With Anna deciding to move on I think about Mir | The Boneyard

With Anna deciding to move on I think about Mir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Anna deciding to move on I think about Mir. I really like this young lady and her game toughness for someone who really isn't that tall or have weight. Many of you have been talking about minutes for next season. I hope Mir whom I said is a smaller Swin evolves into a tougher player. Her athleticism is relentless and she showed that around the basket often. But she also showed her weak side as she missed many put backs. Hopefully, she spends a lot of time in the weight room. Upper body strength is always a plus and is needed. Plus, she has to continue to work on her offensive game. A consistent mid range jumper would be sweet. Add a little time playing defense and this lady will get some minutes. Hopefully, that isn't to much to ask of her.

Reaction Score
I’m also a Mir fan, and didn’t understand why she couldn’t get any minutes in big games outside of Arkansas, but when she committed to UConn, Edwards was uncommitted. Edwards is the better player right now, and Griffin who is taller with a year of experience on Mir has a similar game, where would the minutes for Mir come from?

Reaction Score
I’m also a Mir fan, and didn’t understand why she couldn’t get any minutes in big games outside of Arkansas, but when she committed to UConn, Edwards was uncommitted. Edwards is the better player right now, and Griffin who is taller with a year of experience on Mir has a similar game, where would the minutes for Mir come from?
If Mir ever wants to get more playing time she must have a consistent midrange to 3 point shot. She also needs to have better awareness around the basket and have moves that point her in a better position to score, rather than lunging and throwing up shots against taller bigs. Right now I see Mir as someone who gets minutes when the win is in hand and she comes in late in 4th quarter. I'm hoping she develops to be like Gabby, but that is a tall task. Keeping my fingers crossed because Mir has so much athleticism and upside.

Reaction Score
Mir & AB have similar games. AB took a major step back this year. Need to have a consistent shot to be on the floor in Geno's scheme. Geno might have to simplify things this year - to make sure Paige & Azzi get their shots without having to run all around the court. Need more high-low basketball, but Geno has not recruited posts well for the past 5 years or so.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Gabby was also a superior athlete (actually an Olympic quality athlete) and it took her awhile to figure out the basketball stuff too. I think AB and Mir both suffered from the strange off season this past year - all the one on one work with coaches was missing from the shut down in March to late July. And then a large section of the fall was spent in pods.

Athletes can get away with relying on their athleticism in HS and AAU, come college at a high D1 level, and they need skills to go along with their speed and jumping abilities - takes a while of concentrated effort to gain that, and good coaching.

Reaction Score
Mir & AB have similar games. AB took a major step back this year. Need to have a consistent shot to be on the floor in Geno's scheme. Geno might have to simplify things this year - to make sure Paige & Azzi get their shots without having to run all around the court. Need more high-low basketball, but Geno has not recruited posts well for the past 5 years or so.
Are you trolling? Who is AB? Aside from ONO, who doea have her limitations, we have AE, AD next season and Ice and AP in 2022...Who else does Geno need to recruit? Four of those players will be on the team at the same time, not to mention PG who is already on the team. Quit living in the past, a new day is here for post players at UConn!!

Reaction Score
if i were Mir , because of my height and skill
i will develope a skill what this team really need
i will move on to be a stopper and work really hard on it to gain my minutes
i can defense all the top PG , may be is Mir way out or opportunity

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe Mir will jump over Aubrey in the pecking order. I believe she has more basketball ability and she had a typical freshman season and could be getting a serious sophomore bump.

Reaction Score
If I were Mir, I would shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. I don't want her to shoot herself into an early retirement like Jackie stiles did, but she has so much talent and athleticism, but she is just far too small to be a post player. She has to develop an outside shot.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I see these posts about Mir, and, well, I just don't get it? I think shes athletic and tough, but watching her play is kind of a disaster. Someone else made a post in a thread earlier this season that her shot looks like she is launching a hand grenade the second before it explodes and I would agree. Unless something drastically changes, not sure how she will give any sort of meaningful contribution.

Clearly a lot of you are seeing something I am not, but just my .02

Reaction Score
I believe Mir will jump over Aubrey in the pecking order. I believe she has more basketball ability and she had a typical freshman season and could be getting a serious sophomore bump.
Mir will jump over Aubrey in the pecking order
Maybe, but when Mir lands she will still find herself in a long line for playing time. If Caroline the Charmer can play D, her shooting ability will put her ahead of both Aubrey and Mir. Azzi will take possession of one guard spot alongside Slim, so the variables will mostly be among the forwards (or tall guards). Evina and Nika will play fewer minutes, though I expect Geno to start both of his rising seniors (Christyn and Liv).

Reaction Score
I like Mir's game as well. I think that she will get better and gain more minutes for next year. When she played, she played her butt off! Her hustle, especially on the boards, was off the charts. Sure she missed shots. It happens. I just like the fact that she attacked the basket, wasn't afraid to battle the BIGS for rebounds, and her athleticism is going to be a huge plus. The key will be, her not losing that confidence. She can play. Just can't lose that confidence. Hopefully on the exit interview, the coaching staff gave her a list of things to work on over the next few months and then Mir taking that knowledge home and working on those things and getting better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gabby was also a superior athlete (actually an Olympic quality athlete) and it took her awhile to figure out the basketball stuff too. I think AB and Mir both suffered from the strange off season this past year - all the one on one work with coaches was missing from the shut down in March to late July. And then a large section of the fall was spent in pods.

Athletes can get away with relying on their athleticism in HS and AAU, come college at a high D1 level, and they need skills to go along with their speed and jumping abilities - takes a while of concentrated effort to gain that, and good coaching.
I agree, but some superior athletes will be too slow to develope those skills or will not develope. Gabby is quite the carrot, but given the choice between a recruit with good basketball skills and a recruit with superior athleticism but scant basketball skills who will take 2 seasons to put it together who would you choose. And before you choose, Aubrey has had two seasons and we are still waiting.

Reaction Score
Mir should do two things to move up in the rotation. Guard Paige, Azzi and CW every day in practice - hard. Make it tough on them. Show you can slow down top players, and make them better in the process.

And then set good screens on offense and be patient with the ball. I feel like she was too much in a hurry to score when she got in. If she cracks the rotation for the two reasons above, she’ll be left unguarded a lot - and then no need to force up difficult shots (same is true of AG for that matter).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
AB = Ashley Battle?

Reaction Score
Are you trolling? Who is AB? Aside from ONO, who doea have her limitations, we have AE, AD next season and Ice and AP in 2022...Who else does Geno need to recruit? Four of those players will be on the team at the same time, not to mention PG who is already on the team. Quit living in the past, a new day is here for post players at UConn!!
AB is Aubrey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104