OT: With NCAA investigation underway, Arizona's Sean Miller faces complicated future | The Boneyard

OT: With NCAA investigation underway, Arizona's Sean Miller faces complicated future

Reaction Score
With NCAA investigation underway, Arizona's Sean Miller faces complicated future

>>As the University of Arizona basketball program slogs through a difficult season on the court, the school appears to soon be facing uncomfortable questions on the future of embattled coach Sean Miller. Sources told Yahoo Sports that Arizona is one of the schools tied to the federal basketball scandal where a formal NCAA inquiry has begun.

While Arizona has the country’s No. 1 recruiting class for next season, there’s a series of looming issues both with the federal probe and the ongoing NCAA investigation into the school that complicate Miller’s future there.

The issues begin with the upcoming trial of Christian Dawkins, the former agency employee who claimed deep ties to the Arizona program. There’s also potential NCAA fallout from the recent felony plea in federal court by former Arizona assistant coach Emanuel “Book” Richardson, which amplifies the question of how the NCAA will handle Miller’s responsibility for the actions in his program.<<

Reaction Score
But, but, but, all the announcers say he's a great coach............just look at all the great players he gets every year. That's the narrative and they stick to it.

How this guy has been able to continually get great recruiting classes as he repeatedly underachieves might be a mystery to the announcers, but it appears the wiretaps might show how he does it. Hopefully they have some good recordings of Self too, but he's probably done this so long he knows how to send the code words and the NCAA will say they just don't have the evidence to show something was amiss.

Sure would be interesting to hear the Will Wade recording too. Maybe we'll hear voices connected to one now famous recruit from the Northeast.

Reaction Score
The real investigation should be how he gets a #1 recruiting class in the middle of all this in the desert.

Reaction Score
Honestly after what happened to us and then what North Carolina did makes my head explode. There is no justice with the NCAA. And the basketball "experts" and announcers all act like nothing happened.

Reaction Score
They’ll get the Louisville treatment. Miller and others will get canned, they’ll hire the top available coach and keep on chugging like nothing happened. It’s all very deflating.

Yup. And the Zona fanbase has been eager to move on from Miller anyways. Win-Win for the Wildcats.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking this all along also don. How about the others ville, Kansas. After the North Carolina debacle I've given up on the ncaa.
They killed Missouri. Guess they just didn't have UNC type lawyers

Reaction Score
Reading some of the progress in the trials it seems to me that the shoe companies and their operatives will take the biggest blame and hit. It won't surprise me if the coaches involved may be cut some slack for cooperating and the schools may be nearly exonerated as they are portrayed as the biggest "victims".
Typical for the NCAA, the beloved schools involved might walk away with only a slap on the wrist. I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
the schools may be nearly exonerated as they are portrayed as the biggest "victims". Typical for the NCAA, the beloved schools involved might walk away with only a slap on the wrist. I hope I'm wrong.

Yup. The schools are shocked. Shocked! To find there was gambling in the Casablanca.

Reaction Score
Honestly after what happened to us and then what North Carolina did makes my head explode. There is no justice with the NCAA. And the basketball "experts" and announcers all act like nothing happened.

Take care of your head - its not you. We live in a world where a bunch of masters of the universe bankers tanked the whole economy in 2008 without anyone of substance being held to account. Yet the FBI investigates a scheme where some high school basketball players are compensated for providing a legal service for a mutually agreed to price.

Cheating? Against the rules ? Sure. A matter for the FBI ?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless you want the NCAA to have jurisdiction over all academics at universities then the North Carolina decision makes perfect sense.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
the ncaa shouldnt have jurisdiction over school wide academics.

the apr shouldnt exist at all
But if it does, saying "yeah we had fake classes but we respect them as a university" shouldn't be a get out jail free card.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
but it does, that's the point

so because apr exists you think the ncaa should have jurisdiction over the viability of academic classes at state universities.

okey dokey - good luck with those legal arguments

Reaction Score
so because apr exists you think the ncaa should have jurisdiction over the viability of academic classes at state universities.

okey dokey - good luck with those legal arguments

I seem to recall uNC admitted the classes were fraudulent. They also said they were run by a member of the athletic admin staff who did the grading, not a professor.

If the classes were fraudulent, the "student athletes" wouldn't have met the minimum credit requirements for the semesters in which they took the "classes", so they should have been declared ineligible and uNC should have forfeited every game in which one of them played.

Unless, of course, the NCAA and uNC agree that fraudulent classes are acceptable for maintaining eligibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I seem to recall uNC admitted the classes were fraudulent. They also said they were run by a member of the athletic admin staff who did the grading, not a professor.

If the classes were fraudulent, the "student athletes" wouldn't have met the minimum credit requirements for the semesters in which they took the "classes", so they should have been declared ineligible and uNC should have forfeited every game in which one of them played.

Unless, of course, the NCAA and uNC agree that fraudulent classes are acceptable for maintaining eligibility.

Do you not get why the NCAA didn’t do anything to UNC?

They know they don’t have any jurisdiction.

This seriously isn’t that hard.

Reaction Score
But Kevin Ollie deserves his money...

Attachments

• 10774789-F4F3-4D06-802E-6FA6CAE30545.png
    10774789-F4F3-4D06-802E-6FA6CAE30545.png
    728.2 KB · Views: 127

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics