WNBA Active Players and their School Affiliation | The Boneyard

WNBA Active Players and their School Affiliation

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Much discussion has occurred about best path to the pro's and so with the Current WNBA season rosters set, I have compiled the list of all 151 players, their schools and conference affiliations.
There really aren't many surprises by Schools (UConn #1 by A LOT with 17 including 10 in the last 4 years).

What should be noted to all of our "Other WCBB Fans" is based on Conference, the ACC is clearly the dominant contributor into the league with 31 Players (BigTen and SEC have 22). The ACC also leads the way with 6 Rookies and is trending younger, which means more recent players in the league. The years experience is a factor for a recruit to think about as the BigTen has just 2 Rookies and averages 5.27 Years experience highest among any conference with more than 3 players from it in the WNBA. This means this conference has not recently developed players when compared to other Conferences. Also problematic is the SEC with 4.5 years average experience with only SC showing development of younger players (no surprise there). Obviously this can all change depending who develops but history on coaching is a pretty good indicator.
Here are the leading Conference and School contributors to WNBA Talent this year. Please let me know your thoughts.

1597254476034.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Big East got a big bump w/ UConn's jump, AAC of course had the opposite happen. These numbers for conferences might change quite a bit if you went by which conference a school was in during a given player's career, not which conference the school is in currently. Of course there are some UConn players in the league still who played when they were in the real Big East. Probably a few Maryland players hanging around from when they were an ACC school? Some Louisville/Big East players? Anyway, that particular type of revisionist history bothers me slightly. Like the Big 10 Conference claiming all of Nebraska's WVB Championships from the time when the Huskers were in the Big 12.

Only 4 International players? Really? Do they not count as International if they played in college in the U.S.?

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Interesting info.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
There are 6 Foreign Players who did not attend college in the US. Brazil, Spain and Italy each had 1 player in the WNBA this year. I only listed the countries that had more than 1. Here is the full list by conference, by # of players by school.
1597257938234.png

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Australia only has Allana Smith and Ezi Magbegor? I thought there were a few others.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Again, for clarity, the list of the two Australians is Liz Cambage and Ezy Macbegor who neither attended college in the US. If an Australian attended a US institution, they were assigned to that school. The file does show a "nationality" ike Alanna Smith, Leilani Mitchell and Sami Whitcomb for a total of 5.

Now if you all want a file by nationality, contributions are being accepted...;)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Much discussion has occurred about best path to the pro's and so with the Current WNBA season rosters set, I have compiled the list of all 151 players, their schools and conference affiliations.
There really aren't many surprises by Schools (UConn #1 by A LOT with 17 including 10 in the last 4 years).

What should be noted to all of our "Other WCBB Fans" is based on Conference, the ACC is clearly the dominant contributor into the league with 31 Players (BigTen and SEC have 22). The ACC also leads the way with 6 Rookies and is trending younger, which means more recent players in the league. The years experience is a factor for a recruit to think about as the BigTen has just 2 Rookies and averages 5.27 Years experience highest among any conference with more than 3 players from it in the WNBA. This means this conference has not recently developed players when compared to other Conferences. Also problematic is the SEC with 4.5 years average experience with only SC showing development of younger players (no surprise there). Obviously this can all change depending who develops but history on coaching is a pretty good indicator.
Here are the leading Conference and School contributors to WNBA Talent this year. Please let me know your thoughts.

View attachment 57622
How'd you get 17? I can only get 16.
Dolson - Sky
Stevens - Sky
Williams - Sky
KML - Sun
Nurse - Liberty
Stokes - Liberty
Walker - Liberty
Collier - Lynx
Dangerfield - Lynx
Hartley - Mercury
Taurasi - Mercury
Bird - Storm
Stewart - Storm
Tuck - Storm
Jefferson - Wings
KLS - Wings

Not Playing this year
Charles - Mystics
Hayes - Dream
Montgomery - Dream
Moore - Lynx

Who am I missing?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: If Sami Whitcomb is Australian, then Vandersloot is Hungarian, and probably several other players have dual citizenship. That really muddies the waters.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
How'd you get 17? I can only get 16.
Dolson - Sky
Stevens - Sky
Williams - Sky
KML - Sun
Nurse - Liberty
Stokes - Liberty
Walker - Liberty
Collier - Lynx
Dangerfield - Lynx
Hartley - Mercury
Taurasi - Mercury
Bird - Storm
Stewart - Storm
Tuck - Storm
Jefferson - Wings
KLS - Wings

Not Playing this year
Charles - Mystics
Hayes - Dream
Montgomery - Dream
Moore - Lynx

Who am I missing?
WNBA roster listed Tina Charles as active.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Miami Florida is listed as having only one player and Miami Ohio two. I believe all three WNBA players are from Miami Florida (Mompremier, R. Williams, and ??), which would give the ACC even more and would nix the MAC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@DefenseBB Not gonna give credit for Karima Christmas-Kelly?? Duke has 6 players... though she was put on the injured reserved list... or whatever they call it....

Miami Florida is listed as having only one player and Miami Ohio two. I believe all three WNBA players are from Miami Florida (Mompremier, R. Williams, and ??), which would give the ACC even more and would nix the MAC.

Shenise Johnson is the third Miami player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: If Sami Whitcomb is Australian, then Vandersloot is Hungarian, and probably several other players have dual citizenship. That really muddies the waters.
I didn't realize Sami had spent so much time in the U.S. She has a dual citizenship and made her name playing in Australia.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Sami had spent so much time in the U.S.

Yeah, like her whole life pretty much. She's U.S. born and raised, didn't become an Australian citizen until 2018. That just seems really strange to call her Australian when she's clearly American. I sure haven't noticed any Australian accent when I've heard interviews with her.

Australian?

I'm going to start referring to myself as Martian.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
@DefenseBB Not gonna give credit for Karima Christmas-Kelly?? Duke has 6 players... though she was put on the injured reserved list... or whatever they call it....

Shenise Johnson is the third Miami player.
Man, I went by what the Opening Day rosters listed, If they don’t view injured reserve as worthy of being listed, then I don’t know what to tell you. Can’t you be happy with what you have and how I pointed out how good your league is? Smh...

Let’s put it this way, I can list her but then I will add in Maya, Tiffany and Rene to boost our total to 20...:D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Man, I went by what the Opening Day rosters listed, If they don’t view injured reserve as worthy of being listed, then I don’t know what to tell you. Can’t you be happy with what you have and how I pointed out how good your league is? Smh...

Let’s put it this way, I can list her but then I will add in Maya, Tiffany and Rene to boost our total to 20...:D

33.gif

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, like her whole life pretty much. She's U.S. born and raised, didn't become an Australian citizen until 2018. That just seems really strange to call her Australian when she's clearly American. I sure haven't noticed any Australian accent when I've heard interviews with her.

Australian?

I'm going to start referring to myself as Martian.

I didn't know who Sami was until 3 years ago. The WNBA announcers referred to her playing in Australia. I didn't notice her in college and had no other info on her. I assumed she was Australian. Given my limited info, I made a plausible assumption. It happened to be wrong. If I had known her full story, I wouldn't have called her an Aussie.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't know who Sami was until 3 years ago. The WNBA announcers referred to her playing in Australia. I didn't notice her in college and had no other info on her. I assumed she was Australian. Given my limited info, I made a plausible assumption. It happened to be wrong. If I had known her full story, I wouldn't have called her an Aussie.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give you a hard time. I hadn't noticed the announcers referring to her as Australian until just this week. I was wondering "How have I never known she's Australian?" I actually saw her play a little bit in college. Then I looked up her bio and it just seemed so strange that they've decided to start referring to her that way. Maybe it was her request?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know I'm drifting now. I wonder how Russian Becky Hammon is feeling these days? I bet she hasn't been over there in years, probably keeping busy with the Spurs organization. She has dual citizenship and competed for them for a while.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry, I didn't mean to give you a hard time. I hadn't noticed the announcers referring to her as Australian until just this week. I was wondering "How have I never known she's Australian?" I actually saw her play a little bit in college. Then I looked up her bio and it just seemed so strange that they've decided to start referring to her that way. Maybe it was her request?
You probably remember Sami from college at UW, but I had no idea she was from California! I learned something this week. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom