WNBA ROY...POY? | The Boneyard

WNBA ROY...POY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The regular season is over....I assume these awards will be decided very soon...certainly before the finals?

EDD...ROY...not a particularly close vote

MVP: I saw a very recent article that suggested EDD might win that award too. Other serious candidates...imo....Maya, Candace, Dee. Maya wins imo. Dee is hurt by very slow start by the team and all the techs she has received.

The West is so much better than the East....the Sky get to the finals fairly easily. Minny and LA pretty much a toss-up....with Phoenix a possible upset winner.

Minny has home court throughout....Maya gets another ring when it is all over.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I certainly think Maya is deserving - and in truth, made her case stronger and stronger as the season went on.

It wouldn't be EDD, her season was great, but others who are not rookies had better seasons - her chance will come. As said, I think DT hurt herself with the suspensions and inconsistencies.

I didn't follow so closely as to rule out the other candidates, but, as I said, Maya is deserving.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The regular season is over....I assume these awards will be decided very soon...certainly before the finals?

EDD...ROY...not a particularly close vote

MVP: I saw a very recent article that suggested EDD might win that award too. Other serious candidates...imo....Maya, Candace, Dee. Maya wins imo. Dee is hurt by very slow start by the team and all the techs she has received.

The West is so much better than the East....the Sky get to the finals fairly easily. Minny and LA pretty much a toss-up....with Phoenix a possible upset winner.

Minny has home court throughout....Maya gets another ring when it is all over.

I agree with all those who are picking EDD as ROY .... that one seems easy.

MVP - I think if I were voting it would be a very close race between Maya and CP3. The momentum seems to be leaning Maya's way, so I would bet on her at the moment.

When does the voting take place? I am guessing that at least the early rounds of the playoffs will be factored into the vote. We will see what Maya does against Seattle and then hopefully against the following opponent in the Western finals. If she performs well, she is a good shot for MVP. If Parker shows out and leads her team through Minny and into the Finals (assuming Minny beats Seattle), then I expect she would recapture some of the momentum amongst the journalists.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree with all those who are picking EDD as ROY .... that one seems easy.

MVP - I think if I were voting it would be a very close race between Maya and CP3. The momentum seems to be leaning Maya's way, so I would bet on her at the moment.

When does the voting take place? I am guessing that at least the early rounds of the playoffs will be factored into the vote. We will see what Maya does against Seattle and then hopefully against the following opponent in the Western finals. If she performs well, she is a good shot for MVP. If Parker shows out and leads her team through Minny and into the Finals (assuming Minny beats Seattle), then I expect she would recapture some of the momentum amongst the journalists.

It's a regular season award and in previous years has been announced during the last week of Sept.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is it MVP or MOP? That subtlety makes a difference.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's a regular season award and in previous years has been announced during the last week of Sept.

Thanks for the clarification - then Maya is probably in the driver's seat. Sportswriters (two of which you referenced) seem to be leaning her direction ....

Reaction Score
Season predictions
Rookie of the year: Elena Delle Donne
MVP: either Delle Donne or Moore.
Finals will be Chicago and Minnesota, west finals Los Angeles and Minnesota, east Chicago and Atlanta. Who wins will be a close call though.
If Taurasi stays out of trouble and Griner produces, Phoenix could be a contender.
Anyone else would amaze me.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Is it MVP or MOP? That subtlety makes a difference.

Amongst other awards, there is the regular season MVP and also a 'Finals MVP' handed out each year... see the box on the right hand side of the linked page for all WNBA awards and honors

LINK

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
AP's Doug Feinberg reporting that Parker has won the MVP award, edging out Maya in a very close vote (234-218). They each earned 10 first-place votes.

Parker edged out Minnesota's Maya Moore and Chicago's Elena Delle Donne in one of the closest ballots in league history, the person told the AP. Parker finished with 234 points, Moore had 218 and Delle Donne 189. It's the closest the top two players have been in the voting since Sheryl Swoopes edged Lauren Jackson by two points in 2005.

Parker and Moore each received 10 first place votes from the 39-member national media panel.

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2013/09/19/ap-source-las-candace-parker-wins-wnba-mvp

Maya's time will come. Now, on to what matters most: winning the championship.

Reaction Score
Amongst other awards, there is the regular season MVP and also a 'Finals MVP' handed out each year... see the box on the right hand side of the linked page for all WNBA awards and honors
MOP is most outstanding player, which they give the regional and final four winners
in the NCAA tournament.
The Wooden award is the NCAA version of the MVP.
LINK

Reaction Score
"Parker edged out Minnesota's Maya Moore and Chicago's Elena Delle Donne in one of the closest ballots in league history, the person told the AP. Parker finished with 234 points, Moore had 218 and Delle Donne 189."

Hm....

Isn't the MVP award for most VALUABLE player? Tell me who is more valuable to their team, Elena/Maya or Candace? Well, I think we all know the answer if we look how much Elena and Maya improved their team in one year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom