With UConn’s Azzi Fudd out with foot injury, Geno Auriemma looks to bench: ‘Asking more of them’ | The Boneyard

With UConn’s Azzi Fudd out with foot injury, Geno Auriemma looks to bench: ‘Asking more of them’

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
First off I haven't read the story yet because what I first noticed was the phrase "backup guards need to step up to ".
Azzi is a backup guard so I would think that the starting guards need to step up first and play well enough to stay on the court and ease the pressure on the backups. IMO.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing the article. Glad that a subscription was not needed. We got the depth to hold down the fort until Azzi gets better. Looking forward to seeing Aubrey out there, if only for a few minutes. Same with Caroline and Nika. Heck we can get Mir and Piath out there as well. Coach wants the team to be aggressive, put some fullcourt pressure on Seton Hall. 40 Minutes. Players need a rest. Sub! Let that defense generate our offense. Can not wait for the game tomorrow!!

Reaction Score
I can only say that I hope Azzi returns quickly and 100% healthy but in the meantime it opens up some playing time for others. We know what Aubrey is, get her 10 to 12 minutes she’ll give you 6 to 8 points five or six rebounds three steals and some solid defense. I would be more concerned to see Caroline playing then Nika we know what she can do and I believe that is somewhat limited whereas Caroline has a much higher ceiling. It would be nice to see her comfortable in the offense because I believe she can put up some real points. Caroline is also Deceivingly long on defense and will have a few blocks as well. And Mir could see a few more minutes if Geno cuts Down on starter time as well. I don’t like to lose games but I would really like to see our subs developing for the end of the year. To me that is more important than beating a lesser team by 30.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice read, but no mention of Mir anywhere. I was hoping that with Azzi out, and Aubrey still not back (or available for limited minutes), that we would see increases in PT not only for Nika and Caroline, but also from Mir. We will see how the PT shakes out this weekend.

Reaction Score
I hope that Caroline gets some serious minutes and won't be reluctant to shoot. Let's see if she can be aggressive in looking for her shot. Don't just hover at the 3 point line but keep darting inside for a pass. Once she has the ball, go up quick for the shot. All good shooters have good fundamentals so they have advantage of getting a quick shot off while still squaring up to basket etc. If nothing else, she can get to FT line.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Quite a few are jumping on the "Nika is limited" bandwagon, and admittedly she has had a rough start to this season. She started slowly last season as well.

I think the better measure is how does the team play when she is on the court. My recollection from last season was that the ball movement on offense was considerably better with her out there, and the team defensive intensity was better as well. She is as fearless and determined as anyone pushing the ball in transition. Her presence also allows Paige to play off the ball.

I`m hoping to see some of that again over the next few games.

Reaction Score
First off I haven't read the story yet because what I first noticed was the phrase "backup guards need to step up to ".
Azzi is a backup guard so I would think that the starting guards need to step up first and play well enough to stay on the court and ease the pressure on the backups. IMO.
Cannot burn out your starters before March….need good minutes from bench. Everyone knows this.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nice read, but no mention of Mir anywhere. I was hoping that with Azzi out, and Aubrey still not back (or available for limited minutes), that we would see increases in PT not only for Nika and Caroline, but also from Mir. We will see how the PT shakes out this weekend.
I'll bet my turban we'll see lots of Mir tomorrow. :)

Reaction Score
I hope that Caroline gets some serious minutes and won't be reluctant to shoot. Let's see if she can be aggressive in looking for her shot. Don't just hover at the 3 point line but keep darting inside for a pass. Once she has the ball, go up quick for the shot. All good shooters have good fundamentals so they have advantage of getting a quick shot off while still squaring up to basket etc. If nothing else, she can get to FT line.
Breakout performance by Caroline soon. If not this weekend then soon.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Breakout performance by Caroline soon. If not this weekend then soon.
Article more specific to Caroline and what she needs to do.

After returning from The Bahamas, 'Caroline' sat down with the coaching staff to talk about the things she needs to do to get on the floor.

There was one major point of emphasis.

“Defense is a hole in my game that I need to work on,” Ducharme said. “You can’t be on the floor if you can’t defend. I need to take things into my own hands, lock in on that and focus.”

That started in practice when the Huskies returned to campus.
“Practice has gone well,” Ducharme said. “It’s definitely been a different intensity since we got back from The Bahamas. Everyone is trying to do what they can, step it up, and bring one more thing to keep getting better each day and each practice.”

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Re evaluate her stress reaction in 2 weeks tells me along with talking to coaches about it tells me we should hope Azzi is back for January. Stress reactions can be very painful and take time. I hope Im wrong but with a long break in December it may be a while before she comes back. We've got Nika and Caroline who should see more minutes and that down the road should pay dividends.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve seen the last of Azzi until at least early February.
Foot stress problem seems to be a lingering situation since last summer, if not before.
Potential stress fracture may be the precursor to a break.
Better safe than sorry.
Will FORCE Geno to play others.
And BIg East level of play will ALLOW him to do so.

Reaction Score
hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum, I'm Italian and passionate about BB and Wbb in particular, so I ask you to forgive me for any mistakes or misunderstandings in the jargon you use ... I agree with many of you about the fact that it is still early to judge some of our girls ... we all want them to be bolder and stronger in all positions on the field but there is only one of Paige. I also agree in hoping that Geno will give important minutes to Nika, Caroline, Dorka in the BE which starts today as there are some injured girls (I can only follow the matches on You Tube the next day or if they are broadcast from the Uconn site according to the hour but it's a great joy all the same)
FORZA UCONN !!!
sorry if I said some trivial things
but I felt like saying this to start

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum, I'm Italian and passionate about BB and Wbb in particular, so I ask you to forgive me for any mistakes or misunderstandings in the jargon you use ... I agree with many of you about the fact that it is still early to judge some of our girls ... we all want them to be bolder and stronger in all positions on the field but there is only one of Paige. I also agree in hoping that Geno will give important minutes to Nika, Caroline, Dorka in the BE which starts today as there are some injured girls (I can only follow the matches on You Tube the next day or if they are broadcast from the Uconn site according to the hour but it's a great joy all the same)
FORZA UCONN !!!
Welcome to the BY! Please feel free to post often! My dad is a lurker and he says "I never post because I have nothing different to say, and there are so many on the board who know more than I do".

I tell him that most of us don't know any more than anyone else, we just post our opinions more frequently! LOL. So put yourself out there, and even if people disagree, they are usually respectful and nice about it, and it makes for fun discussions! :D

Reaction Score
FORZA UCONN !!!
Welcome.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Caroline steps up she feels Azzi’s shoes the best in that the team can run exactly the same action for Caroline that it does for Fudd. On the other hand, Nika is a known quantity. When she comes in, Paige moves from point guard to shooting guard. That’s more of an adjustment, but the team was comfortable with that all last year.

Reaction Score
FORZA UCONN !!!
C'mon Geno. We aren't falling for your disguise.

Reaction Score
My guess is that we will see less of the 4-guard lineup. Then you've got 3 starters + Nika, CD playing ~120 minutes and the 3 bigs playing ~80.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FORZA UCONN !!!
Welcome Olimpia. The first post is the hardest post, and you’re already over that hurdle so it’s all smooth sailing from here. Don’t take your own posts, or anyone else’s, too seriously and you will do fine.

Reaction Score
Dai Geno. Non ci stiamo innamorando del tuo travestimento.
ha ha ha ha, you are really nice ...
I think you responded to mock me sarcastically ...
I wish I were Geno ... I'm only a fellow countryman if we think Geno is "American / Italian".

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
ddddddddddd

Geno Auriemma looks to bench: ‘Asking more of them’

Bet the bench are saying, "About time time you ask for more and give us some minutes to develop and show you what we can do!"

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
FORZA UCONN !!!
And you should expect doses of sarcasm. Like the fact that we play basketball "games". Matches are reserved for soccer.

I gave you an opening here...:)

Reaction Score
And you should expect doses of sarcasm. Like the fact that we play basketball "games". Matches are reserved for soccer.

I gave you an opening here...:)
Ba Humbug!
Adds an international flavor to the board.
Chess, wrestling, tennis, all matches.
Kinda like the sound of matches...

Reaction Score
ha ha ha ha, you are really nice ...
I think you responded to mock me sarcastically ...
I wish I were Geno ... I'm only a fellow countryman if we think Geno is "American / Italian".
No mocking. Just playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom