WNBA News | The Boneyard

WNBA News

Reaction Score

Wonder if perhaps the Sparks will move on from Williams. Certainly Toliver brings an entirely different reputation with her. Of course the age difference is of some concern as well as Toliver's ability to stay on the court.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big additions for LA and Vegas. Both teams have championship caliber rosters. How the Fisher/CP3 situation gets resolved remains to be seen.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
seemed inevitable that the Sparks would unload one of their bigs given that they have Ogwumike x2 + CP + Vadeeva (who I think will grow into a big asset for them). Though I gotta say, trading for Toliver AND Sykes suggests they either don't think they can keep Gray, or, perhaps more probably, they are getting ready to let go of Williams.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seems like the Sparks are adding a fair bit of scoring punch on the perimeter. Brown couldn't find many minutes in the rotation, I would think same fate is in store for Gulich (unless they move somebody else).

Remains to be see how much McCoughtry has left in the tank, but that could be a big addition for the Aces.

If Seattle adds Tuck, does that mean Langhorne or Paris is gone? Is she healthy? How many UConn players can they possibly fit on their roster?

Reaction Score
Seems like the Sparks are adding a fair bit of scoring punch on the perimeter. Brown couldn't find many minutes in the rotation, I would think same fate is in store for Gulich (unless they move somebody else).

Remains to be see how much McCoughtry has left in the tank, but that could be a big addition for the Aces.

If Seattle adds Tuck, does that mean Langhorne or Paris is gone? Is she healthy? How many UConn players can they possibly fit on their roster?
They also have Ezi Magbegor, coming this year, so don't expect Paris back.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure, is Tuck considered more of a post or a small forward? Saw speculation elsewhere that trading for her might indicate KML will be on the way out.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This quote from Mike Thibault from the Tolliver article caught my attention.

"Even with the salary cap increase, Thibault believes the new labor deal could make teams skew top-heavy, with a few big talents anchoring each team.

“You’re not going to see teams that have nine or 10 long-term, veteran players on them. It just is not going to happen. They’ll be [top-heavy] or top and bottom and not a lot in the middle,” Thibault said. “The biggest fallacy in all of this new collective bargaining agreement is that the cap went up 31 percent. The reality is, if you pay two players, your top players, in the range of the individual max, which went up 85 percent, the reality is paying the rest of your team is not at that 31 percent raise. A few people get that, and a few people don’t get that. Managing that is going to be interesting for several teams.”

Would not be surprised to see a lot of players -- such as Ms. Tuck -- headed elsewhere for what, at first, does not appear to be that much in return. Teams could be getting what they can to use funds for their very top players. And they'll fill out rosters with newer players on their first contracts.

Stay tuned....

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Angel McCoughtry, who has a strong personality, is a 'My Shot' type player.
Is she willing to play second and third fiddle to her new teammates?
We'll soon find out.

Reaction Score
Great to see someone in Dallas woke up in time to sign Gustafson and a non rebounding Samuelson. Or was she the rebounding one? I forget.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We'll soon find out.

She's done well on the Olympics playing a smaller role. I'm guessing coming into Vegas with big personalities (Aja and Liz) her role was discussed prior. Vegas is loaded but has some big questions regarding:
1. PG play....does Plum or Young get the reigns this year?
2. Can Wilson/Cambage complement each other inside?

LA too is in somewhat of a similar predicament, but I have no idea how the Parker/Fisher combination will work if both are back.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We'll soon find out.

Geno loves Angel. She brings (or at least brought) alot of intangibles and defensive effort. I think she can fit in just fine. Still, when your best player is a show me attention seeking crybaby, I do not see them ever winning a WNBA championship.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Are there enough basketballs to go around in Las Vegas? My gosh.
We'll soon find out.

“She is an elite level scorer who loves to attack the basket, and is also one of the best defenders in the league. When she steps on the court, we immediately become a stronger team on both ends of the floor out on the perimeter." So says Bill Laimbeer of the signing.

Getting to be a bit of log jam out there on the perimeter with Angel, K-Mac, Tamara Young and whomever does not play point guard (Plum or Jackie Young). Dearica Hamby will probably be spelling A'ja Wilson and Liz Cambage.

Must be some dissatisfaction with what he's seen because this flies in the face of "less is more." My gut after last season was to let Plum take the PG role and let Jackie Young, who can play bigger, go back to the wing role she largely filled while at ND. So much for that.

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Curious to see what Phoenix does with the picks and cap space. Obviously Diggins-Smith is in play. But everyone loves fake trades (and most love UConn)...

#7 and #10 for Katie Lou? Would Chicago be willing to get out of a draft pick that made no sense last year? And just to make it more UConn crazy, use #5 on Crystal? Play Brianna Turner more and try spacing the floor with DT, Crystal, Lou, and Sophie Cunningham?

Still doubt it could happen but maybe go after Chelsea Gray in a sign and trade?

Reaction Score
Curious to see what Phoenix does with the picks and cap space. Obviously Diggins-Smith is in play. But everyone loves fake trades (and most love UConn)...

#7 and #10 for Katie Lou? Would Chicago be willing to get out of a draft pick that made no sense last year? And just to make it more UConn crazy, use #5 on Crystal? Play Brianna Turner more and try spacing the floor with DT, Crystal, Lou, and Sophie Cunningham?

Still doubt it could happen but maybe go after Chelsea Gray in a sign and trade?
Pick #5 is a little high for Crystal but in the WNBA you can get away with it. The Mystics are famous for drafting people later than projected in the draft. (see Ariel Atkins, Kiara Leslie). But if Phoenix really likes Dangerfield, they should draft her.

I'm really curious where Skylar Diggins-Smith ends up.

Reaction Score
Probably true about Crystal. I could see them going after Chennedy Carter or Alarie or Hebard. Heck, I’d a few underclassmen come out Crystal could be available at #10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom