Wither the Huskies? | The Boneyard

Wither the Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This team does some things pretty well. In no particular order: 1) shooting free throws, 2) running the break, 3)half court defense. The half court offense is a hot and cold running mess. This is not a good shooting team, and we rarely go on hot shooting streaks. Even when players are producing, we go away from them for no reason. We are abysmal at creating angles to feed the post. The guards rarely penetrate effectively, Adams has that skill, but he hasn't had the on court time to perfect if. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Adams can/will create for others.

Hamilton has dropped off the cliff in offensive effectiveness. He looks confused and tentative, perhaps teams have learned how to play him. The ball moves way too slowly in the half court. When Hamilton has the ball, others players tend to stand around. Clock time is wasted, and this too often results in late shot clock efforts.

UConn lacks a breakdown player; that is an individual who when a particular set sucks balls, creates a viable offensive opportunity. Maybe Adams can do this. Still this late in the season, we should know if we have this type of player or not. One other positive, we have cut down on turnovers. One other negative, we make way too many stupid careless fouls.

Rebounding has been a season long problem; it was in 2014, and Ollie fixed it for the AAC tournament and the NCAA's. SMU gave up offensive rebounds to stop the break, Cincy didn't and they pounded UConn on the boards. When UConn gets a defensive board, push the ball. Force the other team to react. This team needs easy baskets and to get to the foul line. Playing against the other team's set defense in the half court is
a losing strategy. That is particularly true for this team.

Down the line it is going to be difficult inside each and every game. UConn doesn't have consistent players.
Hamilton is in a funk, ever Miller lost his long double digit scoring streak. Ollie is like the Dutch boy trying
to stop the flood with his finger in the dike. He doesn't have a fixed rotation; he has a situational rotation.
This late in the season that is not good. Unfortunately no one is reliable. If Miller and Brimah stay out of foul trouble; UConn is a solid team, with some real holes.

Start Adams with the caveat that he needs to be a PG who makes others better, only when the clock is running down should he go into save the game mode. You still want him to take good early shots, not 3 pointers, but open mid-range and open driving lanes. The problem with this is his judgement, his first goal should be to involve others. It is easy to say stick with Adams come what may, unfortunately the team needs to win games. So pull Adams and sit him next to Ollie for in game coaching. Reinsert him quickly.

Despite my criticisms, I don't believe that his team has come anywhere near playing its best basketball. The
second half against Memphis is the closest I've seen. Sometimes coaching even watching on TV can be frustrating. It's always a matter of maximizing strengths and minimizing weaknesses. Keep Brimah and Miller on the floor, push the ball at every opportunity, get the ball inside, get to the line, and have Adams run the show. That coupled with solid half court D should be enough most nights. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as I have made it seem.

One final thought, the Thursday Saturday turn around seems to be particularly tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3
Top Bottom