• Mercedes Russell

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Odyssey Sims

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As a complement to ROY (MVP seems to be in the bag EDD), MIP seems to be pretty competative.

Article below by Michelle Smith has 7 candidates (Kia Nurse is one) and I have decided to turn this into a poll.

Kia Nurse made her top 7 but not her final 2. Here is her analysis

Kia Nurse, New York

2018 Stats: 9.1 ppg, 29.4 3P%
2019 Stats: 14.3 ppg, 35.0 3P%

The case to be made: In her second WNBA season, Nurse has established herself as a reliable scoring option to complement Tina Charles in New York. Nurse started just seven games last year as a rookie out of UConn, but has been in the starting lineup for every Liberty game this season. Nurse, who won two NCAA titles at Connecticut, has seven 20-point scoring game this season, including her latest effort, a 24-point effort on Aug. 25 against Washington that included a career-high six three-pointers. And she ranks among the league’s top free-throw shooters. After a strong start to the season, Nurse had tailed off offensively until her breakout against the Fever on August 20. She’d love to finish this season the way she started, with an offensive flourish.

Inside The W with Michelle Smith: Most Improved Player Candidates - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mercedes Russell went from a scarcely used rookie last year to a competent starter this year to help keep her team afloat through much injury adversity. That’s the biggest contrast to me.

the 0 * Infinity = # argument. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Mercedes Russell has in one season completely transformed my perception of her capabilities. There are several deserving runners-up and honorable mentions but Mercedes gets the cake.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think Hamby picks up 6th woman award, so this likely goes elsewhere (my bet would be Mitchell)

Reaction Score
I think Hamby picks up 6th woman award, so this likely goes elsewhere (my bet would be Mitchell)
I thought Aerial Powers was going to win 6th player of the year. But since she is starting for the injured Toliver, Hamby will probably win it.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Leilani Mitchell has scored in double figures in 12 of the past 13 games and is averaging 13.8 points, up from 4.4 in 2018. Her assists are up from 2.3 pg to 4.1, rebounds from 1.4 to 3.3, field goal percentage from 35.1 to 45.7 and 3-point percentage from 34.1 to 45.0 (third-best in the league through Tuesday).

Reaction Score
Is this award meant to be year over year or who has improved the most taking into account years prior? I ask because Mitchell averaged decent numbers her first couple of years with New York and then found less success with Phoenix until this year.

Reaction Score
Is this award meant to be year over year or who has improved the most taking into account years prior? I ask because Mitchell averaged decent numbers her first couple of years with New York and then found less success with Phoenix until this year.

Not only was she decent early on in her career, she already won this award in 2010. Winning this award twice in a career would be an odd and unnecessary precedence. To me MIP is meant as a breakthrough award for a younger player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not only was she decent early on in her career, she already won this award in 2010. Winning this award twice in a career would be an odd and unnecessary precedence. To me MIP is meant as a breakthrough award for a younger player.

Good point. Should probably have 2 awards to take care of the different cases

MIP for new players and Comeback player of the year to handle more established players reversing a bad season. I imagine that award would be dominated by players coming off season ending injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom