WNBA Draft Tonight 04/13/ at 7PM ESPN2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Tonight 04/13/ at 7PM ESPN2

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just a reminder for those interested in the WNBA. The draft begins tonight at 7PM on ESPN2 with later rounds (2-3) on ESPNU. Plenty of the latest mock drafts going around with Michelle Voeppel's the latest.

Mock draft: Predicting the WNBA draft's first round

Her comments on Conn Sun's 1st rounder seems pretty depressing.

Is any team with a first-round pick less enthusiastic about the draft than the Sun? Coach/GM Curt Miller has sounded pretty lukewarm about everyone not named Plum or Coates, and they're not falling this far. Former No. 1 pick Chiney Ogwumike is expected to miss the season with an Achilles injury. The Sun acquired forward Lynetta Kizer, but they might look to another Terp for more interior help. Jones put up huge numbers at Maryland, averaging 19.9 points and 10.9 rebounds while shooting 69 percent this season. There's some wariness, though, about her ceiling going forward.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I should be excited as the Sky have two 1st round picks. But this is a really underwhelming draft. Beyond Plum, it's hard to identify all that many potential impact players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I should be excited as the Sky have two 1st round picks. But this is a really underwhelming draft. Beyond Plum, it's hard to identify all that many potential impact players.
I don't see any Stewies, Moriahs, Jewells, Nnekas, or Tinas in this draft. And I certainly don't see any Mayas.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Few impact players indeed. Most of the young ladies selected in the first round will probably make their team's cut, but be relegated to bench duty, only seeing the floor in garbage time, or warm ups. Few second round players make the cut. It is extremely rare that a third round selection stick.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Will there be a crowd at the draft tonight? I think i read its gonna be at the WNBA headquarters

I have no wariness about Jones because her ceiling is the roof!

Indeed

Theceilingistheroofig.jpg

Reaction Score
Brionna Jones would be an excellent pickup for the Sun, but I doubt she'll drop that far. She's a big strong woman and her numbers have been very good. Size and athleticism like hers go a long way in the pros.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
SWK sounds like what the sun really needs.

I wouldn't take another big just cause their best player OFY. Then you just deal with a glut next year.

That said, if Jones is there, she's probably BPA. She's an absolutely load and super efficient offensively.

It sounds like they're working to trade out. Or up, but I'd guess out.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on Michele's Sun comments:
1) Its very odd to say the Coach Miller is unenthusiastic about the draft... you don't need to spend much time around him to surmise that he's enthusiastic about every opportunity to make his team better, and this is one of them. I have no idea what the Sun will do tonight but I suspect some wheeling and dealing is at least being attempted.
2) The 12 person roster is extremely limiting. Here is the current 15 player roster, the Sun will add up to 3 tonight but then will have to cut 6 to get to 12 by the start of the season. This math limits player development opportunities and generally (with some notable exceptions) reduces the value of 2nd and 3rd rounders. Teams have no more than 3 weeks from opening of training camp to final roster cuts.

Danielle Adams
Rachel Banham
Alex Bentley
Kelly Faris
Reshanda Gray
Jennifer Hamson
Jonquel Jones
Lynetta Kizer
Chiney Ogwumike
Kayla Pedersen
Shekinna Stricklen
Alyssa Thomas
Jasmine Thomas
Morgan Tuck
Courtney Williams

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So Plum goes #1. Who is next? Chicago has the #2 pick...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Plum #1. Stars may ultimately trade her since there may just be too much overlap between Moriah and Kelsey in what they do. Lobo thinks that will happen. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Plum #1. Stars may ultimately trade her since there may just be too much overlap between Moriah and Kelsey in what they do. Lobo thinks that will happen. :rolleyes:
Makes sense. If you have the top pick, might as well pick the best player. If you don't need her, maybe you can trade for a couple of other players instead of just choosing 1 "other " person with the top pick...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Ha!! I was right. I felt like Akhator would go in first round!!! I think she can be great.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure about Akhator. Her offense needs alot of improvement to go to the next level. Gray is a good pick imho.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ruth Riley going with the story that there will be no trades. :rolleyes: Coffey is a good pick and I think she will be a good player with McBride being a more outside threat with coffey doing more damage inside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom