WNBA Prez Lisa Borders leaving her post | The Boneyard

WNBA Prez Lisa Borders leaving her post

Reaction Score
That’s nice, but how does, “...the league has grown exponentially since she took over as president” reconcile with steadily declining attendance?

Reaction Score
For me, It was a head-scratcher when they hired her from Coca-Cola. I have nothing against her as an administrator. She seems to me to be efficient, likable, and professional... but also a ladder climber. I acknowledge that the WNBA needs high level and innovative marketing, but attempting to fill that role and the President role in the same person seems a stretch. Best of luck to her and especially her successor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Speaking of her successor, I would love to see the W hire someone with extensive b-ball experience, from college, pro, men's or women's. I think they need a players President more than a highly credentialed corporate President. Someone who knows about sports competition, locker rooms, communication skills, and people skills. Perhaps, Debbie Antonelli, Rebecca Lobo, Doris Burke, or Kara Lawson?

Whom would you like to add to the list?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Apparently, she is now where she wants to be, doing what she wants to be doing. Maybe the WNBA can focus on basketball again.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
WNBA needs to hire someone who has access to people that have the dollars or connections to expand the league to 14 teams next year and then eventually up to 20 in the next 5 Years. Also needs to have influences with the Sports Networks to get all games Televised without having to resort to WNBA pass. Something needs to be done with Player Salaries but that takes money that apparently is not being created from current TV contract or attendance.

Reaction Score
Bernadette McGlade would be a great pick as well to be the next WNBA President

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
WNBA needs to hire someone who has access to people that have the dollars or connections to expand the league to 14 teams next year and then eventually up to 20 in the next 5 Years. Also needs to have influences with the Sports Networks to get all games Televised without having to resort to WNBA pass. Something needs to be done with Player Salaries but that takes money that apparently is not being created from current TV contract or attendance.

God is too busy.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
How about one or two of the NBA Stars that have recently gotten 120-190 Million Dollar Contracts pony up to buy a WNBA Franchise. ;) Put a team in Knoxville and as long as there were a couple of Lady Vol alumni on the team, they would make money. Not sure where the other team should be located. The current WNBA owners would need to hold back their greed and charge a minimal amount for Franchise rights. The league needs to expand in order to succeed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How about one or two of the NBA Stars that have recently gotten 120-190 Million Dollar Contracts pony up to buy a WNBA Franchise. ;) Put a team in Knoxville and as long as there were a couple of Lady Vol alumni on the team, they would make money. Not sure where the other team should be located. The current WNBA owners would need to hold back their greed and charge a minimal amount for Franchise rights. The league needs to expand in order to succeed.

DmlHXxVU0AA6Trz.jpg

Reaction Score
Speaking of her successor, I would love to see the W hire someone with extensive b-ball experience, from college, pro, men's or women's. I think they need a players President more than a highly credentialed corporate President. Someone who knows about sports competition, locker rooms, communication skills, and people skills. Perhaps, Debbie Antonelli, Rebecca Lobo, Doris Burke, or Kara Lawson?

Whom would you like to add to the list?

I’ll take Tamika Catchings over all on your list.

But it would be unusual for the president to not have business executive experience.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
They need a sports business and marketing wizard. I don't believe any of the ex-players/announcers fit that bill to my knowledge. Not saying she should be the next WNBA prez, but someone like the Sun's VP Amber Cox.

Reaction Score
They need a sports business and marketing wizard. I don't believe any of the ex-players/announcers fit that bill to my knowledge. Not saying she should be the next WNBA prez, but someone like the Sun's VP Amber Cox.
How about Kanye West? (Err... "Ye")

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about Amber Cox and I really don't follow the WNBA all that much, but about marketing, you're spot on. It is hard for me to believe that expanding to additional cities will cause enough more people to attend or care. An overall marketing effort would be a really good idea.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
The NY Times mentioned Catchings & Lobo, among others, as possible successors. I got the impression the reporter was just speculating.

Reaction Score
Not sure we need a great former player. Perhaps, as Mechelle Voepel suggests, the real need is for a commissioner. Perhaps a real business/marketing guru would work. I mean, look at Adam Silver at the NBA. Maybe it's all about finding a guru to go all-out for broadcast bucks, for marketing, and someone who has the credibility to deal honestly and openly with the players.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The WNBA needs an ultra successful and visionary business person to head the league. They should like basketball, but not necessarily come from a basketball background.

Reaction Score
Womens basketball as a whole has historically been far too in housey and clickish in it's past. They need to forget hiring ex players and just put who ever is best qualified for a position. The name identification things works initially but the league should have outgrown those practices. That would not disqualify ex players who were right for the job. I am sure that some might be, but they might not be the ones with the high profiles.

Reaction Score
They need to forget hiring ex players and just put who ever is best qualified for a position.

Supposedly that’s what they’ve been doing. I felt the Borders hire was a lazy one for Silver. They both sit on the Duke board of regents. How convenient and easy.

Might be time to try something different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom