OT: - WNBA at 99% Vaccination Rate | The Boneyard

OT: WNBA at 99% Vaccination Rate

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The WNBA announced today that the players, coaches and staff have achieved a vaccination rate of 99%. The league also announced that there has not been a single positive case of the coronavirus since the start of the season. Among other pro leagues, MLB is approximately 85%, NBA -75% and NFL-65%.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok, who did not do it? My bet is Cambage.

Reaction Score
Ok, who did not do it? My bet is Cambage.
It could have been Cheyenne Parker. Apparently those that test positive shouldn’t get the vaccine until they test negative and then the second dose is 30 days after the first so she wouldn’t be fully vaccinated until 14 days after that second dose? I don’t know who wouldn’t get vaccinated, but I doubt the W would release that information. Glad they’ve passed the herd immunity threshold!

Reaction Score
The WNBA announced today that the players, coaches and staff have achieved a vaccination rate of 99%. The league also announced that there has not been a single positive case of the coronavirus since the start of the season. Among other pro leagues, MLB is approximately 85%, NBA -75% and NFL-65%.
Interesting as the vacs are 90 to 95% effective there should be a 5 to 10 percent positive rate.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting as the vacs are 90 to 95% effective there should be a 5 to 10 percent positive rate.
The WNBA is a relatively small sample size, made up of extremely healthy young women, who’s immune responses are likely to be better than the general population.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is a relatively small sample size, made up of extremely healthy young women, who’s immune responses are likely to be better than the general population.
Agree with small sample as a factor. Not sure healthy young women are less likely to get virus. They are less likely to get real sick but should still test positive even if asymptomatic. Right?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree with small sample as a factor. Not sure healthy young women are less likely to get virus. They are less likely to get real sick but should still test positive even if asymptomatic. Right?
I don’t know enough about post-vaccination cases to say if older people or people with compromised immune systems are more likely to contract the virus than young, healthy people. It makes sense though. What I do know is that fully vaccinated individuals have practically 0 chance of dying or requiring hospitalization.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

But if WNBA players hang out with other WNBA players or their families are just as motivated to be vaccinated, the already small 5-10% factors become further reduced because it takes 2 to tango.

Reaction Score
Uhhh no. That’s not how to interpret that.

IF they were all heavily exposed to the virus then 5-10 % would get it.
but with almost all players (and likely staff) vax + some precautions ==> chance of getting it is quite quite low.

Reaction Score

but with almost all players (and likely staff) vax + some precautions ==> chance of getting it is quite quite low.

For everyone else, the chance of contracting the vastly more contagious and vastly deadlier Delta variant of Covid is much higher. Given that my immune system doesn't work, it's a lot scarier. And that goes for cancer patients who've recently had chemo and others in my boat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

One article I saw from NH said that out of 750,000 vaccinated people, 175 subsequently got COVID. That's much lower than quite low. That is so low that my calculator needs scientific notation to express the number.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom