WNBA Finals Mercury vs the Sky - pregame | The Boneyard

WNBA Finals Mercury vs the Sky - pregame

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Couple of good articles in espn.com about the upcoming series, one from two days ago LINK
And the second from today LINK

"BG versus Big Syl. The UConn legend versus the Husky-who-might-have-been. The heavy favorites versus the refuse-to-succumb underdogs. The Valley of the Sun versus the Windy City.

That's the WNBA Finals matchup: West winner Phoenix, led by Brittney Griner and Diana Taurasi, versus East winner Chicago, led by Sylvia Fowles and Elena Delle Donne."

What has gone before

"The Mercury won both regular-season meetings with Chicago: 87-69 on July 2 in Phoenix, and 72-66 on July 11 in Chicago. Delle Donne didn't play in either of those games; she missed most of June and July dealing with the effects of a flare-up of Lyme disease."

The tale of two centers

“Other than an off game in the Mercury's playoff opener against Los Angeles, 6-foot-8 Griner has been pretty much unstoppable when she has the ball so far this postseason. But now she'll be going against another true center who has the size, talent and experience to potentially slow Griner” 6-foot-6 Sylvia Fowles

The Superstars

Chicago - Delle Donne:

"Her back problems limited her against Indiana; she played just more than 20 minutes in Game 3. If she can make progress healthwise by Sunday's Game 1, she's clearly one of the marquee players in the WNBA Finals."

Phoenix – Diana Taurasi:

"Ultimately, the pivotal figure in this series might be Taurasi, the runner-up to Minnesota's Maya Moore as the league MVP this year and one of the most accomplished players in women's basketball history.
…Her performance in Game 3 of the West finals against Minnesota on Tuesday was a Taurasi tour de force.”

And a wry prediction for the outcome:

Congratulations to the Chicago Sky on making the franchise's first appearance in the WNBA Finals! Now just follow us this way off stage as we present you some lovely consolation prizes ...
Yeah, that's probably how it feels to the Sky and their fans as they enter the championship series against Phoenix as heavy-duty underdogs."

ouch...yet likely true.

Here is the schedule:
Sunday, Sept. 7Game 1: WNBA Finals, Chicago at Phoenix at 3:30 p.m. (ABC)
Tuesday, Sept. 9Game 2: WNBA Finals, Chicago at Phoenix at 9 p.m. (ESPN)
Friday, Sept. 12Game 3: WNBA Finals, Phoenix at Chicago at 8 p.m. (ESPN2)
Sunday, Sept. 14Game 4*: WNBA Finals, Phoenix at Chicago at 4:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Wednesday, Sept. 17Game 5*: WNBA Finals, Chicago at Phoenix at 9 p.m. (ESPN2)

*If necessary

and in other news, the UConn football team beat Stony Brooke today for their first win of the season

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Got to say that the WNBA has sure stretched this finals series out 2 days between non-travel games and 3 days for travel games. Add in the four days before the series starts means that all the USA basketball players on the two teams are missing most of the training camp.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Got to say that the WNBA has sure stretched this finals series out 2 days between non-travel games and 3 days for travel games. Add in the four days before the series starts means that all the USA basketball players on the two teams are missing most of the training camp.
It's "NBA" like. Not surprisingly. I think part of it is to ensure that players are well rested and put on a good showing. It's actually only 1 day between games, and 2 for the travel. So basically, players have one day "off" between every game to regain their strength.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
there is a game on the 15th against Canada (USA Basketball), if this series stretches to 5 games or even four there are folks such as Dee who are going to miss in addition to training which I will regret because I have tickets to that game

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Not an accident that games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday do not compete with NFL games on Monday or Thursday. Sunday games are risky (on TV, competing with NFL) but not really avoidable.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
Not an accident that games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday do not compete with NFL games on Monday or Thursday. Sunday games are risky (on TV, competing with NFL) but not really avoidable.

makes sense to me. it is for very selfish reasons that I want Phoenix in three.

Reaction Score
there is a game on the 15th against Canada (USA Basketball), if this series stretches to 5 games or even four there are folks such as Dee who are going to miss in addition to training which I will regret because I have tickets to that game
I'm thinking playoffs will be over and they will be available for that game, not sure they would play though, if they have to play a game 4 on the 12th...?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
I'm thinking playoffs will be over and they will be available for that game, not sure they would play though, if they have to play a game 4 on the 12th...?

My point exactly which is why I want Phoenix in 3

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
BTW - please have a game thread...I may have to leave to go out even before it starts...I will miss the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom