Wishful Thinking | The Boneyard

Wishful Thinking

Reaction Score
I really would like to have Polley the last 2 games. Wonder if either outcome would be different.

Love Hurley, but think he coached them into a loss today. They built lead with lineup without Carlton. Aside from a quick breather, he should of let that squad try to close it out.

Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me how opinions on a board seem totally unshaped by reality.

Is Carlton the prototype 5 that would fit into Hurley's system? Absolutely not. Has he had a few too many stinkers this year? Absolutely. Did he play well and help the team yesterday? Without any doubt whatsoever. Even had he not been scoring efficiently (I could easily argue DH's and our biggest mistake was not getting him low block touches the last ten minutes) our inside defense was beyond phenomenal against a good team, and Carlton was a big part of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really would like to have Polley the last 2 games. Wonder if either outcome would be different.

Love Hurley, but think he coached them into a loss today. They built lead with lineup without Carlton. Aside from a quick breather, he should of let that squad try to close it out.
Because Hurley is to blame for Vital’s quick trigger NBA three brick, or Gilbert’s no look pass for a turnover... want me to find more examples during the last 4 minutes of the game?

Reaction Score
The AG pass was a killer. I hate quick 3's, but I didn't mind CV's attempt so much here. He was going for the dagger. To go up 9 at that point would have been huge.
I'm just not happy with a junior center, who I think had a decent first half, being such a defensive liability. He is constantly out of position. He was finishing his touches yesterday, which I'll take anyday, but he has to be better on defense.
I'm sure everybody remembers the block in the first half, but he also gave up several wide open 3's and again, how can you be underneath the hope with you back to your man with the ball. I just don't get it.
His run last year was impressive because he was scoring, but also rebounding at both ends and blocking shots while staying in his space. If he can return to that, then great.
I just think Hurley should have given the guys who went on the big run in the second half a chance to finish it together. If he needs to give Akok and Sid a breather, bring Josh in for a minute. But I still would like to have seen them get a chance to finish it out.
It's just my opinion and how I feel.

Reaction Score
What the last 2 games have shown is we’re better with a 3 guard lineup

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Because Hurley is to blame for Vital’s quick trigger NBA three brick, or Gilbert’s no look pass for a turnover... want me to find more examples during the last 4 minutes of the game?
please
How about the full game issues - Everyones inability to hit 3's, a complete no show by Bouk, Gaffney allowing Gillespie to catch fire, JC playing offense at the 3pt line the whole 2nd half and the entire offense standing and watching for extended periods during the 2nd half.
I thought the team, other than Gaff and Akok being a little late with his arms up, played some inspired defense.
I honestly didn't expect them to go to Nova and winning but the game was closer and entertaining.
However moral victories are not needed now

Reaction Score
We held the lead longer than Nova. In a vacuum we should have won, but we don't know how to close out because we've never had to close out a big win with this group.

People give teams standing ovations when they pull a ball out to reset the offense in close situations, we haven't had that luxury yet with this group. Part AG, part Vital, part Hurley.

Now are we better without Polley? Probably not because he was our best 3 point shooter. On the other side of the coin, he barely rebounded and was kind of a no-show in our bigger games this season.

His line against Indiana was probably his legit ceiling.

Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me how opinions on a board seem totally unshaped by reality.

Is Carlton the prototype 5 that would fit into Hurley's system? Absolutely not. Has he had a few too many stinkers this year? Absolutely. Did he play well and help the team yesterday? Without any doubt whatsoever. Even had he not been scoring efficiently (I could easily argue DH's and our biggest mistake was not getting him low block touches the last ten minutes) our inside defense was beyond phenomenal against a good team, and Carlton was a big part of it.
He started off the 2nd half with like 7 points, and didn’t get another touch in the paint. It perplexed me. Obviously no one on Nova could stop him from getting in deep. Hurley confuses me with his reads.

Reaction Score
Nova was playing like crap early yesterday, but bing bang with some 3's and their problems were erased. We can't do that. Everything goes right then we hit a dry spell, and climb our way back but without the 3 which is essential in college hoop we are always within grasp of losing.
The other thing is that without the 3 our offense always has to grind it out with no break. With Polley gone this is not a solvable problem this year and I do expect games where we shoot it better, but we seriously need a plus reliable shooter, someone who can relieve pressure on the fine line of winning and losing. Next year Polley plus one other, and who will that be? Please don't tell me Adams, Gaffney, Bouknight or AG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom