OT: - Wire Chief memorial quiz | The Boneyard

OT: Wire Chief memorial quiz

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I know I'm not doing it justice, but here's a quiz I threw together:

Wirechief memorial quiz

1)The diameter of a 6-32 screw is 0.138”. How is the diameter determined?
2) Why is washing hands with plain-old soap and water so effective against coronaviruses?

3) Kauai is the only of the major Hawaiian islands with a thriving bird population. Why?

4) “Cthulhu 2020: No lives matter.” Who is Cthulhu and why do no lives matter?

5) What book was giving Catherine Morland fits of fancy in Northanger Abbey? Was it a real book or one that Jane Austen made up?

6) Over 1000 Pissarro and 500 Monet paintings were destroyed in the early 1870’s. What were the circumstances?

7) What was the origin of the title, Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman?

8) When this Soviet/Russian composer died in 1936, many people were surprised because his music was so solidly Romantic, they thought he’d died several decades earlier.

9) One shouldn’t feed guinea pigs cruciferous vegetables because they can’t do what?

10) Almost all mammals have seven vertebrae in their necks. Name those that don’t (two or three, depending on how you count).

11) This book, which was made into a major motion picture starring Matt Damon, was one of the first self-published books to make a big splash.

12) Another satirical presidential campaign question: whose slogan was “Unencumbered by the thought process”?

13) Although Justin Hayward gets most of the press, this Moody Blues bassist wrote many of their biggest hits including “I’m just a singer in a rock and roll band” and “Ride my seesaw”. (Chief loved his Moodies)

14) In the Bones books, Temperance Brennan splits her time between which two cities?

15) In Mel Brooks’s Silent Movie, who is the only actor who speaks?

Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess there are only birds on that one Hawaiian island because all of the others have volcanoes and birds are afraid of volcanoes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
2- I think Soap mixes and changes the surface tension of the virus membrane and with the friction of hand rubbing, ruptures it
7- I think just a general reference to How humorous (drums / safe cracking etc) Nobel Laureate Richard Feynmann was.

Reaction Score
2. I believe soap breaks down the protein wall that covers the virus
13. John Lodge
15. The French guy I think - Marcel...?

Reaction Score
7. Richard Feynman was in graduate school at Princeton. The headmistress (or something like that) said that to him, based on something he said.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wild chickens all over Kuai. Escaped from a farm during a storm and breed like rabbits, er, chickens.

Reaction Score
Until I read this post I never realized that this Covid19 had so many symptoms.

Reaction Score
1) I think for a machine screw (i.e. “6-32”) it’s the distance from the outer surface on one side of the thread to the outer surface on the other side of the thread.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Nicely done!

3) No Rats?

9) Burp

10) Whales?

12) The Car Talk duo Tom and Ray

15) Marcel Marceau "Non!"

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wirechief memorial quiz
Well done!
  1. Use an ANSI screw chart. ;)
  2. Soap removes the fat from the virus causing it to come apart.
  3. No mongooses (mongeese?).
  4. When asked if he wanted lemon or milk with his tea, he replied both. He was new to the faculty tea ritual and nervous.
  5. Fart! Perhaps not all cruciferous vegetables. I know raw broccoli is permissable in moderation.
  6. Sloths and …
  7. The Martian

8. Hysterically Marcel Marceau
That was fun! Do it again! ;)

Reaction Score
4. Cthulu was the Dark Lord of the Underworld figuring prominently in books by H.P. Lovecraft

Reaction Score
2) Viruses stick to the oils on your hands. Soap can decrease surface tension, and the friction of rubbing can help wash away the viruses.

Soap molecules have hydrophilic parts and hydrophobic parts. The hydrophilic (polar) parts are soluble in water, and the hydrophobic (non-polar) parts can penetrate lipid membranes and rupture coronaviruses.

3) No rats and no mongooses/mongeese?

10) Bats? Giraffes? Whales?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
2 - soap breaks down the fat? layer that surrounds the virus.
3 - I had forgotten until someone said it here, but it is the mongoose absence. Heard all about it when we visited a few years back.
8 - Rimsky-Korsakov?
15 - Marcel Marceau. Young folks probably don't remember him. Great mime.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1) I think for a machine screw (i.e. “6-32”) it’s the distance from the outer surface on one side of the thread to the outer surface on the other side of the thread.
Oops! I was unclear. I meant, what is the relationship between the number and the outer diameter of a machine screw.

Y’all’re killing it so far. We’re just missing 1, 5, 8, and half of 10; sloths are correct.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
8. I'm pretty sure Rachmaninov died in the 40's, so I'll guess Alexander Glazunov.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Y'all got 14 out of 15!

1 -- This is the only one nobody got, maybe because of clunky phrasing. The outer diameter of a machine screw is (believe it or not) 0.060 + 0.013*the number. So a #0 is 0.060; 2 is 0.086 etc.

2 -- eebmg, Scud49, SVCBeercats, Cedar, and KnightBridgAZ are familiar with the slimy coronavirus

3 -- SVC, Knight, and Cedar; all the other Hawaiian Islands had mongoose introduced to control the rat population. The weasels like to sup on eggs.

4-- SoCal Canine knows his HP Lovecraft. A decade or two ago I saw a tee-shirt that said "Cthulhu for president: never mind the LESSER of two evils."

5 -- Blue Devil knows his Jane Austen. The Mysteries of Udolpho along with Ann Radcliffe's other novels are an interesting read, though nowhere as enjoyable as Miss Austen.

6 -- Blue Devil goes solo again. Pissarro and Monet had been living at a farm for some time and had to vacate as the Prussian army was approaching. The bastards used the paintings to cover the floor of the barn, where they camped for some time.

7 -- UConn82 and SVC (I knew he'd get this one)

8 -- ed4ourgirls sussed this one out

9 -- Rocket and SVC each took one end and together they provided the full answer

10 -- SVC got sloths correct (three-toes have six and two-toes 8 bones in their necks). The other, which was news to me, is the manatee

11 -- UConn82 and SVC identified the self-published book that made the author a mint.

12 -- Rocket009 got Click and Clack

13 -- Scud and UConn82 know that John Lodge is much more than "just" a singer in a rock and roll band

14 -- Ex-Nutmegger knows that the Bones books are very different from the TV show

15 -- We hear from DriveLH who joins a team of five to wrap things up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom