WNBA Pushing Season Back | The Boneyard

WNBA Pushing Season Back

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Note that they haven't mentioned how far back they're pushing the start of the season... I'll be impressed if it happens at all, at this point.

Reaction Score

Note that they haven't mentioned how far back they're pushing the start of the season... I'll be impressed if it happens at all, at this point.
Since the Olympics has been canceled it allows some leeway for the start of the season. Like you I would be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

The odds are against, no doubt. But it does makes sense to delay an all-out cancellation of the season as long as even a sliver of a chance remains.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Play in the September!

The problem is that the WNBA can't go too late into the fall because most players will be going back over to Europe where they earn most of their money. It'll be interesting to see how the situation in Europe continues to evolve and what the timeline for some semblance of normalcy looks like.

Reaction Score
WNBA will not play this season. The administration has now forecast that more than 90,000 Americans will die by the end of July. And tens of thousands more before fall. And that's if healthcare professionals and leaders do everything "right".

No sports are going to be played this summer. I would guess that fall sports are also highly unlikely.

It's going to be that bad.

Written from Fairfield County, which Governor Lamont continues to point out to the world is part of the New York metropolitan area "hot spot."

Reaction Score
The problem is that the WNBA can't go too late into the fall because most players will be going back over to Europe where they earn most of their money. It'll be interesting to see how the situation in Europe continues to evolve and what the timeline for some semblance of normalcy looks like.

I don’t think the WNBA should be catering to other leagues. if they need to extend the season well into the fall, that’s what they should do.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It is reported that a vaccine will not be available to the public for at least 12 to 18 months. I can't see any sports for the rest of this year. Sad, sad, sad for the world to be in this situation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Me too. I predicted they would not start on time 2 weeks ago. Here’s another prediction, the NBA will resume it’s season before the W does. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
WNBA will not play this season. The administration has now forecast that more than 90,000 Americans will die by the end of July. And tens of thousands more before fall. And that's if healthcare professionals and leaders do everything "right".

No sports are going to be played this summer. I would guess that fall sports are also highly unlikely.

It's going to be that bad.

Written from Fairfield County, which Governor Lamont continues to point out to the world is part of the New York metropolitan area "hot spot."

I'm keeping an eye on what the NFL does. The Draft will be held, but with no attendees. Camps aren't that far away, although I can't imagine those will be held as normal this year. I guess college football to a smaller degree. Football is king in this country. If football seasons are cancelled, I'd agree we won't see any sports for the rest of 2020.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am not sure if she can change her mind.

Per league policy, undergrads (Megan) who declare for the draft, can pull their declaration up to 10 days prior to the draft, in this case, Tuesday April 7. Since the W may cancel the season, Megan may want to reconsider her decision to leave if she has to go Directly overseas to play. Even then, leagues there will probably have a late start If at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Per league policy, undergrads (Megan) who declare for the draft, can pull their declaration up to 10 days prior to the draft, in this case, Tuesday April 7. Since the W may cancel the season, Megan may want to reconsider her decision to leave if she has to go Directly overseas to play. Even then, leagues there will probably have a late start.
I always wondered why Megan declared so quickly given the uncertainty. If she wanted to come back, would Geno even take her? Has something like that ever happened before?

Reaction Score
I mean, has March Madness ever been cancelled entirely due to a pandemic? These are strange times. But my guess is that she is ready to move on - - provided she can do so financially. If coming back to UConn is her best financial option, I wouldn't see Geno denying her.
I just meant she could have waited longer to leave unless she didn't come to UConn to play school and wanted out A$AP. What was the incentive to declare for the WNBA draft a day or two after the tourney was canceled? It wasn't like she was trying to meet some deadline.

Reaction Score
I think Megan is gone. Even if the W doesn't have a season this year, Megan can
still make some money overseas if they play in 2021.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I just meant she could have waited longer to leave unless she didn't come to UConn to play school and wanted out A$AP. What was the incentive to declare for the WNBA draft a day or two after the tourney was canceled? It wasn't like she was trying to meet some deadline.
I believe that the WNBA rules for Juniors to declare for the draft is 48 hours after the end of the season. Since the season was declared over when the tourney was canceled she may have wanted to make sure that she was able to be drafted.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If she was certain that she was ready to move on, why delay the announcement? Some players (like Sabally) announce during the season; Megan decided to delay her announcement until the season ended. Each player decides what they're ready for and when to announce.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe that the WNBA rules for Juniors to declare for the draft is 48 hours after the end of the season. Since the season was declared over when the tourney was canceled she may have wanted to make sure that she was able to be drafted.

Naw, the deadline is ten days before the draft, or 4/07 this year.

Reaction Score
If the college football season is cancelled,Uconn will tie Alabama for best record of the season and the Uconn football program will break even for the first time in a long time Whodathunkit.:)

Plebe

Reaction Score
If the college football season is cancelled,Uconn will tie Alabama for best record of the season and the Uconn football program will break even for the first time in a long time Whodathunkit.:)
Ha the silver linings are everywhere, we just have to look!

Reaction Score
Ha the silver linings are everywhere, we just have to look!
The coach can also say that no one can deny that UConn is the best football team in the country because they have an undefeated record to prove it, but they are still deciding if they will hang a banner.

Reaction Score
According to Dawn Staley Uconn has every right to declare themselves the national champs and hang a banner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom