WNBA - another suspension for Wings' forward Glory Johnson | The Boneyard

WNBA - another suspension for Wings' forward Glory Johnson

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This time for throwing a punch at Matee Ajavon (with a closed fist)...

Johnson suspended 1 game

She was also suspended the first seven games of last season over a domestic incident involving Brittney Griner...

Reaction Score
I saw this and thought it was poorly handled by the refs. The announcers thought it was very good and appropriate. They were Dallas announcers. Ajavon got her hands up in Johnson's face seemingly accidentally and Johnson came at her with a roundhouse right. Ajavon got two fouls on the play called on her and Johnson just a technical. That seemed to put the knife in Atlanta's chances as it was very near the end of the game. Dallas got a four point victory. Very unfair. To me, Johnson's actions are the kind the league should want out of the game. Glad she got the suspension, especially since they play CT next.

Reaction Score
Everyone watching the video will see something different but IMHO Matee Ajavon grabbed Glory Johnson at least 3x's before the punch was thrown, so BOTH should have called for the same fouls and suspended 1 game! They were both guilty of taking it too far!
Both players have always been on the edge of "dirty play" since they played at Rutgers and TN respectively!
The referees stink anyway and must have let comparable play occur all game till it reached it's peak!
All that being said, there's no place for either behavior in competition!

Last edited by a moderator:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I am no Glory Johnson fan, but that call was absurd. Give both players technicals for rough play to prevent an escalation, but Johnson never made contact only fanned the air...basically typical basketball non-fight. How did the ref standing right next to them miss Ajavan hitting Johnson in the throat?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that the refs in the WNBA in general leave a lot to be desired. Having said that, IMHO thug play has no place in the WNBA. Yes there will be more physical play than is allowed in college, but at times, to me, it borders on a rugby scrum.

Having said that, a player like Griner, who got into it with Barncastle in college, certainly has learned. You never see/hear about Griner being overly physical with a player and usually she's the one getting mauled. It remains to be seen if Johnson learns from this, or continues with her overly aggressive play. Instead of blaming the refs, which she has a point on Ajavon's muggery, she ought to look at herself - this is her 2nd suspension in 3 years. And it's not like the suspensions were for getting T'd up for jawing at the refs- they were more serious than that.

Reaction Score
I am no Glory Johnson fan, but that call was absurd. Give both players technicals for rough play to prevent an escalation, but Johnson never made contact only fanned the air...basically typical basketball non-fight. How did the ref standing right next to them miss Ajavan hitting Johnson in the throat?
Never made contact? She made the initial slap across Ajavon's shoulder. It was a hard enough slap to hurt.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
While this is a second suspension for Glory Johnson, Matee Ajavon was certainly doing her best to provoke a reaction from Johnson. And Ajavon was not suspended or otherwise fined by the league.

And, as UConn fans definitely can recall, this is not the first time that Matee Ajavon has been involved in provoking other player(s).
(2005 Big East Tournament Final, if I recall correctly)

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Never made contact? She made the initial slap across Ajavon's shoulder. It was a hard enough slap to hurt.
She never made contact with the clenched right fist/haymaker that was the crux of the suspension. They were both jostling WNBA hard and chippy for position and then (once outworked for said position) Ajavon gives Johnson a right jab to the throat area. Take a jab at anyone in the throat area and it generally triggers primal defense/attack instincts...especially when the adrenaline is already red-lining.

Reaction Score
This time for throwing a punch at Matee Ajavon (with a closed fist)...

Johnson suspended 1 game

She was also suspended the first seven games of last season over a domestic incident involving Brittney Griner...
If you are going to punch someone a closed fist is always better than a open fist--at one time that was called a slap! Ajavon--was one heck of a player at RU---another kid I liked to dislike, she was that good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom