WNBA final: Wings 80 - Fever 75 Chong DNP | The Boneyard

WNBA final: Wings 80 - Fever 75 Chong DNP

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
INDIANAPOLIS — Rookie Kaela Davis came off the bench to lead the Dallas Wings with 14 points, and Skylar Diggins-Smith added 13 as the Wings used a second-half surge to hold off the Indiana Fever, 80-75, in WNBA preseason play at College Park Center.

[Game recap - photos & box score]

She was probably attending UConn's graduation commencement ceremonies today which would explain her absence.

HGN

Reaction Score
INDIANAPOLIS — Rookie Kaela Davis came off the bench to lead the Dallas Wings with 14 points, and Skylar Diggins-Smith added 13 as the Wings used a second-half surge to hold off the Indiana Fever, 80-75, in WNBA preseason play at College Park Center.

[Game recap - photos & box score]

She was probably attending UConn's graduation commencement ceremonies today which would explain her absence.
Saniya's DNP , whether caused by coach decision or because she was at graduation , cannot be good for Saniya.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Saniya's DNP , whether caused by coach decision or because she was at graduation , cannot be good for Saniya.

I would hope that there is not a coach in the W that would deny or hold it against any player that chooses to attend their college graduation services, over playing in a preseason game. That would be extremely selfish, unprofessional, and short-sighted. All of the coaches are college graduates, and no doubt attended their graduation ceremonies. It's the culmination of 4 years of study, sacrifice and hard work.

Not only do you want to participate in the commencement program with your classmates, you also want to give your family the opportunity to see you take that walk across the stage that they have been anticipating for years. You've got the rest of your life to work. You only graduate from college once. What would it do to the morale of the team if a coach refused (or held it against them) to allow players to attend their graduation?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why?
To attend the college graduation day is a once of life chance. I don't see why it will be no good for Saniya.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Why?
To attend the college graduation day is a once of life chance. I don't see why it will be no good for Saniya.
Because you only have such limited time to make an impression on a WNBA coach and staff if you are borderline - Breanna could have missed the whole preseason last year or this and not have to worry - but Saniya is fighting among probably 5 players for a roster spot in her first year and she probably missed not just the game but a practice or even two getting to graduation (if that is in fact where she was) and that gave more exposure to the other players trying for that last roster spot.

That it would mean something very special for her to be in the graduation ceremony is obvious, that it is not the best career move is also pretty clear - the coach and staff wouldn't 'hold it against her', but she also wasn't there in front of them for two days - same with having a nagging injury that might keep a player out of a couple of days.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are a couple other possibilities relative to Saniya's DNP. One is a possible injury. The second is that Dallas has already made a determination as to her status. I hope I'm incorrect on both counts.

HGN

Reaction Score
Because you only have such limited time to make an impression on a WNBA coach and staff if you are borderline - Breanna could have missed the whole preseason last year or this and not have to worry - but Saniya is fighting among probably 5 players for a roster spot in her first year and she probably missed not just the game but a practice or even two getting to graduation (if that is in fact where she was) and that gave more exposure to the other players trying for that last roster spot.

That it would mean something very special for her to be in the graduation ceremony is obvious, that it is not the best career move is also pretty clear - the coach and staff wouldn't 'hold it against her', but she also wasn't there in front of them for two days - same with having a nagging injury that might keep a player out of a couple of days.
I couldn't have said it better myself.....Obviously she wanted to attend her graduation. Timing just may not have been good for her basketball wise.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The other thing I didn't mention above ... their are no cameras filming and broadcasting practices and no outsiders seeing what is happening, so the preseason games are not just for her own coaches, but they serve as auditions for the other 11 teams, some of whom may be short of or unhappy with their PG depth.

Reaction Score
The other thing I didn't mention above ... their are no cameras filming and broadcasting practices and no outsiders seeing what is happening, so the preseason games are not just for her own coaches, but they serve as auditions for the other 11 teams, some of whom may be short of or unhappy with their PG depth.

It also helped her. By not being there, she could not mess up. If you look at the box score, a couple of her competition for a roster spot didn't fare so well. One went 1-7 in 18 minutes while another 1-4. They obviously didn't help themselves while Saniya wasn't there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom