WNBA Draft Lottery: Las Vegas #1 pick | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Lottery: Las Vegas #1 pick

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wilson and a Bon Bon?
Sue says that A'ja will be a beast. She's still not a great shooter or smooth with her left hand, but she is big, strong, and fairly mobile.

Reaction Score
Sue says that A'ja will be a beast. She's still not a great shooter or smooth with her left hand, but she is big, strong, and fairly mobile.

She's the best of a not so great lot.........although Baylor's Brown may be the more dominant player in the end......just never really loved her somewhat one dimensional offensive game..........she made a major mistake in not choosing UConn...........there's no way she would be leaving Storrs as a one handed player..............

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wilson is likely to go #1 but after that it could get tricky.

ESPN had Wilson, Mitchell, Gabby Williams, Victoria Vivian’s, and Jordan Canada listed.

But my gosh—what about Diamond DeShields, Monique Billings, Mercedes Russell, or Jaime Nared. Lots of talent A truly deep draft.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
If Kenny Kallina accidentally fell down a well would you save him? Or leave him down there and hope he doesn't come back like that girl in the movie The Ring?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This will be one of if not the best draft ever. The talent is certainly there. I think a lot of teams can upgrade their rosters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was the lottery conducted in public or was this another drawing held "behind closed doors"?

Will Atlanta pick their home-state woman and if so can she get along with Angel?

Reaction Score
Was the lottery conducted in public or was this another drawing held "behind closed doors"?

Not in public but the results are verified by the accounting firm of Ernst & Young.

Will Atlanta pick their home-state woman and if so can she get along with Angel?

Atlanta doesn't have a first round pick for the next draft. They traded it to Chicago for mid-season acquisition of Imani Boyette and Tamera Young.

Reaction Score
This will be one of if not the best draft ever. The talent is certainly there. I think a lot of teams can upgrade their rosters.

Hmmm.... you must like the thought of 3 Tennessee players being taken in the first round. It's certainly a deep draft. I anticipate all 12 teams being happy with their first round picks.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Hmmm.... you must like the thought of 3 Tennessee players being taken in the first round. It's certainly a deep draft. I anticipate all 12 teams being happy with their first round picks.
Yes I do. I think all three should go in first round. I was talking about the whole draft.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is the deepest draft class in over a decade. Lots of really really good players out there who should be able to stick around for a few years in the pros. Looking at the order, I would expect the first round to be:
1. Las Vegas-Wilson
2. Indiana-Deshields
3. Chicago-Mitchell
4. Chicago-Williams
5. Seattle-Brown
6. Dallas-Russell
7. Washington-Canada
8. Phoenix-Billings
9. Connecticut-Nared
10. New York-Mavunga
11. LA-Nurse
12. Minnesota-Scaife

I think every one of these players could make a long career for themselves in the pros. Many players in the 2nd round could stick, too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is the deepest draft class in over a decade. Lots of really really good players out there who should be able to stick around for a few years in the pros. Looking at the order, I would expect the first round to be:
1. Las Vegas-Wilson
2. Indiana-Deshields
3. Chicago-Mitchell
4. Chicago-Williams
5. Seattle-Brown
6. Dallas-Russell
7. Washington-Canada
8. Phoenix-Billings
9. Connecticut-Nared
10. New York-Mavunga
11. LA-Nurse
12. Minnesota-Scaife

I think every one of these players could make a long career for themselves in the pros. Many players in the 2nd round could stick, too.
Shakayla Thomas won't last pass the top 10 picks.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Shakayla Thomas won't last pass the top 10 picks.

We'll see with her. She's a great athlete and is incredibly strong but she's really an undersized post without a rounded game. She doesn't have a good perimeter jumper, she isn't a facilitator for others, and she isn't a standout rebounder or defender. I think she'll be passed over for players who may not be as good, but are better sized for their respective positions.

Reaction Score
1. Las Vegas-Wilson
2. Indiana-Deshields
3. Chicago-Mitchell
4. Chicago-Williams
5. Seattle-Brown
6. Dallas-Russell
7. Washington-Canada
8. Phoenix-Billings
9. Connecticut-Nared
10. New York-Mavunga
11. LA-Nurse
12. Minnesota-Scaife

As of now, I agree with your Top 4. It'd be a nice day for Chicago to pick up both Mitchell and Williams after being the losers in the lottery.

When you get to the bottom if the first round, I could see the Sparks taking a prominent foreign player, and in that case, the Lynx might scoop up Nurse to replace Perkins on their squad. If not, then the Lynx could scoop up that foreign player.... namely, Vadeeva from Russia. Mechelle Voepel is talking like Vadeeva could be a lottery pick, but I think that's a bit exuberant at this point not even knowing if she wants to play in the WNBA.

I don't see Scaife as a first rounder, but she's welcome to prove me wrong. I have my doubts about Mavunga too.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Was hoping Chicago would win the lottery but it's not a bad year to lose it. Barring injuries, Chicago is getting two of A. Wilson, G. Williams, K. Mitchell, and DeShields. Not too bad at all.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wilson and a Bon Bon?

This franchise drafted poorly last year in taking Kelsey Plum, with the intent of using her for "trade bait", then getting stuck with her when they could not find any takers. They clearly had a need for a post player, they still do. Wilson at 6'5", is by far the "crown jewel" of the 2018 draft, and would fit a glaring need for the Las Vegas franchise.

If they don't take her, they'll have nothing to complain about later if they don't improve on their league worst 8-26 record from this past season. They should try and send Plum home to Seattle (they would probably like to have her, and she would probably like to go) for the best deal they can make. They didn't need another guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
1. Las Vegas-Wilson
2. Indiana-Deshields
3. Chicago-Mitchell
4. Chicago-Williams
5. Seattle-Brown
6. Dallas-Russell
7. Washington-Canada
8. Phoenix-Billings
9. Connecticut-Nared
10. New York-Mavunga
11. LA-Nurse
12. Minnesota-Scaife

I like your selections. But I don't think Diamond will go as high as number 2.

Carnac

Reaction Score
1. Las Vegas-Wilson
2. Indiana-Deshields
3. Chicago-Mitchell
4. Chicago-Williams
5. Seattle-Brown
6. Dallas-Russell
7. Washington-Canada
8. Phoenix-Billings
9. Connecticut-Nared
10. New York-Mavunga
11. LA-Nurse
12. Minnesota-Scaife

I agree with shades, while I like Tyler Scaife (Rutgers), I'm not sure she's a first rounder, but she's welcome to prove me wrong too. I'll reserve my thoughts about Mavunga as well. She looked real good against Stanford. Let's see how she does against other top ranked programs this year. 26 rebounds in a game should not be ignored or dismissed.

I'd take Williams, Canada, Billings, Nared and maybe Mavunga before I'd take DeShields. Old prior perceptions are hard to forget/dismiss. DeShields was perceived by some as a drama queen. This may be an unfair observation, we'll see. How she does overseas this winter may change the opinions of some GM's. :rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This franchise drafted poorly last year in taking Kelsey Plum, with the intent of using her for "trade bait", then getting stuck with her when they could not find any takers. They clearly had a need for a post player, they still do. Wilson at 6'5", is by far the "crown jewel" of the 2018 draft, and would fit a glaring need for the Las Vegas franchise.

The only problem was that there were no viable post players. The available posts were Alaina Coates (injured, has yet to play) and Brionna Jones (did nothing as a rookie).

With perfect hindsight, you could say they maybe should have drafted Gray. I don't think there were many saying Gray was a better prospect than Plum at the time. Besides, It takes many WNBA players a year to adjust (e.g. Skylar Diggins). Plum may end up being quite good yet.

They should obviously take Wilson, I agree, but I don't think it has anything to do with Plum or rectifying any mistake they made in taking her.

Reaction Score
getting stuck with her when they could not find any takers.

They had offers but probably got too greedy. Looking back, should they have accepted #6 in 2017 + #7 in #2018 for Plum? Or how about #3 & #10 in 2017?

They should try and send Plum home to Seattle (they would probably like to have her, and she would probably like to go) for the best deal they can make. They didn't need another guard.

Her actual home is a suburb of San Diego, so the Sparks would be the closest. Las Vegas isn't too bad for her in that regard. She seems happy about the move.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The only problem was that there were no viable post players. The available posts were Alaina Coates (injured, has yet to play) and Brionna Jones (did nothing as a rookie).

With perfect hindsight, you could say they maybe should have drafted Gray. I don't think there were many saying Gray was a better prospect than Plum at the time. Besides, It takes many WNBA players a year to adjust (e.g. Skylar Diggins). Plum may end up being quite good yet.

They should obviously take Wilson, I agree, but I don't think it has anything to do with Plum or rectifying any mistake they made in taking her.

Coates did not impress me as being a serviceable post player in the W other than as a reserve. I thought Jones would make a bigger splash than she did. Maybe a change of venue would benefit her as it did for Courtney Williams (USF) when she was cut by the Mercury, then picked up by the Connecticut Sun where she became a starter and has thrived.

Agreed that no one saw Gray having a "rookie of the year" type season. Some coaches and GM's have a better eye for potential than others. The Wings saw something in her like they did in Chong. I'm very happy for her by the way. I liked Gray when she was at North Carolina.

They can't rectify last year's mistake. That ship has sailed. They can only endeavor to insure they don't make one this year. It's my opinion that with Jefferson and McBride in their back court, Plum is a third wheel they really don't need, I could be wrong. We'll see what the new regime does with the holdovers under contract from last year's roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I hope Mercedes goes to LA. So she can team with Parker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom