WNBA draft and social distancing. | The Boneyard

WNBA draft and social distancing.

Reaction Score
We are watching now and we are very surprised how many people the players have packed into their homes to celebrate with them.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So if you have a household that consists of one or two or even three generations, and all have been asked to stay at home, what is your idea of social distancing?

To many, social distancing is for when you are out in public and near people that you don't know.

Caveat: I don't live in a big city and in my county, only 10 cases have been cited by the Health Department with no deaths, so I guess whatever we are doing is working.

Reaction Score
I live in the NYC metro area where social distancing must be taken seriously. Family members can be COVID-19+ and show no symptoms, and yet pass the virus on. My two daughters who live nearby will only communicate with my wife and I wearing gloves and a mask with a minimum of a six-foot distance between us. This is how serious it is here, folks, Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. My wife and I were shocked to see large gatherings of family members during the draft. I understand Centerstream's point if family members already reside in a household, so I'm not being critical in that regard. But I would say that if you invited three generations of family members into your house to watch the draft, as exciting as it may be, you are putting everyone in your home at that time at risk. Sorry if this sounds harsh but this is the world we live in now. Hopefully temporarily.

Reaction Score
I live in the NYC metro area where social distancing must be taken seriously. Family members can be COVID-19+ and show no symptoms, and yet pass the virus on. My two daughters who live nearby will only communicate with my wife and I wearing gloves and a mask with a minimum of a six-foot distance between us. This is how serious it is here, folks, Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. My wife and I were shocked to see large gatherings of family members during the draft. I understand Centerstream's point if family members already reside in a household, so I'm not being critical in that regard. But I would say that if you invited three generations of family members into your house to watch the draft, as exciting as it may be, you are putting everyone in your home at that time at risk. Sorry if this sounds harsh but this is the world we live in now. Hopefully temporarily.
Well put; I can only imagine what the parties will look like for the players during the NFL draft next week.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We are watching now and we are very surprised how many people the players have packed into their homes to celebrate with them.
I had the same feeling when I watched the draft. I was also a little jealous. My wife and I are hunkered down, unable to see our son, his wife and our 2-yr old grandson other than via FaceTime.

Reaction Score
I had the same feeling when I watched the draft. I was also a little jealous. My wife and I are hunkered down, unable to see our son, his wife and our 2-yr old grandson other than via FaceTime.
We felt the same way. We haven't seen our kids or grandkids, other than facetime, for five weeks.

Reaction Score
To those of you who responded to this thread: So many or you sound like smart and socially responsible folks. Am pausing here for a sec to send a prayer your way asking that you will stay well. Done. ( I don't pray a whole lot as I try not to bother our Higher Power; my theory being that I'm more likely to get a good response if I'm not clogging up the lines of communication....though my wife doesn't see it that way. )

Reaction Score
I am in the same boat, hell isn’t it.

Reaction Score
We've managed family gatherings via webcam by using Zoom. Celebrated my mom's 93rd birthday that way with over 20 relatives on board at once. She was thrilled. The camera cost me close to $200 thanks to some on-line price-gouging but it was well worth it for reasons such as this. We're separate but together. It's very sad but it's what we've got (social-distancing, masks, and gloves, etc.) if we want to protect ourselves and our loved ones. It's also a sacrifice we need to make to protect those on the front-lines, essential workers and healthcare workers. I do, however, have sympathy for those who are unemployed and struggling to feed their families. I don't like the stay-at-home protests, but I do understand why they happen. I also find it interesting that these protests are not occurring in the NYC tri-state area, which has been hit the hardest in the entire world if you believe the numbers. Anyway, this whole situation is bigger than politics, which should have no place in this discussion; it's about humanity. Best wishes and safety to all on this board and others. I do believe we'll get though this if simply because it has brought out much more of the best that mankind has to offer than the worst.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
So if you have a household that consists of one or two or even three generations, and all have been asked to stay at home, what is your idea of social distancing?

To many, social distancing is for when you are out in public and near people that you don't know.

Caveat: I don't live in a big city and in my county, only 10 cases have been cited by the Health Department with no deaths, so I guess whatever we are doing is working.
all those people do NOT live in the same home, dont fool yourself

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
all those people do NOT live in the same home, dont fool yourself
At least Sue Semrau certainly doesn't - she was seen in a shot at the Florida State player's house. Looked like a real party.

Last night, I had to pick up my mother-in-law from the emergency room (her assisted living sent her for what turned out to be nothing) and drop her back at her assisted living. I had to pick up my Sister-In-Law to go with me ("her" mother, as my wife can't go due to immunosuppression).

I'm going to be honest - the hospital didn't bother me, 2 masked nurses wheeled her out and helped her into the car. The assisted living didn't bother me because a care giver came out in mask and gloves with Mom's chair and got her into it. The facility allows no visitors and has had no cases; residents eat in their rooms and must wear masks while in the public spaces. Obviously they can't control the independent living folks when they are not there, but we don't really have (comparatively) a lot of cases here in Tucson, and I'm pretty sure the MIL is in her room anyhow.

What bothered me - my sister in law hops into the car - no mask, but I brought one for her. Her son works in a grocery store and she really doesn't seem to appreciate the issue (she is temporarily working from home, for a call center). Totally took a shower when I got home, was yucked out.

The kicker - my mother-in-law who doesn't like company for more than 5 minutes in the best of times, asked why we were not able to visit her. I have no words.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
At least Sue Semrau certainly doesn't - she was seen in a shot at the Florida State player's house. Looked like a real party.

Last night, I had to pick up my mother-in-law from the emergency room (her assisted living sent her for what turned out to be nothing) and drop her back at her assisted living. I had to pick up my Sister-In-Law to go with me ("her" mother, as my wife can't go due to immunosuppression).

I'm going to be honest - the hospital didn't bother me, 2 masked nurses wheeled her out and helped her into the car. The assisted living didn't bother me because a care giver came out in mask and gloves with Mom's chair and got her into it. The facility allows no visitors and has had no cases; residents eat in their rooms and must wear masks while in the public spaces. Obviously they can't control the independent living folks when they are not there, but we don't really have (comparatively) a lot of cases here in Tucson, and I'm pretty sure the MIL is in her room anyhow.

What bothered me - my sister in law hops into the car - no mask, but I brought one for her. Her son works in a grocery store and she really doesn't seem to appreciate the issue (she is temporarily working from home, for a call center). Totally took a shower when I got home, was yucked out.

The kicker - my mother-in-law who doesn't like company for more than 5 minutes in the best of times, asked why we were not able to visit her. I have no words.
this thing is all over the place... some are nonchalant others are in a panic. All while wearing the same gloves everywhere they go and touching everything in sight with them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom