP7GJAXQ.png

From

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom