F - Candace Parker . . . . 137 pts
G - Maya Moore . . . . 127 pts

2nd Team

F - Nneka Ogwumike . . . . 135 pts
F - Jonquel Jones . . . 106 pts
G - Chelsea Gray . . . . 100 pts
C - Brittany Griner . . . .91 pts
G - Diana Taurasi . . . . 71 pts

2017 MVP Sylvia Fowles Headlines 2017 All-WNBA First Team - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Looks like the teams were assembled C/F/F/G/G rather than purely by point totals (from voting). They ended up calling Maya a guard, so she made 1st team that way. I always find it odd when I see her listed as a guard, even tho she is occasionally listed that way in Minn Lynx articles and WNBA material (such as this list). But by and large, she is listed as F or SF.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1st Team

C - Sylvia Fowles (already named league MVP) . . . .195 pts
F - Tina Charles . . . 166 pts
G - Skylar Diggins . . . . 151 pts

2nd Team

2017 MVP Sylvia Fowles Headlines 2017 All-WNBA First Team - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Looks like the teams were assembled C/F/F/G/G rather than purely by point totals (from voting). They ended up calling Maya a guard, so she made 1st team that way. I always find it odd when I see her listed as a guard, even tho she is occasionally listed that way in Minn Lynx articles and WNBA material (such as this list). But by and large, she is listed as F or SF.

Big gap in points for DT who leaped over players who were probably over 71 pts. A clear UConn conspiracy. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Surprised Moore made 1st team over Nneka, Stewart and Jones. More surprised that Stewart was snubbed from either team.

They really need to ditch the G/G/F/F/C layout....just put the 5 players who had the best seasons on 1st team. Not that difficult.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
just call them the top 5 (or 10) players, and eliminate the word TEAM.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1st Team

2nd Team

Moore is as much of a guard as I am a vegetarian.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1st Team

2nd Team

Kudos to Jonquel Jones. Note the other players. She's the only "YOUNGSTER" (a 2nd year player that's 23 years old) on either team. ALL the rest of the players are seasoned vets!!! Membership on either of these teams is a tough nut to crack. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Has no one noticed that Seimone is playing small forward and Maya is playing guard? ;)

Seriously, it is strange that Maya is considered a guard.

Some interesting verbiage:

"Charles has been an All-WNBA selection in every season of her eight-year career, including five First Team nods." Impressive! Book a trip to Springfield.

"Moore was chosen to the All-WNBA First Team for the fifth consecutive season." Maya is elite year after year.

Reaction Score
Big gap in points for DT who leaped over players who were probably over 71 pts. A clear UConn conspiracy. :rolleyes:

I don't think D was D this season. Seems to be showing her age. Can't be spectacular forever.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Kudos to Jonquel Jones. Note the other players. She's the only "YOUNGSTER" (a 2nd year player that's 23 years old) on either team. ALL the rest of the players are seasoned vets!!! Membership on either of these teams is a tough nut to crack. :cool:

Well technically.... this is Chelsea Gray's second season of playing as well......... she didnt play her first season due to injury

Reaction Score
Granted that scoring is not the only indicator ( Diana 19.8, Skylar 18.5) but to award Skylar twice the number of points than Diana is a total joke!! I'd take Diana over Skylar on my FIRST team any day of the week!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well technically.... this is Chelsea Gray's second season of playing as well.... she didnt play her first season due to injury

It seems that Gray has been in the league longer than that. But, it also seems like yesterday that she was at Duke fighting injuries.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Surprised Moore made 1st team over Nneka, Stewart and Jones. More surprised that Stewart was snubbed from either team.

They really need to ditch the G/G/F/F/C layout....just put the 5 players who had the best seasons on 1st team. Not that difficult.

This always comes up when the All-NBA teams are announced, as there are fewer great centers as opposed to forwards and there has to be "fudging" of positions to get worthy players into certain positions to make all-league squads.

With the W, Jones was the de facto center, but listed as a forward due to her shooting range and to make sure she could get on an all league team. Otherwise, either Jones or Griner would have been left off, as both are centers.

And other posters have already discussed Maya being listed as a guard. Maya played more at the 4 this year than at the 2.

Reaction Score
Well technically.... this is Chelsea Gray's second season of playing as well.... she didnt play her first season due to injury

This is her third year playing. She was drafted in 2014.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is her third year playing. She was drafted in 2014.

dog is sad.jpg

Im so embarrassed....... my mind is slipping..... must be the hunger..... lemme go get two pizzas and some cake

Carnac

Reaction Score
View attachment 25145

Im so embarrassed.. my mind is slipping..... must be the hunger..... lemme go get two pizzas and some cake

Triad, Sometimes it's hard to maintain one's reputation on the Boneyard as a contrarian. No one is perfect. :rolleyes: BTW, don't forget the ice cream with that cake.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wish they would show the entire vote totals. Curious to see how many votes players such as Stewart, Vandersloot, and Jasmine Thomas received.

Triad, Sometimes it's hard to maintain one's reputation on the Boneyard as a contrarian. No one is perfect. :rolleyes: BTW, don't forget the ice cream with that cake.

:mad: Are you calling me a glutton? as i head into the kitchen for another slice of pizza

Actually the dessert shop I stopped at didnt even have any cake left Head bang Had to settle for a oreo cheesecake brownie instead

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wish they would show the entire vote totals. Curious to see how many votes players such as Stewart, Vandersloot, and Jasmine Thomas received.

:mad: Are you calling me a glutton? as i head into the kitchen for another slice of pizza

Actually the dessert shop I stopped at didnt even have any cake left Head bang Had to settle for a oreo cheesecake brownie instead

Absolutely not. It's been my experience that cake always goes down better with an ice cream chaser.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Diana Taurasi earned second team honors to tie the record for most career All-WNBA honors."

"It is the fifth time in a row more than one former Husky was named to the five-member first team, which is the longest streak in WNBA history. It is also the 16th year in a row that at least one UConn product earned first-team recognition, a streak that began in Sue Bird’s rookie season."

Former UConn players dominate All-WNBA selections

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom