"With bowl game out of reach, what becomes UConn's focus?" | The Boneyard

"With bowl game out of reach, what becomes UConn's focus?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Two things:

1. Regardless of what Diaco said about winning games, if you take everything else he said plus actions, winning games was a back burner focus.

2. Diaco said that Boyle is the starter next year unless someone beats him out. I believe there is a good chance for that to happen.

Diaco set himself up with a free year, which many fans (including myself) were all to willing to give him. However that also means he'll have a hard time managing fans' expectations for 2015.

Reaction Score
this regime is full of excuses so it hopes to set stage for the glimmer of hope that it does not face objective evaluation

it truly must believe husky nation knows nil about workings of foosbal=huge diss on fanbase

anyone who has ever suited up in any sport on any level and hits the ballz in anger is there for 1 reason and 1 reason only-beat down opponent to pulp & dominate to victory

if this is not the motive: go home, gargle dee vitamins & contemplate infants levitating coffee pots & coffee tables (let us dreamm bigg)

in summary: i am sure the current focus is to be sure no molds propagate in player shower stalls so i guess all student athletes are being trained during bye weaks to fumigate, regurgitate, do not propagate, do not agitate, do not infiltrate, do not aggregate, do not legislate, do hesitate, do not mastur .., and pleez dont be late

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know some of you have Chap on ignore, so I won't quote him, but I think he just encouraged the Coach to commit a crime.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I like having different themes for losing games. Rather than focus on winning this last quarter, we will celebrate traditions. I recall the first quarter theme was "Preseason, therefore meaningless." Did he articulate the second and third quarter? There was a mention of the conference games being the actual season, but that kind of got dropped.

Reaction Score
I expect more love and care, and not getting fat...

Despite the year that Boyle had, I liked what he said in a recent article and tells me the kids really have faith in Diaco and where he is taking the team. This is refreshing after reading what many of the pundits say on the Bone Yard.

"Because I've dedicated a lot of time and energy and passion to this program and I truly think Coach Diaco is the real deal and I think that we're actually, legitimately, going to go down a path of winning championships and I want to be a part of it. I trust him 100 percent and I trust the players on this team. I think we're going to go places." TIM BOYLE

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Two things:

1. Regardless of what Diaco said about winning games, if you take everything else he said plus actions, winning games was a back burner focus.

2. Diaco said that Boyle is the starter next year unless someone beats him out. I believe there is a good chance for that to happen.

Diaco set himself up with a free year, which many fans (including myself) were all to willing to give him. However that also means he'll have a hard time managing fans' expectations for 2015.
I think everyone was willing to give him a free year, but didn't expect him to just throw it away.

Reaction Score

I don't see him being our guy in the future either... Unless he makes some reeediculously huge strides in his game this off season... Not happening... When he did get a chance he showed nothing, although a little one. Nothing...

Reaction Score

I hope I am wrong, but I believe this Diacospeak for please come back just in case everyone else gets hurt.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think everyone was willing to give him a free year, but didn't expect him to just throw it away.
I know that is the perception, which is why I think Diaco will have a hard time managing expectations next year. I recognize I probably thinks the groundwork laid this year would have resulted in a few more wins on the scoreboard. OTOH, his hand was chopped off in the 4th quarter of the first OOC game. This team was behind a number of 8-balls this year (Thin depth at QB made thinner by two transfers and a retirement, painfully little experience on the O-line, lack of focus on strength and conditioning, etc.). All of those get out of jail cards are exhausted next year. It's all on him.

Reaction Score

BREAKING NEWS! UCONN was projected to finish 9th in the conference in the beginning of the year! Last I checked my 1 yr old grandson cannot lift a coffee table!

Reaction Score
this regime is full of excuses so it hopes to set stage for the glimmer of hope that it does not face objective evaluation

it truly must believe husky nation knows nil about workings of foosbal=huge diss on fanbase

anyone who has ever suited up in any sport on any level and hits the ballz in anger is there for 1 reason and 1 reason only-beat down opponent to pulp & dominate to victory

if this is not the motive: go home, gargle dee vitamins & contemplate infants levitating coffee pots & coffee tables (let us dreamm bigg)

in summary: i am sure the current focus is to be sure no molds propagate in player shower stalls so i guess all student athletes are being trained during bye weaks to fumigate, regurgitate, do not propagate, do not agitate, do not infiltrate, do not aggregate, do not legislate, do hesitate, do not mastur .., and pleez dont be late
I am three weeks into Chap Rosetta Stone. This is starting to make sense!

Husky25

Reaction Score
I am three weeks into Chap Rosetta Stone. This is starting to make sense!
Do you think I interpreted the gargle vitamins bit correctly? In context, It seems he wants Diaco to pop a couple dozen pills...

Reaction Score
Last 3 games of last season we beat Temple, Rutgers, & Memphis. This should have left the possibility of a more successful season very much a possibility, this season, no matter who is UConn's coach.
Rutgers & Memphis are bowl eligible this season. Temple is a win away from a bowl. They improved, UConn regressed. Gotta' blame the current coach, no matter how he spins it.
Next season should be the focus. No excuses on players out of shape. Two particular games stand out to me, regarding Diaco's future here. Villanova is a very good D-1AA team. They took Syracuse to OT this season. UMass has won 3 games, and improved. Mr. Whipple is doing something up there, rather than squeezing the Charmin.
Should UConn lose to either, or (gasp) both teams, Diaco will have no place to spin his excuses. Losses here will set the program back years in regards to a P-5 invite. This would mean it's time to change coaches again.
I hope this doesn't happen. But after watching how the staff couldn't stop Army's triple option, considering how Yale & 1-9 Kent State did, one wonders if the right coaching hire was made. Next season is crucial, and should be our focus.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Last 3 games of last season we beat Temple, Rutgers, & Memphis. This should have left the possibility of a more successful season very much a possibility, this season, no matter who is UConn's coach.
Rutgers & Memphis are bowl eligible this season. Temple is a win away from a bowl. They improved, UConn regressed. Gotta' blame the current coach, no matter how he spins it.
Next season should be the focus. No excuses on players out of shape. Two particular games stand out to me, regarding Diaco's future here. Villanova is a very good D-1AA team. They took Syracuse to OT this season. UMass has won 3 games, and improved. Mr. Whipple is doing something up there, rather than squeezing the Charmin.
Should UConn lose to either, or (gasp) both teams, Diaco will have no place to spin his excuses. Losses here will set the program back years in regards to a P-5 invite. This would mean it's time to change coaches again.
I hope this doesn't happen. But after watching how the staff couldn't stop Army's triple option, considering how Yale & 1-9 Kent State did, one wonders if the right coaching hire was made. Next season is crucial, and should be our focus.

How did Temple do in Rhule's first season? How did they do in Addazio's final season?

Same questions about Memphis. What did Larry pointer do in 2011 and how did Justin Fuente end up last year?

Given the answers to these question, maybe UConn should sign Diaco up until 2024!!! :eek::rolleyes:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I hope I am wrong, but I believe this Diacospeak for please come back just in case everyone else gets hurt.
Also consider the fact that Diaco is not allowed to speak about recruits until they sign, so his only other option is Shirreffs, who no one outside the coaching staff has seen yet...no basis for armchair QBs to evaluate. At the end of the day, the statement was waste words. An exercise in obvious redundancy. Brilliant coach speak on a Belichickian level.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What I want to see:

- Boyle to play majority of games;
- Newsome/Johnson combo to get bulk of action;
- vanilla play calling to simplify things for our youth (Boyle) and to not needlessly put something on film for next season;
- develop replacements for Davis and Jones
- some youth to step up and begin to assume leadership roles
- OL development

Reaction Score
How did Temple do in Rhule's first season? How did they do in Addazio's final season?

Same questions about Memphis. What did Larry pointer do in 2011 and how did Justin Fuente end up last year?

Given the answers to these question, maybe UConn should sign Diaco up until 2024!!! :eek::rolleyes:
I hope your way of seeing this,Husky 25, is right, and my way is wrong. But, considering what we did to Temple, Rutgers, & Memphis the last three games of last season. And what UConn has done, this season, along with those three have done this season I wouldn't be too willing to sign Diaco through the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
As with every employee, Bobby D will be getting a performance review. Areas in which he has:
1. Exceeded expectations - creating new culture, apparent improvement in recruiting, improvement in strength and conditioning. grades and commitment to academics
2. Met expectations - alumni and former player relations, community involvement (nothing special in either areas)
3. Needs improvement - wins and losses (obviously), external and media relations and by that I mean I have no freakin clue what he's saying half the time, in-game management (timeouts, getting plays in, getting people work from the right hash etc.)

In my firm he would get a 3 out of 5 (met expectations) but would be borderline 4 (PIP). He should be getting strong messaging from Warde IMO but is not yet ready for a formal PIP

Reaction Score
At some point he needs to stfu about the mess he inherited. We get it Bob, its why you were hired in the first place. I don't know what he feels he has to gain by phrasing and rephrasing that he inherited a broken program. The people in this board were with program press Bob, and will be post Bob. You have to figure he is talking to the casual fan hoping to gain their support. The only way to do that is start winning. Do that and more of them will come back.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I hope your way of seeing this,Husky 25, is right, and my way is wrong. But, considering what we did to Temple, Rutgers, & Memphis the last three games of last season. And what UConn has done, this season, along with those three have done this season I wouldn't be too willing to sign Diaco through the next 10 years.
My point was that both Rhule and Fuentes went through a tough first season before they subsequently succeeded. In Fuentes' case his win loss record regressed from his 1st (function of changing conferences notwithstanding.).

Obviously, I wish it manifested itself quicker, but I don't think that improvement on the scoreboard is far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom