WNBA Preseason Observations. | The Boneyard

WNBA Preseason Observations.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just started thread for any comments / observations of WNBA preseason games.

My 1st observation. My Liberty are a mess. Blown out by the Sun 100-66. I guess the Chinese National Team game was not a real test. Head bangHead bangHead bang

Too mad to look deeper :mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score
Sheeesh Kia’s +/- was -38. She played the fourth most minutes. Tina’s was the next worse at -31.

Among those who played >5 minutes, Han Xu’s was the best at 0.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I had another perspective on the Sun v Liberty game... LOVED IT! :p

I wouldn't advise putting too much stock in a pre-season game but the Sun looked very together most of the time. They shot a very high percentage with starters shooting over 54% from 3 (8 for 16). A nice start after a difficult off season.

Jas Thomas rolled a 300, shooting 100% from the field, 100% from 3 and 100% from the foul line - 13 points. She also lead the team with 7 rebounds.

Unlike last year, JJ is starting the season looking fit and ready. She was deadly from 3 and blocked Tina's first two shot attempts with authority.

Courtney Williams did her Courtney thing to Asia Durr rising over her and going around her while shooting 5 for 9 and handing out 7 assists. I suspect she relished the challenge of trying school the #2 pick.

Among the kids, Natisha Hiedeman was the standout. She put out more energy and got more done on both ends in her first 11 minutes than Lexie Brown did in her first 11 games. She had 7 points. Only one game in, but she could be a keeper. Our 1st rounder Kristine Anigwe looked very much like a rookie - a bit overwhelmed. Didn't get much done in her 5 minutes of play, but boxed out well a few times. Hopefully, Miller will give her more minutes tomorrow despite her "rookieness". He, like Geno keeps young players on a short leash... sometimes too short.

From the NY POV, Kia actually played very well but had little or no help. Hartley and Stokes were not there yet. That terrible +/- really wasn't due to her play. Rebecca Allen also played very well - 18 pts on 50% shooting and even managed 3 blocks. Han Xu was... tall.

Asia Durr had a rough start, but she's going to be a good WNBA player. She, Bria and Kia seem like they should be a great combo. Three talented team-oriented players.

psconn

Reaction Score
JJ highlights but the blocks weren't included. :( I wanted to see those again.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
End of one Qtr Chicago Sky 19 Indiana Fever 16
Lou has 6 points 2 of 4 shooting(2 of 3 from downtown) One rebound. one Block and one T/O. Played the whole qtr.
Dolson has 5 and Gabby has 3pts

I am reading from a box score. I cant find a live feed.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Gabby and Lou are playing the most minutes so that is something but being outscored 15-4 in Q4 after a good 3Q.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well that Sky game must have been a slog.

and I will get the extra pleasure of having the Liberty throttled by the Dream at 5PM. I am trying to see some positives in Katie Smith's coaching but everytime I see the Liberty play, we never have easy shots coming from well designed sets. Everything positive requires individual effort. I miss Lambeer.

PS. I am sure the Knicks will get the 5th pick in the draft. Head bangHead bang

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had another perspective on the Sun v Liberty game... LOVED IT! :p

Among the kids, Natisha Hiedeman was the standout. She put out more energy and got more done on both ends in her first 11 minutes than Lexie Brown did in her first 11 games. She had 7 points. Only one game in, but she could be a keeper. Our 1st rounder Kristine Anigwe looked very much like a rookie - a bit overwhelmed. Didn't get much done in her 5 minutes of play, but boxed out well a few times. Hopefully, Miller will give her more minutes tomorrow despite her "rookieness". He, like Geno keeps young players on a short leash... sometimes too short.

comeonman.png

Reaction Score
@psconn thanks for the scoop on the Sun's preseason game yesterday! Glad to hear about Hiedeman. How about Carleton or Holmes? It'd be great to have a reliable 3 and D backup for Strick.

Any guesses about the final Sun roster? Something like this maybe?

J.Thomas/Clarendon/Hiedeman
Williams/Banham
Stricklen/Holmes or Carleton?
A.Thomas/Tuck
J.Jones/B.Jones/Anigwe

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Liberty lose 92-87

Tina Charles only played 6 ' in Q1 and was not in foul trouble. I hope this is not an injury issue????

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
WNBA.com had Dallas vs Sun at 7PM today Mohegun Sun but no sign the game is occuring. :confused::confused::confused:

psconn

Reaction Score
@psconn thanks for the scoop on the Sun's preseason game yesterday! Glad to hear about Hiedeman. How about Carleton or Holmes? It'd be great to have a reliable 3 and D backup for Strick.

Any guesses about the final Sun roster? Something like this maybe?

J.Thomas/Clarendon/Hiedeman
Williams/Banham
Stricklen/Holmes or Carleton?
A.Thomas/Tuck
J.Jones/B.Jones/Anigwe
My guess is everyone on your list except Carleton.

psconn

Reaction Score
Liberty lose 92-87

Tina Charles only played 6 ' in Q1 and was not in foul trouble. I hope this is not an injury issue????
Tina tends to take it very easy minutes-wise in the preseason. She's fine as far as I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom