WNBA Rosters and Opinion on Cuts. | The Boneyard

WNBA Rosters and Opinion on Cuts.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Besides the WNBA rosters, some more sobering news

Further, overseas leagues might be limited or shutdown this coming winter, depending upon the progress of the pandemic. These leagues have been the bread and butter for every cut player, every undrafted athlete who loved the game too much to stop, and for WNBA players who needed to supplement their meager salaries. South Korea and Australia have already said no to foreign players next year. What if others around the world follow? U.S. hoopers would be forced to fall back on their college degrees sooner than anticipated - and in a job market that some have said will be the worst we've seen since the Great Depression.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Further, overseas leagues might be limited or shutdown this coming winter, depending upon the progress of the pandemic. These leagues have been the bread and butter for every cut player, every undrafted athlete who loved the game too much to stop, and for WNBA players who needed to supplement their meager salaries. South Korea and Australia have already said no to foreign players next year. What if others around the world follow? U.S. hoopers would be forced to fall back on their college degrees sooner than anticipated - and in a job market that some have said will be the worst we've seen since the Great Depression.
I note that Imani-McGee Stafford is sitting out this season with the Dallas Wings to earn her law degree. Seems like a smart move.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno's assessment of Meg and Crystal's fit on their WNBA teams _+ some Coach Reeve and Hopkins

Of course, I wish both Huskies the best. If Meg works on getting to the basket, I hope she improves her finishing. She still has things to improve on, but she has a world of talent.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

..or just take the winter off and train? Most of these women make around six figures plus for playing 4 months out of the year. Compared to the rest of society and the economic situation a lot of people are in due to Covid, I'd say they have a pretty good situation.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I note that Imani-McGee Stafford is sitting out this season with the Dallas Wings to earn her law degree. Seems like a smart move.

Good for her. I'll be surprised if she plays in the WNBA again. Hard to come back from 2 years off, and by that point she may just want to focus on getting her law career underway.

Reaction Score
Question for everyone, what happens to the players that were waived just before the mandated cutdown. They were waived, correct? so several days after that deadline shouldn't teams below the cap with rosters of 11 have had the right to pick up those players off waivers?

At this point I expected to hear about a couple of them being picked up off waivers. There is also no indication the late cuts cleared waivers. So can there be no changes to the roster's for now? I also see how the waiver process could have been complicated if, for example, a team at 12 decided they liked a cut player more than one of the 12 they picked. and wanted to cut the existing player (but after the 26th deadline) and pick up the waived player.

On the other hand there was at least one team (Aces) that had a roster of 11 and cap room to sign a rookie scale player, so why wouldn't they have the right to pick up the waived players, and if I was a team that didn't have a roster spot but wanted to switch one of my 12 with a cut player, isn't there a pretty good case to be made for that? If the league allowed that with their usual 2 day period to clear waivers those changes could have taken place with time to get checks prepared for June 1st.

So if you are a recently waived player, if not now, when can a team potentially cut a player and sign you? They need to set the rules for this pronto, and it is highly likely that some of the foreign players the teams are counting in their 12, will wind up not coming so you have to allow for roster changes, and the rules for players waived by the 26th, including claiming players off waivers immediately thereafter should be known before that deadline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom